Jay Bamrah

Weird noise?

Just curious what everyone thinks this noise is. It appears then disappears and does it quite regularly. The constant noise is the classic cricketing  I believe so? You have to have your volume loud it’s not the most obvious noise. 

just interested what people think 

You'll be able to see the revs adjusting at warm idle in combination with that click if it's the aircon as it loads and unloads the accessory belt. It sounds like aircon, as (almost) everything else under the bonnet is tied directly to engine RPMs.

4 minutes ago, MartinT said:

Agreed.  The only other thing that cycles like that is the electric fan.

So you guys think if I turn off my air con it will go away? I get my car back on Friday so I will test that and see if that was it. 

thanks guys for the help!

The constant noise isn't crickets its your direct injectors, they are noisy by design.

The clunk is the clutch of your A/C engaging as others has mentioned, but the brief rattle once it kicks in is unusual, although its something i wouldn't be concerned about.

24 minutes ago, Varelco said:

The constant noise isn't crickets its your direct injectors, they are noisy by design.

The clunk is the clutch of your A/C engaging as others has mentioned, but the brief rattle once it kicks in is unusual, although its something i wouldn't be concerned about.

Okay thankyou, why wouldn’t it concern you if it’s not meant to be doing it?

Why it's not meant to? Isn't it normal operating mode of it, that it with that clunk engages when asked to by A/C climate control and disengages to save fuel when wished temps reached? Obviously louder if listening with hood opened, less from inside car .. which, to keep weight light has little noise insulation on these cars.

1 minute ago, Church said:

Why it's not meant to? Isn't it normal operating mode of it, that it with that clunk engages when asked to by A/C climate control and disengages to save fuel when wished temps reached? Obviously louder if listening with hood opened, less from inside car .. which, to keep weight light has little noise insulation on these cars.

I have had my car from 30-34k miles and it’s only been making this noise for 3 days. I use AC every time I’m in my car so something must have changed in that period is why I’m thinking it can’t be good 

13 minutes ago, GravelRash said:

Maybe you just tuned into it. I'd been driving mine for months before suddenly becoming aware of a noise whilst cruising on a motorway. Turned out to the air-con clutch.

Okay good point, I have my service in august so il ask them to just look at it while there but the fact everyone’s thinking the same thing is helping settle my nerves a bit knowing it isn’t something worse so thankyou