ThatGuyThere

HKS Supercharger - Design Flaw

On 5/26/2021 at 3:33 PM, Winterhalder said:

Mark and I have been chatting for a few months now as I have given him a verbal commitment for this SC. Unfortunately, Harrop are having stock issues and an ETA is not available. I am gutted and considering the HKS SC but everything I am told (primarily through Mark) is that it is quite different and the Harrop sounds like what I'm after - consistent improved torque through the revs, without any lag or surge (as is the case with a TC). If anyone at all has any comments or suggestions; hidden stock of the TVS1320, re-consideration of the HKS, alternate SC options, or any general thoughts - I would appreciate hearing them. Have really been looking forward to driving my boosted GT86 this summer! (with or without lockdown!).

HKS has a design flaw and should be avoided.

I don't think the turbos really have a lag issue, but can't personally testify. Can absolutely testify to the HKS being a shit design though!

43 minutes ago, ThatGuyThere said:

HKS has a design flaw and should be avoided.

I don't think the turbos really have a lag issue, but can't personally testify. Can absolutely testify to the HKS being a shit design though!

There was an issue with the earlier Kits that have been sorted , I being a HKS dealer and a well known tuner wouldn't be selling something that isn't

good

5 hours ago, Mark@Abbey M/S said:

There was an issue with the earlier Kits that have been sorted , I being a HKS dealer and a well known tuner wouldn't be selling something that isn't

good

"sorted" how?

They certainly didn't sort their many customers who wasted 7k on a kit and install which failed after less than 10k miles. Loads of documented cases. They didn't even reply to enquiries.

To follow up, if you and them acknowledge a design flaw, why have neither done the decent thing and compensated the people who were sold a faulty product?

Genuinely astonished to hear you say this.

You DID supply and fit the original kit, which you now say was flawed. Were you not a well known tuner then? Or was the design not flawed? It can't be both Mark, sorry.

3 hours ago, Mark@Abbey M/S said:

Cosworth full kit (headers/exhaust) and SC kit with stock pulley and stock Cosworth tune  versus Harrop running stock pulley but full stock exhaust system inc both CATS. The one with the dip is the Cosworth the green single is the Harrop, BHP figures is at the HUBS

Sold a faulty product.

Still selling what is now well-known to be a faulty product.

Ignoring a simple question to clarify.

2 hours ago, ThatGuyThere said:

Sold a faulty product.

Still selling what is now well-known to be a faulty product.

Ignoring a simple question to clarify.

I been slow as I have been super busy @ Abbey HQ , 

Okay , can we all be transparent then ,  can we have your names and not your forum names. I thin this is the way forward.

Thanks

I'd just like to understand what has been changed in the design of the HKS supercharger. Not an unreasonable question. You had the time to reply to many other comments today, post screenshots etc.

We've exchanged emails, you fitted the HKS sc to my car which failed after less than 10k miles. If the design has changed, which is the first I've ever heard about such a thing, why are you reluctant to explain how?

Because he didn't reply to you straightaway, you defamed him and his business by stating matter of factly that he knowingly sells products that are faulty.

There's a reason why social media and trolling is in the news at the moment, because "people" will do this stuff with the cover of anonymity.

I'm afraid "not replying to me within 8 hours" is not an acceptable defense!

22 minutes ago, maurice said:

Because he didn't reply to you straightaway, you defamed him and his business by stating matter of factly that he knowingly sells products that are faulty.

It's not defamation if its true. The HKS SC has a well known design flaw.

Another thing common on social media is white knighting. Perhaps mind your own?

4 minutes ago, will300 said:

I've split the Harrop thread up to remove the HKS Supercharger chat as it holds no relevance to the Harrop discussion.

Please keep all HKS chat to this thread.

It's relevant if the guy who is considering buying one is not being told it has a design flaw, his comment which you've not put into this thread, but fair enough.

1 minute ago, ThatGuyThere said:

It's not defamation if its true. The HKS SC has a well known design flaw.

Another thing common on social media is white knighting. Perhaps mind your own?

Sorry, I think Mark is male. 🤣

39 minutes ago, Varelco said:

ThatGuyThere, not the most diplomatic approach but your question is simple, doesn't require a story or peoples names to answer. 

This. Mark has said there was an issue with the kits. I disagree with his "I sell it and am well known so it's good" stance because it means nothing at all and is a bit of an ego flex. Mark isn't responsible for the quality of the HKS SC kits, he is responsible if he kept selling/pushing them after knowing of any design flaw with them (which I don't think he did). 

If there was a design flaw, ThatGuyThere is fully correct in saying HKS should have done something for existing customers and not just left them with a crap product.

The busy excuse doesn't wash either, Mark can find a dyno image but not give a brief explanation why the newer HKS kit is all good?

2 hours ago, Varelco said:

ThatGuyThere, not the most diplomatic approach but your question is simple, doesn't require a story or peoples names to answer. 

Yeah I let my frustration seep through because he was ignoring my question while replying to others in the same thread!

1 hour ago, Mark@Abbey M/S said:

still waiting for a reply @ThatGuyThere

No I'm not Clive, nor do I know of anyone called Clive. I'm not trying to trick you, or do anything underhand.

I was just surprised initially that you still sell the HKS SC, and then even more surprised that you acknowledged a design flaw which had been resolved because that's the first I've ever heard of it.

This is so strange I have to say. Why can't you answer the question about what has been changed in the design of the supercharger?

I'll ask once more, then I'll just leave it to others to draw their own conclusions.

Mark, can you explain what has been changed in the design of the HKS supercharger since the initial batch which you acknowledged above were flawed?

Come forward with a full name please then, you say we have spoke before but I speak to numerous people about a lot of things

Did we supply a HKS kit to you or did you buy a car we had fitted a kit to?

The HKS kit was updated some time ago, the failed kits which broke within warranty period was updated with the new specification Super Charger unit. From what we worked out was a gear drive unit failed.

Edited by Mark@Abbey M/S

My name isn't relevant, not sure demanding people publish their full name before simple questions are answered is remotely normal.

Your answers are vague and your behaviour seems shady. "Well known tuner" perhaps but our exchange above speaks volumes. Up until 3 days ago I thought you were a good guy.

Not going to continue this, I've tried in good faith to get clarity.

14 hours ago, Mark@Abbey M/S said:

From what we worked out was a gear drive unit failed.

@ThatGuyThere you got your answer from the above.  What more do you expect?

Have you asked HKS directly?  Did you get more information from them?

6 minutes ago, MartinT said:

@ThatGuyThere you got your answer from the above.  What more do you expect?

Have you asked HKS directly?  Did you get more information from them?

There isn't any detail in Mark's reply tbh. It's nothing different to previously stated that it's been updated. It's not for Mark to say though really unless he's pushing the kits, it's on HKS to tell people why they should trust the updated one