The Minion

FB and rival Club Stands

The forums seem to be getting ignored when events are arranged and people NOT on FB don't get to hear about them.

A lot of forum type questions get asked on FB when the answers are on the club forums, which can be searched for (not on FB!). This results in the same old questions being asked. FB users need to be pointed in the direction of the 2 existing forums, Drivers' Club and Owners' Club.

Another club has started up (Cult 86 which I admittedly have joined) that are having separate Club Stands at shows i.e Japfest Silverstone surely we all want a gathering together of as many 86's as possible not rival stands!

A question I would ask is why Cult 86 didn't speak to us about joining with our stand seeing as it's been organised for a year and a half. Cult 86 could have had a section on our stand. Maybe you should ask them? 

GT86 OC have always been invited to join us at Japfest. 

The GT86 DC FB page is exactly that. It is not a joint venture with the OC. 

If you would like to liaise with Cult 86 and direct them here, Jeff, Will and I would be more than happy to talk. 

People will always ask the same questions over and over. It's simply the nature of the beast. We can't really help that many spend their entire lives on FB and don't look at forums, it's just the way things have gone. 

5 hours ago, Lauren said:

A question I would ask is why Cult 86 didn't speak to us about joining with our stand seeing as it's been organised for a year and a half. Cult 86 could have had a section on our stand. Maybe you should ask them? 

GT86 OC have always been invited to join us at Japfest. 

The GT86 DC FB page is exactly that. It is not a joint venture with the OC. 

If you would like to liaise with Cult 86 and direct them here, Jeff, Will and I would be more than happy to talk. 

People will always ask the same questions over and over. It's simply the nature of the beast. We can't really help that many spend their entire lives on FB and don't look at forums, it's just the way things have gone. 

All valid points @Lauren … I am newbie but there seems to be some breakdown in communication between the various groups (I am assuming a lot of us end up being members across these groups)

It will be a shame to see the GT86/BRZ community split at Japfest considering we would like to make our presence felt in numbers

While there is clearly a need for the admins across these groups to have that chat, is it possible to speak with the Japfest organisers to get the GT86 DC / GT86 OC / Cult 86 club stands together for this event.

we can surely try and not repeat such a scenarios for future events

@Mani I'm a little surprised that Sam Hardy has not approached the drivers club in the first instance. That would have been the easy way. There is no breakdown in communication. Sam at Cult 86 has simply not consulted us. Then people seem to be aking us why. If Sam wishes to combine Cult 86 with the DC then all he had to do is ask. Simple stuff you'd think?

Cult 86 has 66 FB members. GT86 BRZ DC has over 11,600 I cannot think why it would be my job to chase them? 

On 6/19/2021 at 6:17 PM, The Minion said:

The forums seem to be getting ignored when events are arranged and people NOT on FB don't get to hear about them.

A lot of forum type questions get asked on FB when the answers are on the club forums, which can be searched for (not on FB!). This results in the same old questions being asked. FB users need to be pointed in the direction of the 2 existing forums, Drivers' Club and Owners' Club.

Nothing there that I find that surprising, seems to me that the key question any GT86/BRZ owner needs to ask themselves is:

Do I love events more than I hate Facebook?

In my case that's probably a "No" (for the time being at least).

I definitely quite like the idea of going to the odd low key meet / 'event' (I tagged along to the recent Midlands meet that Will300 kindly bothers to arrange) I definitely don't like the idea of being on Facebook again anyway, even less so if I'm also risking loads of regular questions about flat batteries and tail-light condensation 😠

Possibly one of the best things for me about the Midlands meet is I didn't need to go on Facebook to find out about it as Will publicises it on both forums 😃

To me it makes sense they want their own stand at Japfest. There was already two existing GT86 clubs, they decided they wanted to be different so made their own club, fair enough. 

If you're going to the effort to make your own club, why would you then want to join existing clubs stands? It would defeat the whole point, unless I've missed something?

I put events both on FB and on the forum.

Its only natural that some people would be only on FB (and I guess many international FB group members may not have heard of the forum).

Nothing beats meeting in person though, whether its official event, unofficial get-together or a track day. Its good we have club members (Will, Simon, Sam 😀) who regularly organize things and put them in our diaries!

Hi Sam here 👋🏼

I would like to highlight a few things as I see there are a few people out there who have clearly noticed Cult 86. It was a small group of us that generally grew organically, hence why we decided to turn it in to a group.

The GT86 community is a great and I (and other group founders) haven't intended to create a rival group as such. Just a more active group with a mainly events based focus.

You are more than welcome to contact me with regards to any collaborative events.

No rivalry intended so please don't begin to spread rumours and turn it into something isn't. We have a great community and it would be nice to keep it that way.

The reason for sharing the events on other pages on social media is to give as many people the opportunity to get involved.

If you are not active on social media feel free to sign up to the cult 86 site to keep up to date on events we are organising.

Fair comment, Sam. Speaking for myself and the club, I have absolutely no problem with other groups, doing their own thing, I totally understand that and support it and the community. Variety is a good thing and it is never ever going to be the case  that there can be only one club. 

We are always happy to work together with other clubs, no problem at all. 

I think when the OP started the thread it came across I fully expect unintentionally that there was some rivalry, when of course there is not. 

The only issue I would say that did arise, is that it's considered poor netiquette to wish to advertise an event such as the C&M event on our FB page from another group as Seb did without asking first. In the matter of further events, just let us know. For example with the GT86 OC, we always post on their forum explicitly inviting them to join us. For the other main GT86/BRZ FB page we have an arrangement where we advertise any of the events we have on their page as they are more of a FB group than a club per se. 

It was me that shared the event on the Facebook page. That's why you have admin on a Facebook page who can choose to accept or decline posts on the page (moderate). I took some constructive criticism from both Will and Alex and as a result created separate events on each page and stated that it was hosted by cult 86 (as we put the legwork in to organise a meet). 

We had a Caffiene and Machine meet we were planning, but I chose to share it to the page as I noticed other members of the owners group wanted to go, hence why I shared it to give everyone the opportunity to attend.

I would also like to point out that I organised the previous Caffiene and Machine meet for the owners club off my own back too.

With regards to future events I am happy to share what we are organising to give people the opportunity to join but it is also down to people to look for events to attend themselves. Hence why we launched our website before the FB page. FB is just a good platform for creating events and monitoring attendance.