BRZ-123

In comes the GR86

On 12/8/2021 at 2:12 PM, Varelco said:

That's only 2022s allocation, production will run into 2024 so it shouldn't be too limited. However if prospective UK buyers are armed with the information that its going to be a limited run, coupled with the production delays from COVID and the knowledge of the imminent demise of ICE in Europe, then its really a sellers market, lead times will go through the roof and price scalping will be rife in the second hand market. So with that in mind its now 399 left in next years allocation (if that is genuinely true), I placed my deposit, bit impulsive and its on a hunch but there is nothing else I want to spend my money on.

Congratulations in advance! Its great to see current owners moving to the new platform. I would love to eventually do that but this time around i have a set of requirements.

1. They need to offer the remote start and Air Conditioning that they offer in Canada/USA. So i can also get into a warm toasty car :) now or a cool car in the summer.

2. They need to offer the Subaru / Starlink safety suite with Automatic Cruise Control for the boring motorway drives and Auto Emergency Braking for saving a life or two. 

3. It should be Red and hopefully the Toyota Scarlet Flare Red. 

Which leads me to think, i need to wait for Toyota to release details before i sign the dotted line.

Did you get any more info on the UK specs?

Thanks, I was ready to try something very different for 2022 but the situation surrounding this car is Europe has twisted my arm enough to commit to it. I think my fiancé is more excited than me at the minute lol.  

I have no further official information on spec other than what Lauren has already put, my deposit is probably more of a gentleman's agreement at this stage as opposed to an official Toyota action. From what I've gathered from other European countries and what's being fed to the US, the colour palette you see is what will be offered to the UK, so unfortunately, as lovely as it is, there will be no Scarlet Flare, but the colour codes do appear different from the GT86. Don't expect much movement on order books until at least the end of Q1, deliveries being late Q2 or longer by the sounds of it.

In terms of spec differences I'm putting it out there and going with;

Base

17 inch 2 tone (black with machined face) alloy wheels on Primacys, cloth interior non heated seats, keyless entry, dual climate, headunit with AA and Car play, 6 speaker audio, no ducktail spoiler

Premium

18 inch (satin black) wheels on PS4s, 'ultra suede' half leather heated seats, keyless entry, dual climate, headunit with AA and Car play, 8 speaker audio with amplifier, ducktail spoiler (optional?).

Options?

Probably parking sensors, boot fitted subwoofer and perhaps the red carpet interior? but then again that might be a Japan only option, along with the larger 9" headunit.

Don't take this as gospel but I am 90% certain its going to be along those lines.

Thanks, I was ready to try something very different for 2022 but the situation surrounding this car is Europe has twisted my arm enough to commit to it. I think my fiancé is more excited than me at the minute lol.  
I have no further official information on spec other than what Lauren has already put, my deposit is probably more of a gentleman's agreement at this stage as opposed to an official Toyota action. From what I've gathered from other European countries and what's being fed to the US, the colour palette you see is what will be offered to the UK, so unfortunately, as lovely as it is, there will be no Scarlet Flare, but the colour codes do appear different from the GT86. Don't expect much movement on order books until at least the end of Q1, deliveries being late Q2 or longer by the sounds of it.
In terms of spec differences I'm putting it out there and going with;
Base
17 inch 2 tone (black with machined face) alloy wheels on Primacys, cloth interior non heated seats, keyless entry, dual climate, headunit with AA and Car play, 6 speaker audio, no ducktail spoiler
Premium
18 inch (satin black) wheels on PS4s, 'ultra suede' half leather heated seats, keyless entry, dual climate, headunit with AA and Car play, 8 speaker audio with amplifier, ducktail spoiler (optional?).
Options?
Probably parking sensors, boot fitted subwoofer and perhaps the red carpet interior? but then again that might be a Japan only option, along with the larger 9" headunit.
Don't take this as gospel but I am 90% certain its going to be along those lines.
I broadly agree. think the Premium will also have more safety aids , Blind Spot Monitoring, Automatic Cruise Control etc as well. Automatic more so than manual for safety features, I guess.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

On 12/22/2021 at 10:53 AM, BRZ-123 said:

Congratulations in advance! Its great to see current owners moving to the new platform. I would love to eventually do that but this time around i have a set of requirements.

