Sign in to follow this  
saxon

brake pads/discs - main stealer or local garage?

I'm getting the teeltale screech from one of my (I think rear) wheels and so presume the pads and possibly discs need changing.

Local Toyota garage quoted around £220 for either front or rear pads fitted

Around £360 If it needs pads and discs per axle fitted

I am in the 5 year service club as it's a 2014 GT86 so I think I get 20% discount on these prices.

Sounds a lot to me but then they might be some fancy Brembo things even though they're just the stock fitment.  Is it likely to be worth me trying a local garage to have the work done?  Just wondering if I will save much?

Bit brassic at present due furlough etc so grateful for any tips!  I do have a local mechanic I use on another car who charges £45/hr labour but it's a question of whether it will end up saving much.  I followed a link on the forum where somebody linked to some Brembo discs for £110 a set of two discs.  Pads are a further £40 ish per axle as far as I can tell.  So that's around £150 per axle, but the question is how many hours labour to replace discs and pads?

Saxon

If finances are impt , use your local guy. Euro Car parts / CarParts4Less are same company. Pick Brembos or Pagid from them and replace. Discs don't always need doing, unless you did track time , every 2 pads , one set of discs is thumb rule.

Just get pads done and see of you really need discs,your local can advise.

On time taken discs + pads front and rear is about 3 to 3.5 hrs altogether. Just pads should be done in less than 2 hrs.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, saxon said:

I'm getting the teeltale screech from one of my (I think rear) wheels and so presume the pads and possibly discs need changing.

Local Toyota garage quoted around £220 for either front or rear pads fitted

Around £360 If it needs pads and discs per axle fitted

I am in the 5 year service club as it's a 2014 GT86 so I think I get 20% discount on these prices.

Sounds a lot to me but then they might be some fancy Brembo things even though they're just the stock fitment.  Is it likely to be worth me trying a local garage to have the work done?  Just wondering if I will save much?

Bit brassic at present due furlough etc so grateful for any tips!  I do have a local mechanic I use on another car who charges £45/hr labour but it's a question of whether it will end up saving much.  I followed a link on the forum where somebody linked to some Brembo discs for £110 a set of two discs.  Pads are a further £40 ish per axle as far as I can tell.  So that's around £150 per axle, but the question is how many hours labour to replace discs and pads?

Saxon

Labour per axle if you havent done it before (and have the tools) Probably an hour or so. If its something you've done on other cars, 30-40mins or so per axle.

Tools required:

Caliper Retractor/big ass screwdriver

17&15mm socket (I think, but a socket set will cover you).

Red/Silicon Grease for the slide pins, 

Copper Grease

Torque Wrench

Jack

You can find the torque settings in the thread here.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19673

If youre doing the rear disks, you'll need to wind the handbrake off the disks by removing the rubber gromet from the disk, have that located at the bottom. The bit at the bottom of the pic with the spokes pointing out (visible through the newly revealed hole in the disk). Turn it one way with a screwdriver through the hole, it pushes/pulls the shoes from the disks, that will allow easy removal. Dont forget to wind it back in on the new set until tight and release it 2-3 notches otherwise the handbrake will do sweet FA.

IMAG0384.jpg

Borg and Beck discs are very good and very cheap on ebay. OEM spec for a quarter of the price.

£46 for a pair of 294mm Front discs (BBD4119)

£42 for a pair of 290mm Rear discs (BBD5412)

Their brake pads aren’t too bad from what i’ve heard. But haven’t tried the pads myself. I had great results on track running the Cosworth pads on Borg and Beck discs before going big brake upgrade.