Tango

USB socket - 2017 Orange Edition GT86

Hi,

Can anyone help with this problem please?

I have read what advice i can find and still can't get the head unit to recognise the USB stick.

Before you insert a USB stick in to the socket on the lower left hand side underneath the heater controls does the USB button on the display appear greyed out for you?

Does that button only spring to life once a usb stick is inserted in the socket?

I've taken the head unit out and checked all the wires going from usb to socket to the head unit and the white socket connected to the dash at the rear of the head unit and all seems fine.

There are two empty sockets on the rear of the head unit (circled - sorry about the glare).

Should there be something plugged into them?

I've tried every setting I can find on the head unit and there doesn't seem to be anything about enabling/disabling the USB option.

I've tried another USB stick that works fine in another car and still no joy.

I'm out of ideas 😕

Head unit.jpg

The 2 sockets are for the sat nav attachment. The usb connector is the grey one 3rd from the left.

The usb needs to be formatted to a specific file. Do you have the manual that is in the service book with the car. It tells you in there what the format needs to be.

Just checked and it needs to either be formatted to FAT16 or FAT32.

Also it cant be any bigger than a 16gb memory stick.

Edited by JohnM

Thanks for the replies JohnM

Can I ask is the USB option greyed out on your car before you add a usb stick?

I've left the usb stick in the car but pretty sure its 16GB and I used the standard Windows 10 formatting program. I think that was FAT32 but once again I'll check tomorrow.

14 hours ago, JohnM said:

Also it cant be any bigger than a 16gb memory stick.

Are you sure? Though not with 2017's T&G2, with older T&G1 i'm using 128G usb stick now.

On 4/24/2021 at 11:45 AM, Church said:

Are you sure? Though not with 2017's T&G2, with older T&G1 i'm using 128G usb stick now.

Yep. Tried a 32gb one and it didnt recognise the stick, dropped it down to 16gb and worked no issues. What make of usb are you using please as I would love to be able to use a 128gb one rather than using 2 separate sticks. The radio is a T&G1 in a 2014. Thanks.

On 4/23/2021 at 10:54 PM, Tango said:

Thanks for the replies JohnM

Can I ask is the USB option greyed out on your car before you add a usb stick?

I've left the usb stick in the car but pretty sure its 16GB and I used the standard Windows 10 formatting program. I think that was FAT32 but once again I'll check tomorrow.

Yes. The usb option only highlights when there is a usb in the slot. Might be worth checking to see if it has become unplugged behind the dash. 

31 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Yep. Tried a 32gb one and it didnt recognise the stick, dropped it down to 16gb and worked no issues. What make of usb are you using please as I would love to be able to use a 128gb one rather than using 2 separate sticks. The radio is a T&G1 in a 2014. Thanks.

128GB SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0, one that looks like very small plug like that of logitech mouse receiver. This looks like it.

Don't remember though how i formatted it, was some time ago, but very probably fat32 and from linux. Windows default formatter from gui might not offer format instead telling to use ntfs or exfat though for that size. Hmm, maybe this may help?

Also, if this doesn't work, maybe there might be differences in firmware of Touch with no Go(satnav module), and Touch & Go. At very least mp3 organizing differs (no more browse/play by folders, but only by mp3 tags in ipod like fashion, so extra lot of hassle to enter them for where they were missing), and IIRC during map update firmware also gets updated, not sure if for satnav module only or for main headunit too. Buying Go satnav though .. strongly advise against. Overpriced, clunky interface, laggy & expensive map updates, extra brick weight to carry along even if i don't use it (prefering by far navigating via Waze on smartphone).

Hi, Sorry I've been meaning to get back to this but I've been so busy.

I have removed the head unit and checked all the cables. Everything seems fine. Maybe if I check if my phone connects (android) to charge or use then I'll know the usb socket is working.

The USB stick I have is a sandisk 16GB bought very recently and formatted using Windows 10.

I'm thinking its probably the formatting that is the issue.

Hi,

I took the car to a Toyota dealer earlier for a quick check and the usb socket is not charging a phone so it seems like its dead.

I got the USB socket out of the dashboard and all the wires are correctly connected to it and to the back of the head unit and the other wire that branches off to the dashboard all connected properly.

So I guess either there's a setting I can't find switched off or the head unit or the USB socket are damaged.