Jay Bamrah

What oil temp is bad

1 minute ago, Jay Bamrah said:

What temp is the point where you should slow down. I just got TORQUE PRO and I reached 114 degrees quite easily 

I have my alarm set for 120 and usually cool down when it reaches around that point up but will let it get to 125ish on occasions.

Do you have an oil cooler and is it on track or the road?

7 minutes ago, Deacon said:

I have my alarm set for 120 and usually cool down when it reaches around that point up but will let it get to 125ish on occasions.

Do you have an oil cooler and is it on track or the road?

Well currently I just have the TD NA KIT so no oil cooler no. I’m doing stage 1+ oil cooler + clutch on the 29th so I was just trying to learn how to monitor my cars health etc.

oh and road use

An oil cooler should sort it out without too much issue especially on the road. With an oil cooler fitted I don't think you'll trouble the temps much on the road and will probably want to block it come winter time.

Just now, Deacon said:

An oil cooler should sort it out without too much issue especially on the road. With an oil cooler fitted I don't think you'll trouble the temps much on the road and will probably want to block it come winter time.

Does it not auto block when the cars cold

4 minutes ago, Jay Bamrah said:

Does it not auto block when the cars cold

There'll probably be a thermostat (I don't know much about the TD kit) but it's usually quite high as default. Even with a thermostat there is still oil pass through though so it'll still cool a reasonable amount compared to not running a cooler thus giving the need to blank it off come winter time.

Do you think it’s bad to run an oil cooler on the car during winter for road and daily use? I’m really on the fence about getting one as the car takes a while to heat up in the winter.

You ideally don't want it going above 125°c, without an oil cooler. It'd take some going to get it that hot on the street mind. 

Just make sure you run a decent oil and you should be fine. 

For referrence I'll happy run laps on the track with my oil at 125°c so long as it's stable at that temperature. However I'm also running Millers Nanodrive CFS oil, which is rated for 125°c with temperature spikes upto 150°c.

1 hour ago, Luke said:

Do you think it’s bad to run an oil cooler on the car during winter for road and daily use? I’m really on the fence about getting one as the car takes a while to heat up in the winter.

I don't have a major problem with doing it. I swapped the thermostat for a lower temperature one and just use a plate to blank the cooler off through the winter.

My TD oil cooler thermostat comes in around 70°c. I leave it running all year round and on most street driving it gets up to around 80°c during the warmer months and when I was N/A my oil was registering at 67°c during a snowstorm on a 55mph motorway.

On the track I tend not to let the oil go above 115°c, no particular reason, and I've taken it as high as 120°c (all with turbo).

Just my 2c. Personally I like to keep my engine, gearbox oil, diff oil & radiator all under 100c on track. Thats what I was aiming for when doing all my upgrades.

18 hours ago, Luke said:

Slowing your warm-up has implications for lubrication in short hops and for driving moisture out of the oil. It also means you ought to be taking it easy for longer until you're at thrash temperature. This one impacted me most in a car with oil coolers - it took ages to get to the fun part of the drive.

To my mind it makes more sense to keep the track sessions shorter and change the oil if it gets a real cooking, but it really depends on how much track time you put in. A blankable cooler is a nice compromise provided you don't forget about it.

On 9/14/2021 at 8:03 AM, GravelRash said:

My TD oil cooler thermostat comes in around 70°c. I leave it running all year round and on most street driving it gets up to around 80°c during the warmer months and when I was N/A my oil was registering at 67°c during a snowstorm on a 55mph motorway.

On the track I tend not to let the oil go above 115°c, no particular reason, and I've taken it as high as 120°c (all with turbo).

So if it kicks in at 70 then my cold starts shouldn’t be effected ?