Yolanda Cyrus

Quesstion about wheels modification

Here is the thing, I hate the look of sunken wheels on the vehicle body!!!
I plan to buy put some wheel spacers on, 3/4inch or 1/2inch, not too thick, but still, I worry about the safety.
'Cause I saw some terrible pics on the internet of the wheels jump out bcz of wheel spacers.
So I search for some proof of WHEEL SPACERS SAFETY, and here's a result that I got from the internet.
Hope there's somebody can tell me that it is true that wheel spacers are safe only if I treat them right.

I think mine are 20mm. I know they're definitely Eibach. I remember because I had to send them about 79 emails asking where they were after about 3 weeks of waiting and having had no email updates..

Nothing wrong with wheel spacers if you install them correctly.

I stand firmly by the fact that if a formula drift car can bump it's way down a banked circuit while going sideways at 80-100MPH with 1100hp with 50mm spacers fitted then you're never going to have an issue with them as long as the one's you bought don't say "Nestle" or "Cadbury's" on them.

Just install them, Torque them to spec and re-torque them after 20-50 miles.

Have been running 15mm/20mm for 2 years now with no issues. Just make sure they are a reputable make and that they are hubcentric and you wont have any issues. 

Could you not get this look with changing the wheels.  I was thinking if you were going to buy some different alloys could the same look not be achieved?

Same "flushness"? Obviously, it doesn't matter, if offset is via spacer or via wheel hub's own offset, from outside it will look same (unless higher offset wheels have also different face looks, eg. "deeper spoke dish").

Those who have been running spacers long term with no issues...how long have you had them and what mileage/age of vehicle?

I installed Eibach spacers about three years ago (15/20mm). Car was on about 55K 68K miles and 5 years old. Loved the look with them on, no effect on anything else apart from slightly heavier steering. Nice.

At the start of last year, I started hearing the tell tale growl of worn wheel bearings. Long story short, I ended up having to replace both my rear bearings around the middle of last year (about 83K miles on the car by then). Fearing they'd failed as a result of increased load from the spacers, I took them off when I did the bearings and didn't put them back on - it wasn't a very nice job to do and I'd rather not do it again.

I know spacers will place an increased moment on the bearing, so wear will be increased to some degree, but so many others seem to have them fitted and report no issues - and most seem to have larger spacer than I did. Have I just been unlucky, or is it simply a case that bearing failure will be inevitable and I just had it because I did more miles?

Edited by Conscript
Mileage corrected.

6 minutes ago, 86iain said:

Surely wheels with a lower offset would do the same thing though?

Indeed. I'm guessing lots of people have those as well, so the question applies to them too.

I'm not saying it is a common problem, I'm just trying to gauge whether my bearing failures were attributable solely to the spacers, or if they only become a problem for higher mileages. Hence why I'm trying to find out how long those who've had no problems have been running spacers (or lower offsets). I'd love to put the spacer backs on, but I wouldn't love to be replacing bearings again in 30K miles, as it was two swear-word filled afternoons of misery.

Well, many that report "it's fine", by their experiences that "fine" might be - nothing broken in 20K km. Yes, spacers do increase load on bearings and also scrub radius. But wear/fail is not immediate obviously, and those that feel that specific looks change is must, are ok with that increased wear. If you are not .. well, it's up to you to decide, which matters more by your preferences & priorities. I don't care about looks & flushness, so only reason why i use 10mm spacers in front in winter, so to have more steering angle w/o rubbing with megan steering rod tie ends.

I was put off by wheel spacers, because of added weight, I don’t like looking through the spokes of the wheel and seeing the spacers. I use my car on track and would want one failing due to heat and expansion of different materials. 
But mostly because I do a lot of work on my car self and you’d have to remove the spacer to get to the brakes. Plus you also need a friend to stand and the brake pedal to torque up the front wheel spacers because you can’t stop the hub from spinning if there’s no wheel attached. 
Ignoring this hub centric spacers are perfectly safe but will put extra load on the hub bearings in the same way that high offset wheels will do, but we’re talking several thousand miles and not five minutes. 

I fitted Eibach hubcentric spacers back in May 2014.  10mm front, 20mm rear.  The front ones come with longer studs, which  ensures sufficient thread for the wheel nuts.  No problems in 10000 miles.  If I was doing a trackday, I might consider taking them off.  I am prepared for additional wear on hub bearings, especially with wider wheels, but I have managed 7 years so far so when it comes, I won't be dissatisfied with how long they lasted.

