Sign in to follow this  
MR2

Toyota RWD fan

Hi, I'm Alan from North Yorks. I'm ridiculously grateful to be here, having finally managed to get a confirmation email during initial sign up 😍😍😍 . (Tried joining last year, but just wasn't happening with my virginmedia email  🙄 ).

Apologies in advance to anyone who may have read the following on "another internet forum" already...............

My first Toyota was a cheap knackered MR2 Mk1 - managed a whopping 100 miles in it. Cost £700 in 2002. Was still magical though compared to yer average FWD hatch.

A decade on (with my expensive motorcycle addiction largely cured) a trio of Mk3 MR2s followed. Last one was pretty sorted (tyres / suspension) and I'd probably still have it now if I hadn't crashed it. Will just say if you've never driven one and you get the opportunity - take it.

I sold it to a family member - only needed a bumper & paint, main damage was to my ego 😊 

With the MR2 gone, started to think more seriously about an 86/BRZ. They'd always been on my radar, I'd just been waiting for them to drop under £10k. Picked up a grey 62 plate Manual from a member on "the other forum" in November 2019. It's mildly modded with coilovers and rear subframe bush inserts, but I've never driven a stock one to compare anyway.

So 6000 miles on what do I think of it?

I love it of course. It drives pretty much like a bigger, torquier, plusher, faster, more civilised MR2. The fun factor is similar, but the 86 is definitely much easier to live with. Main downside on the 86 is the cost of spares which appear to be in a wholly different league to MR2 parts prices, though fortunately not really needed to buy anything yet apart from an oil filter.

EDIT - will probably post up a pic in due course. Give me another reason to wash it (long overdue, gets about three washes a year......)

image.gif

On 4/26/2021 at 1:38 PM, will300 said:

Welcome to the forum Alan. 

Thanks Will !

A pic. Its dropped about 25mm on KWV1s fitted by the last owner.

T0TAhV4.jpg?1

No real planned further mods currently, though could quite fancy swapping the wheels for some 17 inch Rota Grids / JRs / Bolas at some point.

Anyone with any thoughts on any of the those (e.g. weight / general quality ) would be good to hear.

Welcome aboard, Adrian. I had three MK1 MR2's going back a long time and raced them back in the early noughties. I liked the MK3 and remember having a ball in a turbo'd one round Dijon and Magny Cours. Blimey nigh on 20 years ago now! 

Glad you are enjoying the car. :)

43 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Welcome aboard, Adrian. I had three MK1 MR2's going back a long time and raced them back in the early noughties. I liked the MK3 and remember having a ball in a turbo'd one round Dijon and Magny Cours. Blimey nigh on 20 years ago now! 

Glad you are enjoying the car. :)

Thanks Laura 😃 (my name's Alan, but you can call me Ethel if you want, just nice to hear from a fellow MR2 fan). Have never tried a turbo MK3, but even in stock tune they can feel decently quick enough for a twisty B road IMO with sorted suspension and AD08Rs 🙂

Its still my ambition to have a nice MK1 someday, will just need to empty my garage first / build a bigger one.

Hi Alan,

Welcome from another MR2 fan/owner. I normally see you on another forum!

Just painting the standard wheels with one colour transforms the look of the car to my eyes, I did all 4 with one large rattlecan.

Cheers

Simon.

On 5/2/2021 at 7:10 AM, Ignited said:

Hi Alan,

Welcome from another MR2 fan/owner. I normally see you on another forum!

Just painting the standard wheels with one colour transforms the look of the car to my eyes, I did all 4 with one large rattlecan.

Cheers

Simon.

Hi Simon !

Did wonder if our paths would cross on the 86 forums. Just looked back at the pic you posted in the 86 thread on ROC.  On your red car that wheel refurb looks like £6 well spent for sure 😀

Should be getting a cheap set of O.E. 2018 wheels soon to run different tyres. Might try some plastidip on the current set.

I did the wheels over a year ago and they are still OK, its not a perfect job and I could improve it with a bit more work (and a second can!) but they look fine when I am moving.

17 hours ago, Ignited said:

they look fine when I am moving.

Isn't that quite hard to see from the driver's seat? 🤔