Jay Bamrah

Ecutek

Hey,

if I buy a used ecutek obd Bluetooth device which comes with the cable to plug it into your laptop. Is that all I need to remap the car? It says on their website it is but then it also says racerom for £249 lets you do it so I’m confused

Thank you 

The simplest thing for you to do, is take it to Fensport / Abbey / Tuning Developements / Amber Performance and ask them to map it for you.

If you want to remote map your car using a pre-made map you need:

Ecutek kit with Programming

Ecutek License - Assuming your car doesn't already have a license assigned to it. 

If you wanted to create your own custom map you also need, in addition to the above.

Ecutek RaceRom - BRZ Upgrade for Pro ECU

Fensport offer a rental Ecutek programming kit, which might be a good option. You'd still need the license and someone to tune it. 

Search for Ecutek on the Fensport website (I'm using Fensport as it's easy to find the various option on their website):

https://www.fensport.co.uk/search?q=ecutek 

2 minutes ago, will300 said:

To remap your car using a pre-made map you need:

Ecutek kit with Programming

Ecutek License - Assuming your car doesn't already have a license assigned to it. 

If you wanted to map your car yourself you also need, in addition to the above.

Ecutek RaceRom - BRZ Upgrade for Pro ECU

Fensport offer a rental Ecutek programming kit, which might be a good option. You'd still need the license and someone to tune it. 

Search for Ecutek on the Fensport website (I'm using Fensport as it's easy to find the various option on their website):

https://www.fensport.co.uk/search?q=ecutek 

Thankyou so using fensport 

£84 to rent the equipment 

£270 for lisence 

£298 flr racerom 

£652 total? That’s as cheap as I will be able to remap my car for?

Just now, will300 said:

No, you still need to purchase the actual custom tune from someone or create your own, which then requires the Ecutek RaceRom - BRZ Upgrade for Pro ECU. With either option that would make it more like a £1,000 all in. 

Oh okay and there isn’t a standard tune I can use? I wasn’t expecting it to cost even half of that at first.

I see on fensport I can get the NA remap for£336

can I just do that?

No, it's not like an Open Flash Tablet where there are maps readly available for everyone. 

You need to purchase a custom map from a tuner or create your own.

Fensport is £336.00 for mapping without an Ecutek License.

If you need a license it's: £552.00

3 minutes ago, will300 said:

No, it's not like an Open Flash Tablet where there are maps readly available for everyone. 

You need to purchase a custom map from a tuner or create your own.

Fensport is £336.00 for mapping without an Ecutek License.

If you need a license it's: £552.00

Oh okay, lol to remap my old car it was just £300 :( 

thank you this has really helped though !

It'd make more sense for you to just buy an N/A package from the likes of Abbey / Fensport or Tuning Developments. By the time you spent the money on the manifold, install/fitting and custom mapping it works out about the same price, around £1500.

Fensport Package - Uses a Tomei manifold:

https://www.fensport.co.uk/collections/toyota-gt86-2012-to-2016/products/fensport-na-tuning-package-torque-dip-gt86-brz

Tuning Developments:

https://www.tuningdevelopments.uk/product_info.php?cPath=502_625_852&products_id=2567&osCsid=3lb2ul1mqgs8sqdj63r5coo804

18 minutes ago, will300 said:

It'd make more sense for you to just buy an N/A package from the likes of Abbey / Fensport or Tuning Developments. By the time you spent the money on the manifold, install/fitting and custom mapping it works out about the same price, around £1500.

Fensport Package - Uses a Tomei manifold:

https://www.fensport.co.uk/collections/toyota-gt86-2012-to-2016/products/fensport-na-tuning-package-torque-dip-gt86-brz

Tuning Developments:

https://www.tuningdevelopments.uk/product_info.php?cPath=502_625_852&products_id=2567&osCsid=3lb2ul1mqgs8sqdj63r5coo804

If you look here on the marketplace there’s a fuji racing uel header for £425 if I buy that and get it fitted for £156 at my local garage plus £516 tune at abbey motorsports that’s £1097. Apparantly the fuji is a rebranded tomei so I would save myself mainly on the rebranded header and installation cost around £400?

What do you think ?

If that's the route you want to take, go for it.

It's also worth mentioning when ordering the Fuji manifold directly from the supplier it also comes with the overpipe, but there is no mention of that in the 2nd hand sales thread

See: https://www.importcarparts.co.uk/parts-info?id=14006&cat=89&sub=3583&sec=0&var=0&dc=&gen=&searchKey=&searchPart=

Not that you should need the overpipe as it should fit the standard one.

Just now, will300 said:

If that's the route you want to take, go for it.

It's also worth mentioning when ordering the Fuji manifold directly from the supplier it also comes with the overpipe, but there is no mention of that in the 2nd hand sales thread

See: https://www.importcarparts.co.uk/parts-info?id=14006&cat=89&sub=3583&sec=0&var=0&dc=&gen=&searchKey=&searchPart=

Not that you should need the overpipe as it should fit the standard one.

