BRZ-123

In comes the GR86

Following on the heels of Subaru BRZ global launch a few months ago, in comes the GR86. From what I can see visually even more closer than the BRZ with Headlights and front bumpers the same. Anyone spot any differences?

More can be found in the link below.

https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/toyota/34997138.html

UK link is a placeholder really

https://www.toyota.co.uk/world-of-toyota/toyota-gazoo-racing/gr-86#

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, BRZ-123 said:

Together shot Screenshot_20210405-111737_DuckDuckGo.thumb.jpg.5477e93aba5193a1e475f77fa8de9661.jpg

GR takes more styling from a 911

BRZ takes more from an RX8

Think I prefer the BRZ this time around! Will be interesting to know if there's more changes to the suspension like last time. 

Have to admit that I'm not feeling the love for either model and will quite happily be sticking to my 2014 version. Whilst the 2.4 ltr engine is a nice subtle upgrade the rest of the car as far as looks, styling and interior just dont do it for me. 

Looks very similar to the outgoing model, with a reasonable little boost in performance.
I notice they appear to be now using the Forester oil cooler setup.
That's an interesting observation. You reckon that's to run longer track sessions

49 minutes ago, BRZ-123 said:

That's an interesting observation. You reckon that's to run longer track sessions emoji848.png

Not with those brakes. Look the same as the outgoing model. The extra weight and power will quickly show their weakness.

I am a excited they say handling is better, and stiffness but it is the same chassis remember so will not be night and day. Will be fun to hear how it drives. It is also like 1cm lower nit sure how many ch difference this will make, wonder how noticeable BHP and torque will be. When I change cars choices  will be hard  GR Supra, GR86, GR Yaris, 400Z (Hope comes to U.K like 2 litre GR Supra where Toyota changed their mind).

I can't get my head around the looks, to me the design looks older than the outgoing model and the proportions don't look right. The ride height with those 18s is awful, its jacked up, the bonnet line looks higher, the squarer headlights and frumpy boot pushes the whole car up, its gone from a sports car to a coupe (think 2 series, c class). That dashboard looks fit for a 4x4 or a pickup. I don't think there is any threat of me moving my GT86 along

All good points above. It will be interesting to see just how much of a progression the new model is. Will they get existing owners like us tempted to upgrade or, will it not be that different (to warrant us spending a chunk of money on it) and instead they focus more on new customers. 

8 minutes ago, Shippers said:

All good points above. It will be interesting to see just how much of a progression the new model is. Will they get existing owners like us tempted to upgrade or, will it not be that different (to warrant us spending a chunk of money on it) and instead they focus more on new customers. 

It's not different enough for me, and I'm with @Varelco that the design is less attractive than the current car.

I do wonder who will buy it. If you didn't buy into the ethos of the original GT86, are you going to be interested in this? And if you did buy into it, are you going to upgrade to what's essentially a major facelift? It'll be a hard sell.

Different as they are, I don't think I'd walk past a GR Yaris for the GR86.

3 hours ago, spikyone said:

It's not different enough for me, and I'm with @Varelco that the design is less attractive than the current car.

I do wonder who will buy it. If you didn't buy into the ethos of the original GT86, are you going to be interested in this? And if you did buy into it, are you going to upgrade to what's essentially a major facelift? It'll be a hard sell.

Different as they are, I don't think I'd walk past a GR Yaris for the GR86.

Might not be that hard a sell for me. I've owned a 2013 model for 7.5 years, primarily because there's little else on the market that offers what the GT86 does that I can realistically afford. 

I agree, the new model actually looks more like a big facelift. And exterior wise, I prefer the looks of my current car.

However, if they've kept the same ethos of the current car (fun, modest power, fairly light, manual, NA, cheap to run, etc) while fixing the main deficiencies (ie, a slight power boost but more importantly, more torque in the mid range) and giving it a better, more modern interior, then I can definitely see myself moving to one when my own car becomes too long in the tooth. 

1 hour ago, Conscript said:

Might not be that hard a sell for me. I've owned a 2013 model for 7.5 years, primarily because there's little else on the market that offers what the GT86 does that I can realistically afford. 

I agree, the new model actually looks more like a big facelift. And exterior wise, I prefer the looks of my current car.

However, if they've kept the same ethos of the current car (fun, modest power, fairly light, manual, NA, cheap to run, etc) while fixing the main deficiencies (ie, a slight power boost but more importantly, more torque in the mid range) and giving it a better, more modern interior, then I can definitely see myself moving to one when my own car becomes too long in the tooth. 

Well said! I also prefer the looks of my current car but sometimes these things look better in the metal.

I have a question and think I know the answer but cannot find it. I take it Tetsuya Tada GT86 and GR Supra Chief Engineer had no involvement in this GR86 car? From design photos I did not see him and no mention. Obviously early days and he could either be busy on S58 engine GR Supra or manual GR Supra, or something else entirely but would be nice to see if he had any input in this.

A facelift with a more powerful engine - but I like it a lot, the styling works for me. Be great if there was an immediate UK special edition option along the lines of the Blue Performance edition (Brembo's etc.), but I hope that one of the big advantages of this looking like a facelift will be that existing GT86 aftermarket parts like exhausts etc will be interchangeable as that would mean a good amount of things to play with from the outset. It will also be interesting to see what difference n Ecutek remap would make to those initial performance figures.

I also hope it comes in sub £30k as it needs to maintain affordability. I was really tempted to trade my 2013 for the Blue Performance edition the other year but couldn't justify the price at the time, but by the time this comes out my car will be heading for 9 years old and so I think it will be the right time to swap over.

More pics here: Auto Express

The GR86 is being added to GT Sport in August. I’m looking forward to doing some back to back Spa/Nur VR laps in the GR86 and the GT86.

On 4/5/2021 at 8:43 PM, Joolz said:

When I change cars choices  will be hard  GR Supra, GR86, GR Yaris, 400Z (Hope comes to U.K like 2 litre GR Supra where Toyota changed their mind).

On 4/6/2021 at 9:01 PM, Joolz said:

I have a question and think I know the answer but cannot find it. I take it Tetsuya Tada GT86 and GR Supra Chief Engineer had no involvement in this GR86 car? From design photos I did not see him and no mention. Obviously early days and he could either be busy on S58 engine GR Supra or manual GR Supra, or something else entirely but would be nice to see if he had any input in this.

Lots of wishful thinking here. No he's not been involved AFAIK due to the Supra development - remember this has been going on for some time on the GR86.

No chance of the 400Z making it to Europe - they aren't interested as it's not a key market so won't make it Euro compliant. The B48 Supra is as it's the BMW engine that's in everything. Also why you won't see a manual Supra - BMW don't mate a manual to anything other than a B48 and this is true in the Z4. I can't see a manual B58 at any point if the parent company don't and so the same will ring true if the GRMN-ish version arrives, possibly with the S58.

I agree that I think the styling of the new car is very generic - I see the rear has Vauxhall look, but I think it's more wannabe NSX. It should be a better all round car and if the block is similar to the FA20 then you may find many of the SC and TC kits will work with little or no modification.

6 hours ago, MartinT said:

Higher compression ratio will make boosting problematic.

I doubt it is higher given that there is less bhp per litre than the FA20. Seen a couple of figures banded about, but I reckon there will be little difference to the 12.5:1.

16 hours ago, Kodename47 said:

No he's not been involved AFAIK due to the Supra development - remember this has been going on for some time on the GR86.

I wonder if you'd actually need someone of his calibre involved in a project like this; it seems to be a facelift of the existing car with some extra stiffening, new interior trim, and a bigger engine.  It's a very different job from creating a clean sheet design.