BRZ-123

In comes the GR86

I was quoting Car and Driver...

Instead, Subaru replaced the BRZ's current 2.0-liter flat-four with its 2.4-liter of the same configuration. It features Toyota's D-4S port and direct fuel-injection system, 13.5:1 compression ratio, and chain-driven double overhead cams with variable timing. "It's basically an Ascent engine without the turbo,"

Also, I didn't say FI was impossible, I said it was problematic.

6 hours ago, MartinT said:

The compression ratio is 13.5:1

As per, 13.5 and 12.5 have both been mentioned from "official" data. The fact that the stroke is the same so peak power is relatively in the same rev band would suggest that if they did do a 13.5:1 comp ratio they will have held back performance. It will also have an updated version of the D4S so that would help countenance any increase (if any) in CR. This is also not taking into account that static CR is not a great marker when you have AVCS that gives you a more dynamic CR.

Yes fingers crossed they make a new one for the UK. I think the facelift during mid cycle will look a lot better and add some nicer interior trims like before.

Also where is the performance pack with brakes and suspension changes? 

On 6/3/2021 at 6:50 AM, Luke said:

Yes fingers crossed they make a new one for the UK. I think the facelift during mid cycle will look a lot better and add some nicer interior trims like before.

Also where is the performance pack with brakes and suspension changes? 

It is coming to the UK. A bit early for any special editions as such, though there may be a launch edition, will have to wait and see. 

Not that difficult for them seeing Japan and Australia both have RHD ... those markets were the reason that Subaru said my BRZ would be an MY12 as they were prioritising shipping to the larger markets .. then my MY17 turned up!! (6 weeks early too!)

Going to be interesting to see how much it costs though .. 

This is so far the best video I have found of the GR86. Will re listen to it tonight but in summary:

1. More aluminium than before: Roof and Front Fenders
2. Better intake to reduce air vortex
3. Bigger injector and intake valves
4. Sensible active aero without over doing it
5. More precise gear shift feel

And much more.. So its not just a stick some cosmetic mods on and sell it as second gen.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

As a Subaru owner I don't mind saying that the Toyota is the better looking car this time round ;) 

I'm still not sold on the back end but the design is definitely growing on me on the whole. I'm going to Goodwood FOS so I'll hunt this one down.

As a Subaru owner I don't mind saying that the Toyota is the better looking car this time round  
I'm still not sold on the back end but the design is definitely growing on me on the whole. I'm going to Goodwood FOS so I'll hunt this one down.
Just please ask if you can , if the intake manifold dimensions are the same as our cars, if yes existing SC set ups can be bolted on straight, I would expect.

2 hours ago, BRZ-123 said:

Just please ask if you can , if the intake manifold dimensions are the same as our cars, if yes existing SC set ups can be bolted on straight, I would expect.

I wonder whether they've upgraded the rods compared to the FA20 though?  The rods in the FA20 would certainly be strong enough for the FA24's output, and the stroke is 86mm again.  That could limit the potential for FI on the new one to be a similar level to the first gen.  I'll be at FOS too and will definitely be paying Toyota a visit 😁

I wonder whether they've upgraded the rods compared to the FA20 though?  The rods in the FA20 would certainly be strong enough for the FA24's output, and the stroke is 86mm again.  That could limit the potential for FI on the new one to be a similar level to the first gen.  I'll be at FOS too and will definitely be paying Toyota a visit 
Please ask on that too.. hardware upgrades like engine internals , gearbox, clutch etc. I am unsure if they will have the answers but definitely worth trying.

I put modest to good odds that they would engineer some extra strength into the FA24 because the engine has more torque. You've got to have a margin or it's very expensive for the manufacturer when their engines break too quickly. Don't expect too much margin though! It's the same Subaru engineers optimising for cost and weight.

On 7/25/2021 at 1:57 PM, BRZ-123 said:

The FA24 engine overview for the geeks amongst us.

https://motor--fan-jp.translate.goog/mf/article/1636/?_x_tr_sl=ja&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-GB&_x_tr_pto=ajax,nv,elem

Brilliant. This is the post I was after, cheers.

In the Ken Gushi video he touches upon the shifter feel mentioning that the linkages have been changed but I'd love to get some more specific details on that. Especially the synchros as they're what I'm led to believe are giving some of us that unsatisfactory 3rd>2nd change. 1st to 2nd is a bit hit and miss for me as well though 2nd>3rd is v slick on mine. Improvements in shifting I think I'd care for even more than engine improvements.

Brilliant. This is the post I was after, cheers.
In the Ken Gushi video he touches upon the shifter feel mentioning that the linkages have been changed but I'd love to get some more specific details on that. Especially the synchros as they're what I'm led to believe are giving some of us that unsatisfactory 3rd>2nd change. 1st to 2nd is a bit hit and miss for me as well though 2nd>3rd is v slick on mine. Improvements in shifting I think I'd care for even more than engine improvements.
I'd read somewhere they have changed the synchros and fourth gear as carbon one as that failed on some cars.

Use the translate capability and try this link. I've now read 100s of articles so don't remember which one had it

https://motor-fan.jp/mf/article/1636/

7 minutes ago, BRZ-123 said:

I'd read somewhere they have changed the synchros and fourth gear as carbon one as that failed on some cars.

Use the translate capability and try this link. I've now read 100s of articles so don't remember which one had it

https://motor-fan.jp/mf/article/1636/

That's the same article as you posted before but I happened to see this https://motor-fan.jp/mf/article/6950/ one at the bottom which touches upon some of the changes as follows (auto-translated):

The basic components of the transmission have been followed from the previous model, but the torque converter and clutch that receive the torque as the engine torque increases have been strengthened. The case is said to have been partially reinforced. The 6-speed MT has been modified to the shape of the chamfer (the claws on the parts that make up the synchro mechanism), aiming for a pleasant shift feeling.

So there has been some modification of the synchomesh!

I read an article some time ago that went into the efforts of the engineers to target a 'sporty' feeling shift and how they were satisfied they did a good job which I found curious since so many of us were unpleased. Score +1 for upgrading to the GR86 🙂

Some further mention of the AT changes:

The 6-speed AT changes the control of the sports mode. Judging from the deceleration and acceleration that the car is running in sports, it shifts down while blipping during deceleration and enters the corner while maintaining a high engine speed. The rise shifts up without pulling too much. The previous model used similar control, but the new model has been redesigned so that it can be enjoyed not only on the circuit but also on general roads.

The difference between the old and new sports modes is clear. The control of the previous model was quiet, and I had the impression that "If this is the case, I would choose an MT", but the new model is an exciting control, saying "This is fun". There is no exaggeration in the words of engineers who say, "You can enjoy sports even with AT."

Thanks again for the links

Actually...

If the manual transmission is basically the same as the GT86 but with upgraded/modified parts I wonder if there'd be anything to stop us from getting hold of the relevant parts and rebuilding the gearbox with said parts?

I suppose Toyota/Subaru/Aisin might be awkward or straight uncooperative with ordering the upgraded bits. And then there's the cost of a transmission rebuild which I believe is very expensive. Any idea approximately how much that might cost from a reputable place?

I was close to getting rid of my 2017 GT86 due to being unhappy with the power delivery until Fensport tuned but still the gearbox disappoints me after trying shifter springs and mount insert from another tuner and now the TRD mount plus aftermarket tranny fluid.