BRZ-123

In comes the GR86

Wonder if people are gonna start doing GR -> GT body swaps or, engine swapping the 2.0 for 2.4 instead (though at that point wouldn't you LS swap instead)...

I still can't get the Cayman S knockoff look out of my eyes with the GR - I have an unreasonable dislike for those Porsches for some reason I DON'T KNOW WHY. 

4 hours ago, ToothlessSimpleton said:

Wonder if people are gonna start doing GR -> GT body swaps or, engine swapping the 2.0 for 2.4 instead (though at that point wouldn't you LS swap instead)...

I still can't get the Cayman S knockoff look out of my eyes with the GR - I have an unreasonable dislike for those Porsches for some reason I DON'T KNOW WHY. 

Sure an LS swap will cost 3-5times what it does to forge an FA20 or swap to an FA24

This US Toyota press release is interesting - https://pressroom.toyota.com/all-new-2022-toyota-gr-86-thrills-around-every-corner/

The US GR86 (they will get it before we can) will come with a year's membership of NASA included, wonder of Toyota GB will be looking at a similar track day encouragement for new owners - plus it looks like there will be some useful initial Gazoo mods (inc a cat-back exhaust) to get at the time of purchase so under warranty from day 1, again this would be a welcome thing for TGB to also do (although I'm guessing that most GT86 existing mods will be suitable to use on the GR).

Not sure if people seen but apparently DK Tsuchiya (Prof drifter/driver) Initial D allegedly based off of him, was involved with GT86 since 2003 advising Tada-San. Lots of thoughts in here. Comparing to his slightly modeled GT86 and GR86.

On 9/29/2021 at 7:56 AM, ToothlessSimpleton said:

It will happen but it will be rare as FA24s won't be in abundance or cheap.

If this car is going to be priced around £30k then that is going to be serious value for money, I would have one for that price.

I wonder how much the new engine is being pushed, is it coincidental that the 250NM rated max torque also happens to be tge design limit of the Aisin gearbox.

On 10/28/2021 at 4:24 PM, Kodename47 said:

So it's going to be £30k then as I bet we'll only get the "Premium" version here. All in, I guess not bad and in line with expectations.

I don' think it's too bad. The base model of the GT86 was £25K when it came out in 2012. I just checked the BoE inflation calculator, and that's £30,190.06 in 2020.

So if we get the premium version of the GR86 for £30K, that's not really any more expensive than the GT86 was at launch (in fact, probably slightly better, because with options I think the GT86 was closer to £28K IIRC).

This is a roundabout way of me trying to justify buying one for myself 😛

I don' think it's too bad. The base model of the GT86 was £25K when it came out in 2012. I just checked the BoE inflation calculator, and that's £30,190.06 in 2020.
So if we get the premium version of the GR86 for £30K, that's not really any more expensive than the GT86 was at launch (in fact, probably slightly better, because with options I think the GT86 was closer to £28K IIRC).
This is a roundabout way of me trying to justify buying one for myself
Well put. And so glad to see someone being in the GT family and not moving out. Go for it!

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

It will happen but it will be rare as FA24s won't be in abundance or cheap.

If this car is going to be priced around £30k then that is going to be serious value for money, I would have one for that price.
I wonder how much the new engine is being pushed, is it coincidental that the 250NM rated max torque also happens to be tge design limit of the Aisin gearbox.
They have uprated both the manual and auto boxes. Not sure what the new levels are.
Also the con rods are straight not at an angle, so they might no longer be the weak point.

They have uprated both the manual and auto boxes. Not sure what the new levels are.
Also the con rods are straight not at an angle, so they might no longer be the weak point.

No numbers but somethings been done Screenshot_20211109-215500_YouTube.jpg

Nice, It looks like they've done their research. I hope they have sorted the issues with the gearstick rattles too as thats a major bugbear in my car.

A GR86 is almost certainly going to be my next car now, after being underwhelmed by its intended replacement (981 Cayman), the more I look at it the more I like it.

1 hour ago, Lauren said:

Decent review, but I see it only took a few posts before the usual  "it nEeDS a tURbO!!" morons turned up. Reminds me why I don't bother with the PH forums anymore.

Anyway...getting increasingly hyped about the GR86 :)

For the geeks out there, we've worked out on the GR Yaris forum that the wheels are a cheaper cast version with thicker spokes than the GRY circuit pack forged BBS wheels. PCD looks different which is is no surprise as fully expect GR86 to use 5x100PCD compared to the 5x114.3 PCD of the GRY.

For the geeks out there, we've worked out on the GR Yaris forum that the wheels are a cheaper cast version with thicker spokes than the GRY circuit pack forged BBS wheels. PCD looks different which is is no surprise as fully expect GR86 to use 5x100PCD compared to the 5x114.3 PCD of the GRY.
There is an element of consistency in design of GR products but also about cost saving. From the media reports, looks like the GR86 will be the entry car , the yaris the mid range and Supra their halo car, all from a pricing perspective Wheels are easily changeable so a good set of Rays will set them apart and take it back to JDM instead of German BBS ones

I also see a huge advancement in safety and driver aids in Automatics which are effectively Subaru Eye Sight safety tech which is class leading. That excites me more than the cosmetic stuff which can be changed / retrofitted.

10 hours ago, BRZ-123 said:

Wheels are easily changeable so a good set of Rays will set them apart and take it back to JDM instead of German BBS ones emoji3.pngemoji6.png

I also see a huge advancement in safety and driver aids in Automatics which are effectively Subaru Eye Sight safety tech which is class leading. That excites me more than the cosmetic stuff which can be changed / retrofitted.

Haha! The BBS ones are made in Japan. ;)

This is gold dust. So in summary:

1. 2.4L engine has same exhaust flanges and diameter of initial exit so an aftermarket manifold from 2.0 will easily and neatly bolt onto a 2.4

2. Even without a tune the torque dip is nearly eliminated, which means the 2.4 is a very similar engine to the 2.0, just a bit more displacement. That is probably expected but proven now.

3. The 2.4 factory manifold has wider exhaust runners to and from the cat end, so likely to make more power on a 2.0 car as well, if fitted. This will be covered in their next video, so lets see what happens.