Cfb86

Exhausts with little to no drone!!

Hi guys I purchased and installed a Malian cat back about a month or 2 ago and I’m sick of the drone from it inside the cabin 

I’m wondering if anyone knows of any cheap-ish exhausts with no drone I have been looking at tuning developments options so if anyone has any info for me about them that would be amazing 

TIA

1 hour ago, sam534 said:

No drone with my cobra resonated nice and throaty. Will be for sale soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much for pal? 

I have this and its very good. Pricey but even with decat manifold, and hfc front pipe it's still quite respectable volume-wise and no drone . If you are stock manifold and front pipe you might find it slightly too quiet though

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

On 4/27/2021 at 8:54 PM, willclarke said:

I have this and its very good. Pricey but even with decat manifold, and hfc front pipe it's still quite respectable volume-wise and no drone emoji106.png. If you are stock manifold and front pipe you might find it slightly too quiet though

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

What do you clock in at on trackdays?

On 4/26/2021 at 11:10 AM, Cfb86 said:

Hi guys I purchased and installed a Malian cat back about a month or 2 ago and I’m sick of the drone from it inside the cabin 

I’m wondering if anyone knows of any cheap-ish exhausts with no drone I have been looking at tuning developments options so if anyone has any info for me about them that would be amazing 

TIA

Like mentioned above, ARK has little to no drone, available here:

https://www.torqen.uk/toyota/toyota-gt86/exhausts/exhaust-systems/3851-toyota-gt86-ark-grip-exhaust-system-burnt-tip-sm1202-0213g.html

Most exhausts are heavily backlogged at the minute so feel free to drop me a pm and I can check ETA's for you. 

The TD with super-resonator has no drone. I daily commute 80 miles so trust me when I say I could not live with drone.

The standard resonator is too loud, though.

1 hour ago, MartinT said:

The TD with super-resonator has no drone. I daily commute 80 miles so trust me when I say I could not live with drone.

The standard resonator is too loud, though.

Did I end up buying your standard resonator? I can't remember now. 

I have a standard resonator TD set up, but with no other mods. I don't find it drones but sometimes these things can be quite personal perception. My only observation is it is very loud at cold start but soon settles down once past cat warm up.

I also have the same exhaust as @willclarke (the H&S with Helmholtz resonators), volume-wise I typically get low 80s on track days. Zero drone whatsoever and sounds very civilised when driven sensibly, but really sings when you give it the beans. 

Here is what it sounds like BTW: 

Just to clarify because people go on about drone a lot, does drone occur at all times? From my civic days the exhaust noise would just make a really deep sound at 3k which mean it was loud most of the time, that’s what I consider drone noise. Am I right? 

Drone happens at specific resonant frequencies of the exhaust system, so is tied to RPM. If that happens at, say, 70mph in 6th, it can be tiring and annoying for long journeys.

Drone is minimised by resonators that dampen those frequencies.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

Thanks Martin, I knew you’d have the answer. I need to hear your tuning developments exhaust system now that you’ve changed the manifold. Are you going to any meet ups?

No problem, Luke, I will be going to more meetings, just haven't got dates in my diary yet!

The exhaust is quieter with the Rogue EL compared with the TD UEL. Still has a good bark, though!

Sent from my Oppo X3 using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, MartinT said:

No problem, Luke, I will be going to more meetings, just haven't got dates in my diary yet!

The exhaust is quieter with the Rogue EL compared with the TD UEL. Still has a good bark, though!

I imagine it’s a smoother note and slightly less aggressive than before, however the cosworth probably makes it’s more aggressive again.

It is. Harrop, not Cosworth. Yes, it's a smoother more 'racecar' sound and is very nice at high revs when pressing on.

Of course it is a Harrop, sorry I forgot and have cosworth on the brain at the moment. That’s good to know about the exhaust I look forward to hearing it soon.