Leeky

Anyone using the MCA Traction Mod kit?

Hey peeps,

I picked up this MCA Traction Mod kit from Fensport. Thought I'd give it a try as the US/Australia guys rave about them.

Just curious if anyone on here has ever tried them?

https://mcasuspension.com/shop/product/548/Traction-Mod-for-Toyota-86-and-BRZ-Black

I know there are angled/adjustable rear arms out there that can effectively do the same thing, but if you are running the stock rear arms this is a cheaper alternative to achieve the same result and it doesn't affect your geometry. I like the idea that I can fit these and then I don't need to have my suspension setup adjusted.

Anyway I'll be fitting these in the next few weeks and will report back for anyone interested.

adjustable rear arms add camber adjustment. (stock for twins there is only toe adjustment in front and rear)

this traction mod modifies pickup point, as in car suspension behaves, when you transfer mass to rear, when adding gas, changing a bit traction for accelerating out of corners.

i myself get a bit of that stuff by toe-in in rear (which adds stability/self centering of that axle. it's also in stock alignment).

Have you lowered the suspension already? As by my understanding dropping the right height will also achieve the same result as long as the suspension is loaded.

1 hour ago, Neil-h said:

Have you lowered the suspension already? As by my understanding dropping the right height will also achieve the same result as long as the suspension is loaded.

No I’m running standard suspension. I personally think its perfect out of the factory so I’ve no plans to ever lower it.

I think you’d probably have to lower it a lot to get the arm into the same position? If you did I expect it would probably then be too low to realistically use it on track without grounding out or rubbing.

If you mostly only track car, OE alignment is very off for such use. Mostly - due insufficient camber all around, especially in front. Car is too understeer biased and sees heavy camber wear for tires with ripped tire outer sides while almost no wear on insides (and due such uneven contact for use at track also reduced grip). Though OE brakes usually is first limit one hits at track/HPDE (but with not too grippy tires usually good track pads and better brake fluid might be sufficient), OE alignment is next limitation one hits. If by OE there is zero front camber, -1dg rear camber, then more optimal for track would be -3 to -3.5 degrees front camber and -2.5dg rear camber.

I really am fine with the pre-facelift OE alignment. I’ve only ever noticed understeer when trying to apply too much power exiting corners before i’ve managed to straightening up the front wheels enough. But thats a bit of a given with any RWD car.

I’ve also never noticed any accelerated/uneven wear on my tyres and im on my 3rd or 4th set. I was on AD08R’s for a while but have now switched to Eagle F1 Asym5’s.

Yes I noticed that once you up the power the OE brakes start to reach their limit even with uprated pads. I’ve got a BBK front and back now with 5.1 and braided hoses since going Supercharger.

Went to fit it today. Its quite incredible the stock arm angle when the wheels are hanging.

You can see from the pictures the difference these mounts make. Once the weight of the car is back on the wheels the arm will be pretty much horizontal now.

Three things that aren’t mentioned in the instructions -

1) That its much easier to do this with the wheels off. I’d have saved a lot of time by starting with removing the wheels.

2) The torque settings (140nm for the large bolt going into the floor. 70nm for the two small bolts next to it and 110nm for the bolts either end of the trailing arm)

3) The bolts either end of the trailing arm cannot be reused as they stretch. I found this out the hard way. So the car is still on axel stands waiting for 4x new bolts to turn up. Part No - SU003-02819 (around £11 each!)

Hopefully next weekend i’ll be able to tell you how the car drives after fitting these.

4F34E29B-223F-4883-B7B7-0AD97748F11E.jpeg

4F0EC718-7477-464A-B6AD-B23ED20533E6.jpeg

So I just took the car out for a drive. The first thing I notice straight away is a feeling of stiffness in the rear subframe which wasn’t there before.

I know its not stiffer, but the way the back end moves around now is akin to how it feels when you stiffen up the rear.

I need to drive it in anger on track to see the full benefits but so far really impressed.