castroneves

Notchy/Slightly rough 2nd -> 3rd shift when warm

I bought a 2018 GT86 ~ 6 weeks ago, currently has just over 17k miles on the clock. Overall absolutely loving it, the only thing slightly taking the edge off is the gearbox, specifically 2nd to 3rd. I'm aware gears 1,2,3 have triple cone synchros, so its reasonable to expect these to feel a bit different, but 2>3 feels just a bit on the wrong side of notchy.

It's notchy even when properly warmed up, not every time but most notable at moderate speed with moderate revs. Fast shift seems ok(particularly at 5k+), as does SUPER slow, but not a more natural speed. No grinding, but you can feel a nick/catching slightly through the stick. Only on the upshift, down is like butter every time.
It also does the 'hard to get into 2nd when cold'...but I don't really mind this as idling for a couple of mins seems to deal with the worst of this.

I mentioned it to Motorline Gatwick who changed the gear oil free of charge, this didn't make any difference, but that's not a huge surprise as its more OEM.

Reading around other posts on other gearbox niggles, I notice some others have got on well with swapping out the oil for Miller's/Motul/Redline MT90, do you think this could help in my case?
I notice the gearbox part number on the 2017+ model is different, does anyone with a facelift have any experience with these?

I don't have the newer model, but being an owner for a while can tell you that the gearbox is generally bullet proof with no reliability issues. It can how ever be a bit temperamental with the notchiness in those places you mention, two to three or three to two... I have tried everything and got no result except placebo. So my honest advise will be to get used to it and see that as a characteristic feature not as a limitation that needs to be addressed.

Most common notchiness twins owners with MT gearbox observe - is harder to get into 2nd when cold. Most ignore, as it goes away after 5min of driving.
Now if it's hard to get 2>3 .. imho it's something else. Unfortunately i don't know well, what it might be and how to fix. One thing i'd try, is to adjust plate that positions lever at right places .. was it reverse lockout plate? If that doesn't help .. while oil change is relatively simplest/cheapest thing to do, so worth trying for that reason, but i somewhat doubt if it will fix (after all, other gear engagement is fine?), i suspect something wrong with gearbox of this specific car. But as it's 2018 .. there should be warranty, no? Make dealership fix/replace it. Disassembly of gearbox to inspect synchros/gears and-or replace will take long time and will cost a lot. New gearbox costs extraorbitant sums (IIRC ~4K?). If warranty is not an option, i'd also explore to get used gearbox (600-1K), as imho it would be cheaper and quicker then disassembly/overhaul/cost of parts/time to receive them

Thanks for the replies folks!

Yeah all other shifts feel completely fine,  4>5 a little bumpy sometimes and 5>6 a tad stiff...but nothing overly remarkable. 3>2 is spot on every time. 2>3 isn't hard to get per se, it just feels a bit rough going in.

I'm taking it to Gatwick tomorrow to see what can be done warranty wise. Going to try and drive another they have for sale to see if it feels any different.

@BRZ-123 Are you running OEM oil in your box?

Thanks for the replies folks!
Yeah all other shifts feel completely fine,  4>5 a little bumpy sometimes and 5>6 a tad stiff...but nothing overly remarkable. 3>2 is spot on every time. 2>3 isn't hard to get per se, it just feels a bit rough going in.
I'm taking it to Gatwick tomorrow to see what can be done warranty wise. Going to try and drive another they have for sale to see if it feels any different.

[mention=3272]BRZ-123[/mention] Are you running OEM oil in your box?

Not OEM currently. Motul now. I also went down the oil change route , when that did not work , I changed the clutch line with a goodridge Braided line reading a forum post and hoping that would help. All placebo effect waned off after a few days and nothing changed. This was 4 years ago and my gearbox is still fine So I've given up and see it is as a characteristic.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, castroneves said:

3>2 is spot on every time. 2>3 isn't hard to get per se, it just feels a bit rough going in.

Strange, it's the other way round for me.  3>2 is the worst change and baulks sometimes, all others are fine.

Mine is scrunchy 1 > 2 when cold, and also first time 6 > 5 can crunch a little. Just the once, then it's fine.

1 > 2 though, either I crunch it and ignore it, or I do my best not to. Depends what mood I'm in 😄

An aftermarket shift spring and gearbox bushing might help.  They noticeably improve the shift quality - more than you would think is possible - and don't cost a fortune.  Your profile says you're in Croydon, so maybe have a word with @Mark@Abbey M/S, they're right on your doorstep and know the GT86 very well.  The bushing apparently increases noise, but I had other stuff fitted at the same time so couldn't tell you how bad it is.

(ETA - they don't particularly change the slight obstructiveness when cold though)

Motorline took it for a drive around and reckon it's normal. They did let me drive a 19 plate they had on the forecourt with 2k miles, which did feel largely similar, perhaps a little bit better.

As @BRZ-123 said I'll have to learn to accept it as a feature :D. Will hit up Abbey Motorsport anyhow to see if any of your suggestions @spikyone take the edge off.

I'd get the gearbox oil changed to something decent. Abbey put Millers gear oil in mine and that really improved the shifting feel. Shouldn't be too expensive, and can only help. 

Ask them to install MTEC shift springs too. They really make a difference to shift quality, they center the gearstick with more force which makes shifts across the centre of the gate easier and more precise. Perhaps what you're feeling is the stick catching on the gate slightly as you shift into third...before the shift springs if I shifted too quickly from 2nd to 3rd it was sometimes possible to stick on the gate between 1st and 3rd...the stronger MTEC springs help with that by applying a stronger centring force to the stick. 

I don't own a gt86 anymore, but I can confirm my 2017 aero did exactly what you are describing from 2nd to 3rd. As others have said, I think it's more of a characteristic, so I honestly wouldn't worry about it 😀