ThatGuyThere

HKS Supercharger - Design Flaw

1 hour ago, MartinT said:

@ThatGuyThere you got your answer from the above.  What more do you expect?

Have you asked HKS directly?  Did you get more information from them?

They didn't reply to emails or voicemails.

I wanted to understand what has changed in the design. It's fine, I guess that's all the info Mark has to share.

From this chain, the only conclusions I can draw is that the HKS kit has had known faults and numerous fails from looking at various forums. It is potentially fixed but details are very sketchy if not opaque to say the least and there is no documentation to be pointed to and HKS have not done a recall for what was a shoddy product. It is not recommendable hence.

What is still very unclear is whether HKS honor the warranty or the authorised installer does and if they did let the OP down. If its the latter, I can see why OP is upset and if its the former, the resolution needs to be with HKS who are also letting the OP down who seems to be between a rock and a hard place.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, BRZ-123 said:

From this chain, the only conclusions I can draw is that the HKS kit has had known faults and numerous fails from looking at various forums. It is potentially fixed but details are very sketchy if not opaque to say the least and there is no documentation to be pointed to and HKS have not done a recall for what was a shoddy product. It is not recommendable hence.

What is still very unclear is whether HKS honor the warranty or the authorised installer does and if they did let the OP down. If its the latter, I can see why OP is upset and if its the former, the resolution needs to be with HKS who are also letting the OP down who seems to be between a rock and a hard place.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Agreed with all of that.

Mine failed outside of warranty period, but after very few miles. Mark was helpful diagnosing remotely that the SC had failed and I didn't feel he was in anyway responsible at the time, but I did assume that no reputable people were still selling the HKS SC due to the many documented failures. Mine was a V2 fitted in 2015.

I did a lot of reading around the topic when mine failed, and I've kept an eye on topics since then, and as per my comments above - Mark's comment this week was the first and only acknowledgement I've seen that HKS accepted there was an issue and had changed the design. But from Mark's lack of detail I'm suspecting there hasn't been any changes made and it's more that no one buys the HKS kit any longer because there are several alternatives without poor reputations. Hard to know, but I'd still stand by my strong recommendation that the HKS unit is to be avoided.

Why am I shady? 

so with a little work I can work out who you are? 

The kit was updated after the issues that I said about above , with a little time on Google your see the HKS kit part number has changed. We have sold a fair few of the later kits ( early kits that failed while in warranty where replaced with the Up-dated kit)

Just remembered I had to chase you for my loaner Ecutek kit took you over a month of chasing for it to be returned?

Did you sell the car?