Konstantusxie

Where is Administration gt86.org.uk?

I doubt that spammers 'in person' register and post ads. Most probably, they do some wide internet scans for popular forum engines and in automated/scripted fashion register & post ads (from what observed, usually in forum sections or threads where there is activity / recent posts). As some of posts are using wrong language or for completely non automotive themes, it makes me doubt that there is actual person that does that.

Imho to not have to deal manually again and again by having people to report & adms/mods to remove such automated spamming, it's worth:

1) if possible, rename url by which standard new user register form is available at to something non standard, at least to forum software that is used;

2) check if used captcha or alike mechanisms can be hardened or if some extra steps can be added, eg. verification mails, mod approval of new accounts or whatever alike, that might work to make it harder to register in automated/scripted fashion.

Mod approval of new accounts works well for me on my hi-fi forum.  We use IP and spam checks on the e-mail address given before we let members in.  Very rarely do we then get a spam post but it's an instant ban if they do.

On 3/7/2021 at 10:44 AM, Test Drives Unlimited said:

We get these Russians all the time on the RX-8OC but they get deleted long before the members see the posts emoji23.png

Our classic car website logs are full of attempts to inject urls into forms and the like .. most from .ru and other eastern european domains. They don't work as we have renamed all the pages they have listed and attempt to hack .. plus we've re-written the code to reject urls and added recaptcha challenges .. 

On 3/8/2021 at 10:06 PM, gazza82 said:

Our classic car website logs are full of attempts to inject urls into forms and the like .. most from .ru and other eastern european domains. They don't work as we have renamed all the pages they have listed and attempt to hack .. plus we've re-written the code to reject urls and added recaptcha challenges .. 

It's a daily event on the sxoc, it's a pleasure to bin and ban the OP