I have messaged him and it does come with the over pipe, just il need gaskets as he didn’t order those.

I can’t see why it wouldn’t be better taking that route and saving £400 but you are clearly wiser than me on this topic so I trust your judgement over my own to be honest haha.

Certainly possible to get a cheaper price then the Tuning Developments package with second hand parts etc. Would be worth contacting the likes of Abbey directly for advice though.

In the end I just went with the tuning developments package as it was drive in and drive out and I knew all the parts were hand picked to give a good proven package.

Certainly wouldnt be attempting to map a car myself though unless I knew exactly what I was doing. Gets very expensive if you get it wrong!

1 minute ago, gavin_t said:

Certainly possible to get a cheaper price then the Tuning Developments package with second hand parts etc. Would be worth contacting the likes of Abbey directly for advice though.

In the end I just went with the tuning developments package as it was drive in and drive out and I knew all the parts were hand picked to give a good proven package.

Certainly would be attempting to map a car myself though unless I knew exactly what I was doing. Gets very expensive if you get it wrong!

That’s a very true point, I think for the extra stress, for me saving £400 would be worth it. I guess now it would just come down to does anyone have any issues with the Fuji header I’m on about as if it really is a rebranded tomei then this should all be fine?

I am sure someone with one will be able to offer some feedback. I got so confused with which manifolds were better then others in the end I just went with a complete package. :lol:

When I was looking there wasn't a 2nd hand manifold available so the price of hand picking new parts vs the TD package was less. So I went for the drive up north and found myself a cheap hotel and let mike work his magic.

3 minutes ago, gavin_t said:

I am sure someone with one will be able to offer some feedback. I got so confused with which manifolds were better then others in the end I just went with a complete package. :lol:

When I was looking there wasn't a 2nd hand manifold available so the price of hand picking new parts vs the TD package was less. So I went for the drive up north and found myself a cheap hotel and let mike work his magic.

I know most likely  what you will say but looking back do you still justify the £1500 to how it changed the car? Obviously I’m going to make the jump and buy that fuji header at the end of the month and then tune the car etc so before I jump is there any last words u have for my wallet 😂 I’ve never spent so much money on a car mod I’m just nervous 

4 hours ago, Jay Bamrah said:

I know most likely  what you will say but looking back do you still justify the £1500 to how it changed the car? Obviously I’m going to make the jump and buy that fuji header at the end of the month and then tune the car etc so before I jump is there any last words u have for my wallet 😂 I’ve never spent so much money on a car mod I’m just nervous 

I bought the Tuning Developments UEL Manifold when there was a sale and had it shipped to me, then fitted the manifold myself (Not an overly difficult job to be honest), and took it to Abbey Motorsports for the EcuTek license + dyno tune. It does save money and is also a good option if you live many many hours away from Tuning Developments.

@Jay Bamrah just to close the loop on the top thread, the EcuTek packages are as follows:

• ECU License: Usually around £250, this is to allow the ECU to take an EcuTek ROM. The ECU only needs this the 1st time it's flashed, so there may be 2nd hand cars that have this already.
  • Programming Kit (or the BT EVI Kit) with Dongle: The Dongle is the part that allows use of the ProECU software on your PC/Laptop. This is used to flash and log files to the ECU. You do not need this if you're getting tuned by someone else. Needed if you're remote mapping or logging. Can be used to make basic maps for your car and can be used to flash OTS maps if you want. The cable or BT EVI is just the device to connect laptop to the OBD port.
  • RaceROM Upgrade: This is basically a Tuner License lite. It's applied to the dongle and is there to give you greater access to maps, including the custom and RaceROM maps, for self tuning. So this allows you to create better maps, but makes zero difference if you are flashng someone else's maps.

https://www.ecutek.com/Products/Retail/ProECU-Programming-Kit/Features/ProECU-BRZ

23 hours ago, Jay Bamrah said:

As with any tuning modification on an NA engine it is expensive for a little gain.

Changes the power delivery and makes it much easier to drive which I like. Does it feel faster, not really. Would I do it again, probably as it does make for a nicer drive.

I assume from your other comments you may have had a turbo car before. You will never get the cost vs performance gains you get with those cars with these unfortunately.

I had a Custom Built Exhaust System made for my car and then took the car to Fensport, where Adrian worked his magic on mapping it.

My GT86 was the 11th Auto he had mapped at the time and in total had mapped about 50 GT86's.

The whole system gave me a power gain of between 25bhp - 30bhp approx and certainly noticed the difference

Custom Exhaust System £2,200

Fitted by Bespoke Performance £400

Fensport Mapping License £160

Fensport Maps x3 £450

I would say money well spent

Mileage now 133,105