BRZ-123

In comes the GR86

Sorry, don't like Sarah. Personal preference.

Better reviews here. Today was the day of media review release stateside for GR86

Check our cars results against Golf R

And this

Today was spent enjoying the future car.. I will purchase its Swansong edition.. for now will hold onto mine.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

TheTopher You Tube driving impressions.

TheTopher on You Tube impressions above. He owns a BRZ also so Interesting to hear. Driven lots of stuff too usually has balanced opinions.

I wouldn’t mind the engine, but I'm not fussed about the rest of the car.

I’d consider an FA24 swap if I ever needed a new engine one day :)

Interesting that the new BRZ and the GR86 are actually mechanically distinct with regard to suspension/chassis components.
Also, according to this page https://motor-fan.jp/mf/article/1462/ the GR86 has a 1.1kg lighter propshaft compared to the GT86.
I'd buy that for a dollar !  
Indeed. More steel in GR and more Aluminium in BRZ. It would be a matter of time before someone stateside does a BRZ vs GR86 comparison.. Its coming home.. ( I meant the new car GR)

Looks really good to be fair. Only had time to watch one vid, but will have a look at the others tonight. I think they have gone in the right direction with it. Bit more power, bit more grip, much the same balance, which lets face it was just great. Quite like the dash options too. 

On 8/15/2021 at 10:29 PM, Feemono said:

That's the same article as you posted before but I happened to see this https://motor-fan.jp/mf/article/6950/ one at the bottom which touches upon some of the changes as follows (auto-translated):

So there has been some modification of the synchomesh!

I read an article some time ago that went into the efforts of the engineers to target a 'sporty' feeling shift and how they were satisfied they did a good job which I found curious since so many of us were unpleased. Score +1 for upgrading to the GR86 🙂

Some further mention of the AT changes:

Thanks again for the links

Some specifics around gearbox from my link above , Source: Toyota US pressroom.

For Manual Transmission (MT), the shape of the shift lever is optimized for smooth, enjoyable shifting, whether you’re moving from 2nd to 3rd or downshifting from 5th to 4th. Additionally, a carbon synchronizer was added to improve shifting into 4th gear. The MT uses new low-viscosity oil and bearings for smooth shifting operability with the higher torque output of the 2.4L boxer engine.

For the Automatic Transmission (AT), when in Sport mode, the AT senses brake and accelerator operation and vehicle behavior to automatically shift into the optimal gear, bringing drivers the control they want. Additional clutch discs and a new high-capacity torque converter allow for smooth delivery of the engine’s added power.

As above JW191 posted. More in-depth impressions from Matt Farrah Smokin Tire Podcast stuff from 47mins. A lot of the Americans saying Evolution of our current cars. Lots of door card and screen stuff, interior wise from my 2017 model I see.

19 hours ago, BRZ-123 said:

Some text from Toyota which gives details of the changes made. So far the clearest..

https://pressroom.toyota.com/all-new-2022-toyota-gr-86-thrills-around-every-corner/

Cheers I loved reading about GT86 and GR Supra on these as had quotes from Tada and lots of info. Lookin fwd to reading.

From the SavageGeese review: they say the GT doesn't trailbrake , does not rotate under braking. It bothered me a bit but I thought 'it must be me'. It's not clear to me whether the GR does better on that.

(also I wonder how people fixed that on the GT)

On 9/5/2021 at 3:10 PM, MovesWithClouds said:

From the SavageGeese review: they say the GT doesn't trailbrake , does not rotate under braking. It bothered me a bit but I thought 'it must be me'. It's not clear to me whether the GR does better on that.

(also I wonder how people fixed that on the GT)

That doesn't make sense as the GT definitely will rotate under braking. I have always used this to good effect on the sprints. You need to do it with everything turned off though it will do it to a point in sport/track mode. 

I think the look of the GR is not good. It's definitely a turn for the worse, in my opinion. If that's what 86's looked like when I bought my car, I wouldn't have bought it. The shape/curve of the front end (in profile) is different and rather ordinary. The grill is boring. That 'duckbill' spoiler looks ridiculous. The seats are downright UGLY (the ones I saw in a review by Jason on Engineering Explained). It's been stripped of its Toyota identity and its little '86' touches (though that's been coming for a while). I could go on. I have a list of complaints, but I'll spare everyone the agony.

I know it has more horsepower and torque, but I would rather keep my beautiful 2013 and just do mods to get some increased hp. If at some point I decide to get something with more power (specifically to my taste, faster acceleration) it will NOT be a GR. I would never buy that car, even with cash in my hand. There are too many things I find aesthetically displeasing about it. 

So disappointing. What were they thinking? And yet, it makes my car feel all the more special now.

5 hours ago, Subota Boy said:

This is apparently the new SARD bodykit for the GR86.

I notice that, at the front, it seems to make the GR look more like the current GT86 front bumper, and very different from the standard GR86.

That grill is so much better.

That bumper looks a bit too aftermarket in my eyes, but it does fix the biggest issue with the front end styling, which is that the tall and narrow grille on the GR86 makes the whole car look too tall and narrow and makes the nose look a bit dumpy.