Sign in to follow this  
SammyXNA

Engine knocking around 1.8 revs

Don't know how to start this thread because the story of my car is absolutely horrible. It's better to know the original story before getting into the current issue.

Around October my engine seized due to oil starvation like an idiot, it's got a UEL catless manifold with the oft stage 2+ tune. The car was sitting in the driveway for months as I knew I had to look for a replacement engine. A few days later, I received a letter from Toyota about the famous recall on the valve springs. Here's me thinking that my engine blew because of the broken valve springs so obviously I towed it to them as they were going to take the engine out anyway.

They confirmed that it had nothing to do with the valve springs, dealer said that a new short block was required for £3500ish. Calls back saying a whole new engine is required, quoted me £15k. Told him I might aswell buy the car again and that was not going to happen. Dealer said I could source a second hand engine and they'll fit it for me and also do the recall on it.

Found a bare refurbished engine on gumtree for about 3.2k in exchange for my old engine. Toyota fit the engine and it was misfiring on Cylinder 4. Told me to give it back to the supplier, so I towed it to the supplier. (ended up paying them £1.4k just for doing all of that)

Supplier asked if Toyota checked all the possible causes for a misfire, so, injectors, spark plugs, coils etc. Toyota claimed that everything was fine.

Supplier said misfire was due to bad timing, so timing was re-done. It was still misfiring and the cylinder head kept getting damaged. Apparently he had to replace it twice until he figured out that problem was that the engine provided was slightly a newer version that didn't fully match my old engine???

Then that was all fitted and sorted, somehow 2 of the injectors became bad. Supplier told me that Toyota lied to me about checking the injectors and is now wasting his time because of something they were supposed to check.

Replaced the injectors and was told that the car turns and idles fine with no cel or anything. He took it for a test drive at 30-40mph claims no issue. This guy was really taking a long time, the car went to Toyota in mid November, engine was swapped on New Years and the engine was given to the supplier around mid-jan. I only just got it back this Monday as I caught him by surprise, he wanted £250 for the labour work apparently due to the injectors Toyota should have inspected in the first place.

In addition, somehow the battery was completely dead too, the moment the engine goes off, it would not start unless jumped.

I didn't pay him, I just took my car and left lol. On the drive home, smoke was coming out the UEL, smelt like burnt oil, this has stopped now. Parked up and tried to start the car, battery is dead. Got the battery replaced next day and took it out for another drive and for my local mechanic to inspect it.

Apparently it is knocking, I've attached 2 videos of my current issue and don't know whether to take it back to the supplier because he is going to take another 4 months just for a warranty job, which he hates himself as he did not want my car there anymore. He did say that the other 2 injectors may also be faulty. The car is still mapped by the looks of it because in neutral car won't go over 5.5rpm due to "launch control" - I only did this once to check.