1. They need to offer the remote start and Air Conditioning that they offer in Canada/USA. So i can also get into a warm toasty car :) now or a cool car in the summer.

But would you be willing to pay a monthly subscription for the privilege?

Apparently Toyota have retrospectively brought that business model in for post 2018 cars in the US. So imagine you've been enjoying your remote start for getting on 4 years and now they've taken it away and want you to pay for the privilege to use something that perhaps swayed your purchase of the car. Shady if you ask me! 

On 12/4/2021 at 4:10 PM, BRZ-123 said:

This is gold dust. So in summary:

1. 2.4L engine has same exhaust flanges and diameter of initial exit so an aftermarket manifold from 2.0 will easily and neatly bolt onto a 2.4

2. Even without a tune the torque dip is nearly eliminated, which means the 2.4 is a very similar engine to the 2.0, just a bit more displacement. That is probably expected but proven now.

3. The 2.4 factory manifold has wider exhaust runners to and from the cat end, so likely to make more power on a 2.0 car as well, if fitted. This will be covered in their next video, so lets see what happens.

This bodes well for GT86 owners hoping to retrofit GR86 parts. Assuming they'll be freely available to purchase. Specifically I'm interested in the transmission and drivetrain parts. Although, just thinking about it now, if the GR86 is priced at say 30k, rebuilding the trans, replacing the propshaft + buying the parts would easily bite away at a large chunk of the money saved in modding vs just buying the GR86. And surely it'll be more fraught adding those parts with a third party vs having them on the car to begin with.

But would you be willing to pay a monthly subscription for the privilege?
Apparently Toyota have retrospectively brought that business model in for post 2018 cars in the US. So imagine you've been enjoying your remote start for getting on 4 years and now they've taken it away and want you to pay for the privilege to use something that perhaps swayed your purchase of the car. Shady if you ask me! 
I need it personally as I ferry my little one to football matches and events all the time and am watching him on the ground working hard. Once we finish , I want the car to be pre heated. Electric seats to be on full blast. Same with an early morning departure to work..
BMW charge for the privilege and so do many others. Am happy to pay but want it factory set up and having a sim inside so it works everywhere , not just on my drive.

I was out for a walk with Richard yesterday. He said that the demo is expected in Spring, thinking March/April. He has some pre-orders in, but delivery is expected for June. Obviously we are awaiting full UK specifications. I would expect that to be released before the demo arrives, so anytime soon really. 

As soon as he gets the demo, I will be reviewing it. :)

I was out for a walk with Richard yesterday. He said that the demo is expected in Spring, thinking March/April. He has some pre-orders in, but delivery is expected for June. Obviously we are awaiting full UK specifications. I would expect that to be released before the demo arrives, so anytime soon really. 
As soon as he gets the demo, I will be reviewing it.
Thanks Lauren. I also asked Toyota UK via e mail and they replied with a cryptic ish answer saying it will be anytime soon. We don't have any info. Please subscribe to updates pn website to be informed first.
The magazines say May 2022 launch and someone said it was a Dec 02 reveal but clearly that date has passed so there are some delays.

On 12/17/2021 at 4:06 PM, Subota Boy said:

Got a red one of each, but can't decide which I like best.  

IMG_20211214_164504_1.jpg?width=960&heig

Very nice, my Son got the GR86 from the Parents in law I need to get one myself and the yellow/silver GR Supra when I remember.

And its now official..... a conical filter loses power...

To summarize, Subaru have done enough R&D to place the intake at the right location. If we do not use the OE location and just fit a conical filter, heat soak will take away any gains and you will lose power. My personal analysis has been that aftermarket Panel Filters though give a bit more power let in more sand / silica which has been proven time and again through my used oil analysis. So honest suggestion, dont play with the intake unless you are doing it for the induction sound and no power gains and potential impact to the engine long term..

Tbh we’ve all known for years that cone filters suck in hot engine bay air and that the stock air boxes are not the restriction that the aftermarket would make you believe. Thousands of people have done back to back dynos proving this.

Not so much the fact its conical, just that its not enclosed in a housing. Which is hardly surprising as its been known for literally decades that situating a air filter inside an engine gets heat soaked, it just the usual desperation to get YouTube video hits.