Jay Bamrah

Best oil to get for my Subaru BRZ

My Subaru BRZ has ow-20 oil. It has a decat UEL header and tune from TD developments.

does anyone recommend a certain oil brand or anything? I know I need ow-20 but I don’t know if it’s that simple or if brands matter etc 

I’d personally just use Toyota’s own 0w-20. Its about £40 for 5 litres.

However…if you are feeling particularly spendy this stuff is £99 for 5 litres…

221750A0-FE01-42AA-BF5A-D19AC637DEAC.jpeg

49 minutes ago, Leeky said:

I’d personally just use Toyota’s own 0w-20. Its about £40 for 5 litres.

However…if you are feeling particularly spendy this stuff is £99 for 5 litres…

221750A0-FE01-42AA-BF5A-D19AC637DEAC.jpeg

I just got a 1L MOBIL ow-20 as it’s all I had at my local Halfords and I needed oil badly. But moving forwards I would defo bulk buy it to save money however I would still get the best quality one not best value for money one. I don’t really know how much brands can vary on an oil so I thought best to ask and maybe some people will know.

I see that oil says it’s for the GR and supra at the bottom is there a BRZ version ?

I just got a 1L MOBIL ow-20 as it’s all I had at my local Halfords and I needed oil badly. But moving forwards I would defo bulk buy it to save money however I would still get the best quality one not best value for money one. I don’t really know how much brands can vary on an oil so I thought best to ask and maybe some people will know.
I see that oil says it’s for the GR and supra at the bottom is there a BRZ version ?
Odd that you needed oil badly. Is your car burning/ losing oil as these motors rarely need a top up outside of regular service intervals.? How much did you need to use from that 1L bottle.

Oils are a very emotive topic. Easiest is to give it to a reputable garage who use quality branded fully synthetic oils like Mobil1, Shell Helix Ultra, Castrol Edge. With oil weight , you also should look for API SN certified.

Now to doing it the OCD way. Buy a Millers oil test kit for circa £50 and do an oil analysis everytime you change to test your oil and engine health.

What I will recommend is a Grade 4 PAO or Grade 5 Ester based synthetic. The big brands that I mention above are Grade 3.

This then limits you to Motul 300V, Gulf Competition, Fuchs Titan Race and Millers CFS or Millers EE Nanodrive which are the best of the best. Best place to buy these are online from Opie Oils.

Am sure this GR oil will be Ester based Grade 5 synthetic, hence the high sticker price.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, Jay Bamrah said:

Its just a branding gimmick. There is nothing in this oil that would stop you using it on a BRZ/86/Supra/GR Yaris etc.

Generally speaking, any fully synthetic 0w-20 would do. This is all thats mentioned in the owners manual.

E80B3967-25E6-46F3-AD96-C1555F0D63D3.jpeg

Its just a branding gimmick. There is nothing in this oil that would stop you using it on a BRZ/86/Supra/GR Yaris etc.
Generally speaking, any fully synthetic 0w-20 would do. This is all thats mentioned in the owners manual.

E80B3967-25E6-46F3-AD96-C1555F0D63D3.thumb.jpeg.3678d54e741c7c87f1bbba2e066659b9.jpeg
Is that from your Toyota manual@Leeky or from a different country?
My Subaru manual says 5W-30 not 5W-20 as an alternate oil choice , which is much more widely available. Interesting!
20180806_191651.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk