Mani

GT86 Exhaust Systems

Hi all ... I am planning my first performance mods and have been researching cat back exhausts ... I have shortlisted Cobra Sport and Invidia N1. 

While I prefer the sound of the resonated exhausts (louder than stock but not too loud), but wanted to check with this group as to whether there is any other benefits going for a non resonated. Also between Cobra and Invidia, is one better than the other?

I did think about TD resonated but it is a 6 hour round trip so having to settle for Cobra or Invidia.

Should I be considering any other performance exhausts out there?

Thanks

Invidia N1 is mega loud , too anti neighbour. Invidia Q300 is the quietest , Gemini R400( IIRC) is middle of line and N1 ASBO. All three are top quality exhausts and I will highly recommend the brand.

You don't need to go to TD ,get them to ship it and get it installed locally. Super res is quiet, res a bit loud. If you keep both cats on then it's fine but if you plan on changing the manifold at a later date , go super res. Quality not as good as Invidia but decent stuff.

Then there is Remus and Hayward and Scott who make top exhausts as well. The list goes on so listen to a few and make up your mind.

Resonated removes drone at certain frequencies, mostly when you are cruising at a certain fixed speed/ rpm like on the motorway.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Thanks @BRZ-123 this is really useful ... I wasn’t aware of the others you mentioned so will check out how they sound

there are quite a few out there hence the confusion but I guess it will come down to personal preferences 

I run a Invidia Gemini (but with a sports cat and unequal length manifold also with sports cat) and it's quite an interesting thing, if you keep the revs down it's relatively quiet but put your foot down or on a cold start and it makes a lot of noise. I also find it tends to drone a bit at ~70 in 6th when you have a slight incline so not great for long motorway trips. The problem is you don't know what you are getting until you run it for a little while. I never used to do many motorway miles so the setup was great for the 30 mile each way B road commute I was doing at the time. 

I would cross the N1 off your list if you only want it slightly louder than stock. I'm running one and its plenty loud even with the rest of the system stock.

Also if you have the space have a go at fitting it yourself. It only took me just over 1 hr to fit and that was on a driveway.

Thanks @JohnM and @TimS ... I guess Invidia N1 is definitely off the list given the feedback as I live in a quiet neighbourhood and don’t really want to add to the pain I already have with a ‘neighbour’. I am leaning toward the Cobra Resonated but will compare the other suggestions by @BRZ-123

I am always nervous about have a go at fitting it myself but have been quoted around £70 for installation plus the cost of the exhausts so tempted to get it done professionally 

On 5/19/2021 at 5:02 PM, Mani said:

Hi all ... I am planning my first performance mods and have been researching cat back exhausts ... I have shortlisted Cobra Sport and Invidia N1. 

While I prefer the sound of the resonated exhausts (louder than stock but not too loud), but wanted to check with this group as to whether there is any other benefits going for a non resonated. Also between Cobra and Invidia, is one better than the other?

I did think about TD resonated but it is a 6 hour round trip so having to settle for Cobra or Invidia.

Should I be considering any other performance exhausts out there?

Thanks

If you want an exhaust, consider in the future if you want to do a NA tune package which many 86owners do for the torque dip. By doing that many people go for a catless header which will effect your exhaust systems loudness.

if you don’t want it to be super loud then a good idea could be the TD super resonated cat back exhaust, super res is quieter than resonated. In the future you then have the flexibility to get the NA tune package if you want + without being super loud after removing the manifold CAT. Would also give you a discount on a turbo kit if that interests you but.

TD can ship it to you also to be fitted by a local dealership since they’re 6 hours away.

I can vouch their quality of service and have in person heard a resonated cat back exhaust on a stock gt86. Not a resonated cat back + NA tune though.

It was definitely louder, too loud for me after the NA tune I imagined. Hence I recommend the super res.

video below shows it :)

I personally just have the NA tune FYI. I wanted the performance mainly and budget stopped me getting both 

TD super-res is a good middle loudness exhaust system. I run it and it's not quiet!

You can have it installed at Abbey Motorsport. They can obtain TD parts.

18 hours ago, Jay Bamrah said:

If you want an exhaust, consider in the future if you want to do a NA tune package which many 86owners do for the torque dip. By doing that many people go for a catless header which will effect your exhaust systems loudness.

This is probably the single biggest thing to decide before buying anything. If you decide to remove the precat (I.e. fit an aftermarket manifold) then the resonated Cobra will still be ludicrously loud. I had a hell of a saga with exhaust systems going from;

stock > cobra non-res > cobra non-res+TD manifold  > cobra res+TD manifold > TD super res+TD manifold

The Cobra resonated cat back is probably ok as long as you keep the stock manifold. If you don’t then then TD super res keeps exhaust noise just the happy side of loud.