Booboo

Spigot ring issue

Currently having an issue sourcing the correct Spigot rings

Purchased a set of Work Kiwami 18x8.5 ET38 alloys and the set sent by the retailer do not fit.  Unfortunately, they have said the ones sent are the only ones they supply, and are correcly sized. They admit they indeed do not fit the wheels purchased but as they dont have an alternative,  advised I could always shave a few mil off each to make them fit.  Not really what I expected to hear after the money spent with them but hey ho🤨

Although the rings are marked with the correct inner 56.1mm bore and the correct outer 60.1mm the issue I have is the tapered section is too tall and therefor sits proud on the face. See pic.

I have since rang six companies advertised on the net and they all only have the same beige rings in that size.  The only one that looks to be ideal (shorter tapered section) is the black one, (pic below) found on a French site but they have no stock! 

Does anyone have these WORK wheels or ones with the same inner bore size on their twin?  Any advice or recommendation on where I can source the correct ones without the lottery of just buy and see or having to go custom made would be appreciated.

Spigot ring.jpeg

Spigot ring low taper.jpg

My advise would be driving without them. They are only there to simplify a bit putting on. They do nothing once wheel properly torqued down. If you are ok with slightly less convenient putting wheel on, there is no drawback with driving w/o them.

Have a look at the Rays hub rings, they don’t have the tapered section at the bottom. Have a chat with Lucas at Part-box, pretty sure that’s where I bought mine.

38 minutes ago, Church said:

My advise would be driving without them. They are only there to simplify a bit putting on. They do nothing once wheel properly torqued down. If you are ok with slightly less convenient putting wheel on, there is no drawback with driving w/o them.

Hi Church. I've read conflicting info ref the negative effects of not using them but agree,  mounting and removing would be far easier and less likely to result in damage to the locating holes of the wheels or nuts with some fitted and would prefer to have a set on.

20 minutes ago, Neil-h said:

Have a look at the Rays hub rings, they don’t have the tapered section at the bottom. Have a chat with Lucas at Part-box, pretty sure that’s where I bought mine.

Cheers Neil

That's a good call, thanks

Totally agree with Church. In my opinion they are only there to make sure the wheels are lined up when fitting. If they were load bearing or important they wouldn’t make them out of soft plastics.

I know some people/sites say spigot rings do something load related but I just cant see how a plastic ring wont flex if there was movement in the studs.

The way I look at it, get spigot that fit if you can find them but use metal ones not plastic ones. And if you can’t find spigots that fit then don’t bother with them.

Looking at your pictures they look like plastic spigots and they only appear to stand 1-2mm proud; do you think if you put them on as they are anyway they wouldn't compress a bit or move inward under the torquing of the wheel nuts?

4 hours ago, Booboo said:

Hi Church. I've read conflicting info ref the negative effects of not using them but agree,  mounting and removing would be far easier and less likely to result in damage to the locating holes of the wheels or nuts with some fitted and would prefer to have a set on.

Conflicting info from whom? From misc endusers, views of whom have been nurtured from various sources, including "reliable" gut feel & myths they heard? :). If even wheel manufacturers and tuning shops say that hubcentric centering rings are convenience item to ease mount but not required for properly mounted wheel, i see no reason to not trust them. So if you have those wheels you can start using them right away, just torque lugnuts properly, in star fashion and for right torque value, recheck torque after driving some mileage, and you should be ok/safe. For said convenience in background you can search/find hubcentric rings that fit your wheels, but their absence shouldn't keep you from using wheels already now.

Normally it's friction between hub and tightened down wheel that keeps wheel in place. With great force (as probably with heavy hits you'll rather break/bend wheel, instead of it slipping from hub). And properly tightened in star fashion lugnuts with conical lug seat do the centering job. Hubrings just ease putting wheel on (especially on cars with lug bolts instead of lug nuts, like eg. bmw). Even with hubcentric ring, if wheel is not properly tightened, it will still slip and break studs (or lug bolts) even with ring in place, ring alone or studs/lugbolts(that are not designed for strong enough side bending force) just cannot carry any meaningful load such as car weight.