Stoneman

Brake Upgrades

Hi All,

As you can see I'm new to the forums but finally decided to create an account to get involved instead of just lurking around :D

I'm planning on getting my Brakes upgraded in the next week as they have started to squeal at me, as far as I can tell I have 42k on the clock (bought it at 33k) and I don't think they have ever been replaced.

After looking around on here I have seen a few different recommendations and from OEM I'm planning to go with these..

https://www.torqen.uk/toyota/toyota-gt86/brakes/pack-deals/20229-toyota-gt86-stoptech-discs-sport-performance-pads-kit-drilled-slotted.html

I do plan to do more to the vehicle in future but for now everything is stock.

If anyone has any other recommendations or can point me in a better money saving/bang for buck that would be appreciated. but this seems like a great deal. 

In my book slotted & drilled rotors are downgrade (in reliability, as they are more susceptible to cracks, and also reduce thermal mass, not proportionally increasing cooling). Also squealing brakes as reason for upgrade? I'm guessing two possibilities. One, if pads still have enough material on them, is to rebed brakes, other, if squeal is simply for too worn pads that worn to level of embedded wear indicator to start touch rotors, that due wear from mileage/accumulated brake use just replace to new pads (rotors usually last longer, though when inspecting pad thickness worth also gauge rotor thickness left at same time). Remember, that many "upgrades" out there are also just more specialized for specific type of use but also compromise some other areas. For example, some aftermarket BBKs or track brake pads, while doing better job for track use, may actually be worse for normal/daily street driving use and eg. actually squeal more.

Thanks for the advice, I'm still learning as I go what else would you recommend? I'd rather be uniform and have piece of mind by replacing the rotors and pads all at once.

I do plan on doing more to the car in future and I would like to do some track days

Track day use taxate brakes much more, enough to warrant use of specialized pads .. which unfortunately suck in DD, as in they don't heat up during normal driving to their designed working temps range, resulting in rather bedded pad material layer from rotors being worn off in few days, and unbedded brakes are often one of reasons for brake squeal (and also more heavy wear of pads & rotors, for unbedded brakes). Thus best bet would be having two brake pads sets, each best for their specific use, and swap them prior/after track day, which is not that hard of a job. Then again for track i'd certainly would think also of high boiling temps brake fluid flush (mostly has no drawbacks for daily use except cost, as they usually cost more and are often more hygroscopic, and by accumulating moisture from air they see their better boiling temps drop sooner, warranting more often (of more expensive) brake fluid changes), and of more track fit suspension alignment for more grip and more even tire wear. Better fit for alignment may need more parts though, to enable dialing extra needed negative camber. At very minimum camberbolts for front. Well, suspension mods aside, more fit for track brakepads & brake fluid should be minimum, to not see brake fade too soon after very short session.

As for recommendations, stock brakes do fine job for stopping car as needed, including cold stops, some emergency braking and have working temp range closer to what you see during normal driving/braking amount, thus they are less likely to squeal then eg. some "track pads". Simplest to just replace to new whatever gets worn and not bother about something else, think of worn wearable replacement as that of like refueling fuel, just longer and more expensive but then again also way less frequent. I don't see much difference between rotors for OE brakes, so would get whichever cheapest blank (NOT slotted/drilled) rotor (people imho often live under myth that drilled/slotted are "sportier", "cooler", "better". That might be the case in past, with past brake pad compounds that dissipated lot of gases when heat up, but now imho cons for such overweight pros. And if some mclaren supercar can have blank rotors, why we need to compromise ours :)). It may differ depending on where one lives as to which are cheaper. (eg. US crowd often goes by "Centric" rotors, i found brembo rotors cheaper here. There are many other brands that can be used for stock cast iron rotor replacement just fine). Then again, one rotor for me usually "lasts" ~4 pad sets (and rear pads usually last for me twice longer then front pads), so maybe your rotors are not due to replacement yet. As for pads .. for street use imho OE pads are fine, except due dealership markup they are relatively on expensive side. For street use i usually use cheaper Ferodo DS2500, which are kind of hybrid pads, standing somewhere inbetween street and track. Did the job fine for me on street, just maybe dusted a bit more. Others may have own preferences for their street pad choice.

But, at beginning, just check brake pad thickness. If there is enough "meat" left on them, maybe it's just thing of rebedding them to have squeal gone, without buying anything.

On 5/26/2021 at 6:19 PM, Stoneman said:

Hi All,

As you can see I'm new to the forums but finally decided to create an account to get involved instead of just lurking around :D

I'm planning on getting my Brakes upgraded in the next week as they have started to squeal at me, as far as I can tell I have 42k on the clock (bought it at 33k) and I don't think they have ever been replaced.

After looking around on here I have seen a few different recommendations and from OEM I'm planning to go with these..

https://www.torqen.uk/toyota/toyota-gt86/brakes/pack-deals/20229-toyota-gt86-stoptech-discs-sport-performance-pads-kit-drilled-slotted.html

I do plan to do more to the vehicle in future but for now everything is stock.

If anyone has any other recommendations or can point me in a better money saving/bang for buck that would be appreciated. but this seems like a great deal. 

Hi,

These will be absolutely fine as a replacement for your standard discs and pads, you'll notice a lot more bite on them too. Like mentioned above, drilled discs CAN be prone to cracking if used on track, however by the sounds of it this is more of a daily driver/fast road so I highly doubt you'd run into any issues with them. If you're super worried about that, we also do a slotted version: 

https://www.torqen.uk/toyota/toyota-gt86/brakes/pack-deals/20228-toyota-gt86-stoptech-discs-sport-performance-pads-kit-slotted.html

If you have anymore questions feel free to drop me a pm.