I was put off by wheel spacers, because of added weight, I don’t like looking through the spokes of the wheel and seeing the spacers. I use my car on track and would want one failing due to heat and expansion of different materials. 
But mostly because I do a lot of work on my car self and you’d have to remove the spacer to get to the brakes. Plus you also need a friend to stand and the brake pedal to torque up the front wheel spacers because you can’t stop the hub from spinning if there’s no wheel attached. 
Ignoring this hub centric spacers are perfectly safe but will put extra load on the hub bearings in the same way that high offset wheels will do, but we’re talking several thousand miles and not five minutes. 
Just a note Luke I use a screwdriver through the disc vanes wedged against the calliper to torque the front spacer nuts.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

Yes I use 25mm spacers have done for say 30k miles had to replace my rear wheel bearings at 65k. Have they caused it, I would say no but they will have reduced the life for sure. Most wheel bearing need to be replaced around 100-120k miles but the variables such as road surface amount of high speed cornering/driving make it impossible to compare bearing life on different cars.

46 minutes ago, sam534 said:

Just a note Luke I use a screwdriver through the disc vanes wedged against the calliper to torque the front spacer nuts.

That’s a good work around. Hope it’s not a snap off screwdriver 🪛 lol

That’s a good work around. Hope it’s not a snap off screwdriver 🪛 lol
Its a nice long chunky one

21 hours ago, Subota Boy said:

I fitted Eibach hubcentric spacers back in May 2014.  10mm front, 20mm rear.  The front ones come with longer studs, which  ensures sufficient thread for the wheel nuts.  No problems in 10000 miles.  If I was doing a trackday, I might consider taking them off.  I am prepared for additional wear on hub bearings, especially with wider wheels, but I have managed 7 years so far so when it comes, I won't be dissatisfied with how long they lasted.

So you've had spacers on for 7 years but only done 10K miles? Jesus! What mileage did the car have when you put them on? I'm assuming not that much.

I think that's my problem, when I put the spacers on, the car was already on 55K 68K miles, so I was accelerating wear on already well used bearings.

I may go back to the spacers - hopefully as the car has new bearings and my annual mileage has dropped to about 5-6K miles a year, it will be more than 2.5 years before I have to worry about them again. 

EDIT: What an idiot I am. It turns out, I was reading my own MOT history wrong (that's about the only way I can remember my mileage year to year). I put the spacers on in about March 2018 if I remember, and my MOT history for January that year shows the mileage was 68K...so the car must have had about that when the spacers went on. I started hearing the worn bearings early last year, when the car had about 80K miles. So it's actually only been about 12K miles before they wore out - but as above, whereas I'm guessing you've put spacers on a low mileage car anyway, mine was already quite tired when I installed them.

16 hours ago, sam534 said:

Yes I use 25mm spacers have done for say 30k miles had to replace my rear wheel bearings at 65k. Have they caused it, I would say no but they will have reduced the life for sure. Most wheel bearing need to be replaced around 100-120k miles but the variables such as road surface amount of high speed cornering/driving make it impossible to compare bearing life on different cars.

Don't know about most wheel bearing average life expectancy, one front wheel bearing had need to replace after starting to hum after 50K km(not miles). Back then i had never spacers on car. So spacers shouldn't be singled out as too major wear contributor. It may depend on many other factors too, eg. roughness of roads, car abuse on track and so on..

18 hours ago, Conscript said:

So you've had spacers on for 7 years but only done 10K miles? Jesus! What mileage did the car have when you put them on? I'm assuming not that much.

I think that's my problem, when I put the spacers on, the car was already on 55K 68K miles, so I was accelerating wear on already well used bearings.

I may go back to the spacers - hopefully as the car has new bearings and my annual mileage has dropped to about 5-6K miles a year, it will be more than 2.5 years before I have to worry about them again. 

EDIT: What an idiot I am. It turns out, I was reading my own MOT history wrong (that's about the only way I can remember my mileage year to year). I put the spacers on in about March 2018 if I remember, and my MOT history for January that year shows the mileage was 68K...so the car must have had about that when the spacers went on. I started hearing the worn bearings early last year, when the car had about 80K miles. So it's actually only been about 12K miles before they wore out - but as above, whereas I'm guessing you've put spacers on a low mileage car anyway, mine was already quite tired when I installed them.

3600 miles when I put them on.  Family commitments and being a carer mean I seem to spend more time looking at the car than driving it!  So, because looking at it is so important, spacers to get the stance right were one of the first modifications.  I am on 12500 miles now, and every time I get in it, it feels like a new car.  So I have had what feels like a new car every year for 8 years.  Maybe my wife will bury me in it?

DSC06885_(3).JPG