Jay Bamrah

Best brake pads?

Hey, I looked for some fancy brakes like blitz or Brembo because they look nice but didn’t realise the extend of their cost.

what are performance aftermarket pads like on stock callipers? 

(I don’t track my car, I’m just looking to spray my callipers black and while at it may as well get new pads as mine have 30k miles on them.)

what pads would you guys recommend for stock callipers for the nicest street driving. 

any advice on the matter is appreciated

There are no best pads in general. There might be many good pads for specific use. Track pads suck for daily driving, street pads soon run into limits on track.

Hence won't advise to get any "real" track pads, unless squealing sound at every stoplight & enhanced rotor/pad wear (due almost never getting them upto optimal working temps they are intended to, thus wearing down bedded layer from rotors) & dusting is your thing. Initially i suggest to keep using stock pads you got "for free" till they wear down. I usually for DD use Ferrodo DS2500.

1 hour ago, Leeky said:

I’ve always used the Cosworth Streetmaster pads. They have plenty of bite from cold and are hard to overheat on track.

Ahh, you mean yellowstuff. Yea, they're fine and track.

On 5/17/2021 at 10:35 AM, Kaltorak said:

Ahh, you mean yellowstuff. Yea, they're fine and track.

No I mean Cosworth. I bought a set of Yellowstuff and compared them to whats in the Cosworth box. Didnt look or feel like the same pads to me at all.

No idea where that rumour started. But from what I’ve seen on the net the Cosworth pads for the R35 GTR may have been rebadged YellowStuff. Never seen any evidence to suggest the GT86 Cosworth pads have ever been Yellowstuff.

9 minutes ago, Leeky said:

No I mean Cosworth. I bought a set of Yellowstuff and compared them to whats in the Cosworth box. Didnt look or feel like the same pads to me at all.

No idea where that rumour started. But from what I’ve seen on the net the Cosworth pads for the R35 GTR may have been rebadged YellowStuff. Never seen any evidence to suggest the GT86 Cosworth pads have ever been Yellowstuff.

pretty sure @Mike@TD.co.uk told me in the past he'd seen some cossie pads with yellow stuff branding underneath, like they'd just stuck stickers on top...

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

pretty sure @Mike@TD.co.uk told me in the past he'd seen some cossie pads with yellow stuff branding underneath, like they'd just stuck stickers on top...

I guess it’s possible there was a time/batch when they were just rebranded. But both sets of Cosworth pads i’ve gone through were visually a different shape to the set of Yellowstuff I had. Not only this but the Yellowstuff took noticeably longer to warm up when on public roads suggesting to be a different compound. On track there wasn’t much difference but off track from cold I could tell which were which.