Stutopia

Rusty Sump

Whilst the BRZ was in for unrelated work, spotted the sump was sporting a fine coat of oil with no apparent source from above and a suspicious amount of bubbling on the sump itself.

TG7v30Z.jpg

Not sure if mine is a one off or there’s been some minor historic damage that’s let water at the surface or if it’s common, but thought it worth sharing. Mine’s a 2013 on 80k.

Having inspected it with mechanic, it’s definitely the corrosion that’s caused the weep. Naturally it’s being sorted ASAP, but it brought a mixture of shock at finding it and relief that it’s been spotted before it squirted out onto the exhaust and caused a lot of horrible smoke and potentially worse.

Do you drive the car without an undertray? There is a lot of rust on the subframe too. Looks like its been driven without an undertray. Mine looks brand new underneath; certainly nowhere even remotely like that.

12 minutes ago, Leeky said:

Do you drive the car without an undertray? There is a lot of rust on the subframe too. Looks like its been driven without an undertray. Mine looks brand new underneath; certainly nowhere even remotely like that.

Not in my ownership and I can't imagine the PO would have, just to put it back on again for sale. Can't really see what advantage there would be to running with it off, it's not like it weighs much.

Interesting to note. The car is meant to be rust proofed at 6 yrs / 60K. Did you get that done? That should've sorted the subframe. Don't think they spray waxoyl on sump and the manifold heat cycles must be bubbling off the paint.

What sump are you going with? IIRC, Cusco has a baffled, finned aluminium sump with potentially better oil cooling.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I did not know there was a 60k/6 year undercarriage requirement. I’ve been keeping my eye on the whole underneath the last few years, whenever it’s been up in the air, it’s actually pretty clean and certainly solid (once the sump goes!). It’s ripe for doing now, as it only needs a wire brushing & treating in a few spots.

Regarding sump replacement, I’ve got a like for like to collect from Subaru on Monday and I may slip a Cosworth baffle in there too. Coincidentally, the heat of the headers is already being addressed in an unrelated mod, as it’s going in for ceramic coating shortly (the heat wrap looks tatty and gets on my tits).

I’m not concerned about any of it, as I don’t mind spending on her for long term benefit, but just wanted to point it out as something to keep an eye on for anyone else having a look under theirs.

I did not know there was a 60k/6 year undercarriage requirement. I’ve been keeping my eye on the whole underneath the last few years, whenever it’s been up in the air, it’s actually pretty clean and certainly solid (once the sump goes!). It’s ripe for doing now, as it only needs a wire brushing & treating in a few spots.
Regarding sump replacement, I’ve got a like for like to collect from Subaru on Monday and I may slip a Cosworth baffle in there too. Coincidentally, the heat of the headers is already being addressed in an unrelated mod, as it’s going in for ceramic coating shortly (the heat wrap looks tatty and gets on my tits).
I’m not concerned about any of it, as I don’t mind spending on her for long term benefit, but just wanted to point it out as something to keep an eye on for anyone else having a look under theirs.
I assume then the first owner did not give you the bodywork guarantee paperwork then? It does not seem mandated by Toyota.
If you live close to Sussex , you can use Protectorust to do a professional thorough job for £200 with Waxoyl or Dinitrol.

If you don't mind, how much is the Sump costing? You will need to leave the car overnight at the garage for the sealant to dry.

How is your LSD sump/ housing looking? That bit needs some TLC in my car which I plan to do this summer.

Glad it's not all the new baby getting the attention and the baby from the land of rising sun still gets tlc.

Does the 6yr body service apply to the gt86 too as I've never heard of it before and nothing mentioned at my 6th service?
Not mandated by Toyota. Question back to you , does the Toyota come with a 12 yr paintwork anti perforation warranty? If yes, then it would be a condition to get it inspected every year at service and get a reseal done at Yr 6.

Logically they are the same car made in the same factory by Subaru, so if the car is a keeper for you , then I will get it done irrespective of what Toyota mandates ( or not).

7 minutes ago, BRZ-123 said:

I assume then the first owner did not give you the bodywork guarantee paperwork then? It does not seem mandated by Toyota.
If you live close to Sussex , you can use Protectorust to do a professional thorough job for £200 with Waxoyl or Dinitrol.

If you don't mind, how much is the Sump costing? You will need to leave the car overnight at the garage for the sealant to dry.

How is your LSD sump/ housing looking? That bit needs some TLC in my car which I plan to do this summer.

Glad it's not all the new baby getting the attention and the baby from the land of rising sun still gets tlc.

Sump is £70 from Subaru. It’s in for 10 days for an exhaust tweak and whilst the headers go off to Zircotec for coating, so will have plenty of time to dry.

Peculiar that you’re diff needs attention, mine’s totally clean back there. It seems to be the joins on the subframes that suffer.