Jay Bamrah

Can you increase HP without increasing torque

25 minutes ago, MartinT said:

Interesting as I'm running 1st cat delete with stock 2nd cat.

The Harrop is a nice bit of kit, isn't it?

Yeah its been great, coming up to a year on this setup. Mark explained that the stock manifold, 2nd cat delete is more restrictive, hence I'm making lower torque and hp, around 265nm, and 240 hub - but have the 2nd cat ready to go back in at the point I upgrade the manifold..I'm tempted to go the same route as you with the rogue at some point..but to be honest the car is plenty quick enough as it is for the amount I'm driving it for now :)

3 hours ago, AndyK said:

I think TD Turbo makes c.230lb.ft, so >310nm. Something worth considering..or it was around that when I looked at both options. My spec is similar to Martins, slightly lower as I'm running stock manifold with 2nd cat delete, with Harrop SC.

I was set on supercharger at first but then I was thinking about it and I know they’re so linear and so fourth but that’s also the biggest reason I like turbo because I get that kick so it makes it seem faster even if it isn’t you know. What made you decide harrop for u 

Answering that question for me, I've had a supercharger before (Sprintex on Honda CR-Z) so I knew what to expect. I like the big engine feel with a good slug of torque across the rev range. I like the predictability, especially in the wet. I like the instant response and I strongly dislike turbo lag.

Sent from my Oppo X3 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, MartinT said:

Answering that question for me, I've had a supercharger before (Sprintex on Honda CR-Z) so I knew what to expect. I like the big engine feel with a good slug of torque across the rev range. I like the predictability, especially in the wet. I like the instant response and I strongly dislike turbo lag.

Why do you “strongly” dislike it? I fully understand how the linear power is predictable so it’s much easier to control especially in the wet which means u can push the car more under control but I didn’t think I would hear someone say they hate the turbo kick 😂

33 minutes ago, Jay Bamrah said:
Why do you “strongly” dislike it? I fully understand how the linear power is predictable so it’s much easier to control especially in the wet which means u can push the car more under control but I didn’t think I would hear someone say they hate the turbo kick

You are misquoting. He said he dislikes Turbo lag , which is the first thing that happens before the kick comes in.
And these things divide opinion, such is their nature!
PS, I thought after the poor manifold install experience of missing a nut and a bolt, TD was out of your consideration. Fensport do AVO turbo which is a much better OE like design, similar to what Subaru have in their WRX cars. Why not consider them, if you still insist on turbo and keeping the car above 3/ 3.5K RPM to keep the turbo spooling..

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, Jay Bamrah said:

I was set on supercharger at first but then I was thinking about it and I know they’re so linear and so fourth but that’s also the biggest reason I like turbo because I get that kick so it makes it seem faster even if it isn’t you know. What made you decide harrop for u 

Similar to Martin, it came down to having instant torque delivery and general responsiveness. Car has plenty of low down grunt now, and power continues nicely higher in the revs. Ultimately, it's an expensive purchase either route (both transform the car) so if you don't have a clear preference in your mind perhaps give Abbey (I'd recommend these guys from my experience) or Fensport a call, and if their demo cars are avaliable it'll help you decide.

12 hours ago, BRZ-123 said:

You are misquoting. emoji12.png He said he dislikes Turbo lag , which is the first thing that happens before the kick comes in.
And these things divide opinion, such is their nature!
PS, I thought after the poor manifold install experience of missing a nut and a bolt, TD was out of your consideration. Fensport do AVO turbo which is a much better OE like design, similar to what Subaru have in their WRX cars. Why not consider them, if you still insist on turbo and keeping the car above 3/ 3.5K RPM to keep the turbo spooling..

I think the TD kit looks cooler than avo and as a daily driver a turbo gets better MPG vs a supercharger plus that lag  means when the turbo kicks in it makes the car feel faster even if it is no faster I find. I like the screamer pipe also.

2 hours ago, AndyK said:

Similar to Martin, it came down to having instant torque delivery and general responsiveness. Car has plenty of low down grunt now, and power continues nicely higher in the revs. Ultimately, it's an expensive purchase either route (both transform the car) so if you don't have a clear preference in your mind perhaps give Abbey (I'd recommend these guys from my experience) or Fensport a call, and if their demo cars are avaliable it'll help you decide.

Thanks I might try do that actually 

I think the TD kit looks cooler than avo and as a daily driver a turbo gets better MPG vs a supercharger plus that lag  means when the turbo kicks in it makes the car feel faster even if it is no faster I find. I like the screamer pipe also.
Now that you have made your mind up and are in the emotional zone , it looks good, it sounds good, you should not delay further. Speak to TD, book an appointment, drop the cash, get it done!

2 hours ago, MartinT said:

As for economy, I get 32.1mpg on mostly motorway commute. That's pretty respectable.

Mines 25.5 currently so hell yeah it is😂

3 minutes ago, BRZ-123 said:

And listen to this

Yeah I get what he is saying 😂but just driving to work if I stay under 3k rpm I will be like NA

Yeah I get what he is saying but just driving to work if I stay under 3k rpm I will be like NA

With you getting the MPG you are getting NA, I cant see that happening

Get it done now you are so clear in your head and tell us how you get on with your MPG

I can see when I'm boosting with my Scangauge. Cruising on the motorway is off boost. Overtaking usually gets positive boost showing, especially if I just hoof it in 6th to get past tiresome lane hoggers when it shows 0.4bar and pulls well.

Mostly, it's off boost and the economy is good.