Sam

New wheels questions

Hey guys,

I am looking at getting some new wheels, and as I am new to modifying thought I would come to you to hopefully point me in the right direction!  (This would be the first mod I'm doing to change the characteristics of the drive - so want to be sure I'm not ruining it!)

After much consideration I've settled on JR3 17x8 ET35.

I just want to make sure I am making the right choice before going for it.

1) I hear you need to take the TPMS sensors from the old wheels (or get new ones - but I hear that is an extra hassle, so would prefer moving the old ones) and put them into the new wheels - I assume whoever would fit the tyres would be able to do this?

2) With going to 8 width I am thinking of going to 225 tyres, what would be a good recommendation considering I'm absolutely not interested in grippier tyres, I like the way the primacy tyres handle in the wet, and obviously I would like cheap ones. Can anyone recommend where would be a good place to get them from?

3) Does anyone know the weight of these wheels or JR wheels in general? I have seen that they're supposed to be a bit lighter than stock but that was some random forum post, so would like confirmation on this random post as well 😛

Thanks in advance for helping this scrub find his way! If you have any info on things I might not have considered this would also be appreciated.

Pride and joy attached since I haven't actually posted a pic yet

86.jpg

The garage I bought my wheels from were going to swap the sensors over without asking, so I stopped them and they fitted OEM and matched the RF frequency.

Now I can pop the old set back on (haven't had a need to yet) all by myself. Had no issues with the OEM RF sensors, had the wheels for almost two years.

...except when I park too close to the old wheels and the car picks up both sets and gets confused, as soon as I drive away, all OK.

I shuddered when you sad "cheap ones" for tyres - it's the only part that keeps you on the ground and where you want to head!

I chose Michelin Pilot Sport 4 which are superb in the dry and wet, I can still "slide", but I have control and feeling over the car.

1 hour ago, Winterhalder said:

The garage I bought my wheels from were going to swap the sensors over without asking, so I stopped them and they fitted OEM and matched the RF frequency.

Now I can pop the old set back on (haven't had a need to yet) all by myself. Had no issues with the OEM RF sensors, had the wheels for almost two years.

...except when I park too close to the old wheels and the car picks up both sets and gets confused, as soon as I drive away, all OK.

I shuddered when you sad "cheap ones" for tyres - it's the only part that keeps you on the ground and where you want to head!

I chose Michelin Pilot Sport 4 which are superb in the dry and wet, I can still "slide", but I have control and feeling over the car.

Ah thats good to know. I had read somewhere that you need to calibrate new sensors, and when you do that, the old ones would need 'recalibrating' if you wanted them to register again. Nice to have some options!

Haha, I didn't mean I wanted to buy 2nd hand or something, just that for the characteristics I'm after, I don't need a premium tyre. (I think? Feel free to correct me)

I see PS4's recommended all the time, but I don't think I would be a fan of the superior grip in the wet. Low speed fun keeps my licence in one piece!

14 hours ago, Sam said:

Ah thats good to know. I had read somewhere that you need to calibrate new sensors, and when you do that, the old ones would need 'recalibrating' if you wanted them to register again. Nice to have some options!

Haha, I didn't mean I wanted to buy 2nd hand or something, just that for the characteristics I'm after, I don't need a premium tyre. (I think? Feel free to correct me)

I see PS4's recommended all the time, but I don't think I would be a fan of the superior grip in the wet. Low speed fun keeps my licence in one piece!

To answer your questions:

1. Going 17 * 8 is a good choice to not compromise driveability and get a bit more width.

2. Japan Racing are not top quality wheels but are OK. I would doubt if the wheels are lighter than stock ( which are made by Enkei and Flow Formed). Ask the retailer for the weight of the wheels. 

3. Its ok to buy any brand of tyres and having a preference for less sticky rubber is personal choice. I think what winterhalder meant was dont for cheap brands. Use one of the premium tyre manufacturers and you will have good safe tyres. Michelin, Goodyear, Dunlop, Bridgestone, Continental are all quality brands. 225/45 is a very common size and the tyres are actually cheaper than 215/45 ones.

4. You will need the TPMS swapped over from old to new wheels or buy a new set of TPMS and get them cloned. Each TPMS sensor has a code. If you want to not invest much money, you can download Carista App on your phone and any bluetooth OBD 2 dongle. If you buy the carista dongle , you get carista premium free for 1 mth. If you buy pre configured TPMS sensors, you need to change them on your car, so that the ECU module reads it right.

The sensor values look something like this on Carista. Either the sensors you buy need to be configured from this or in reverse, you can configure your ecu through carista to pick the values from new tpms sensors ( provided you know them)
Screenshot_20201028-132056_Carista.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, BRZ-123 said:

To answer your questions:

1. Going 17 * 8 is a good choice to not compromise driveability and get a bit more width.

2. Japan Racing are not top quality wheels but are OK. I would doubt if the wheels are lighter than stock ( which are made by Enkei and Flow Formed). Ask the retailer for the weight of the wheels. 

3. Its ok to buy any brand of tyres and having a preference for less sticky rubber is personal choice. I think what winterhalder meant was dont for cheap brands. Use one of the premium tyre manufacturers and you will have good safe tyres. Michelin, Goodyear, Dunlop, Bridgestone, Continental are all quality brands. 225/45 is a very common size and the tyres are actually cheaper than 215/45 ones.

4. You will need the TPMS swapped over from old to new wheels or buy a new set of TPMS and get them cloned. Each TPMS sensor has a code. If you want to not invest much money, you can download Carista App on your phone and any bluetooth OBD 2 dongle. If you buy the carista dongle , you get carista premium free for 1 mth. If you buy pre configured TPMS sensors, you need to change them on your car, so that the ECU module reads it right.

1. Good to know!

2. Thats a good point, I will reach out to the retailer to double check that.

3. Ok yeah I understand, are there any comparison websites you can recommend? part of the pain of picking tyres is there is just too much choice, I have no clue what kind I should get to achieve the drive feel I want.

Ah ok I do have an OBD2 dongle, so all I need to calibrate the new TPMS sensors is that sensor ID from your screenshot? That would be preferable to avoid having to change what sensors the car reads every time I wanted to swap.

Thanks for your help so far guys

On 5/25/2021 at 8:51 PM, will300 said:

Here's some JR wheel weights for reference: 

JRweights.pdf

Thanks Will, they got back to me as well with 8.5kg. So either way they look a bit lighter than stock (9.2kg from what I've read)

7 hours ago, Winterhalder said:

...I'm off to check out Carista! Always nice to tinker with new tech!

Yeah its pretty cool, with the subscription (you should get a free trial if you havent used it before) you can change some settings. The one I can remember is switching the fob to one click opens all doors (not worth paying for imo - just get the trial, set the settings you want then just use the free features - you miss out on resetting fault codes but I'm sure there is a cheaper way of doing that)