Iceman

2030 electric legislation

Hi all, I heard on radio about 2030 law to encourage changing our cars for electric versions. Petrol and diesel will be extra charged on taxes and probably fuel will be expensive too. Boris and the goverment are insane, what about fellas with old ferrari's and mini one`s - jaguar`s etc? EV-s are ugly and 5 doors low range of mileage and not sporty cars, not good shape at all. What do you think guys about this plan from goverment? Now I pay 150 quid for road tax :))

10 years is enough time for the industry to sort itself out. It's inevitable and many countries are doing similar. If you look at some of the new Chinese tech, such as Geely (who own Lotus and Volvo) and their drive towards EV, I don't think we'll be disappointed. It will just be different.

New Tesla roadster with over 7000 lb.ft of Torque, seems crazy but these can be done only with EV. It's just battery technology that needs to be there and affordable to make it work really. And for the obsession of massive touch screens to go. Having just seen the new Nissan Ariya, I think that it could be my next family car replacement:

Nissan_Ariya-01@2x.jpg

30 minutes ago, Kodename47 said:

10 years is enough time for the industry to sort itself out. It's inevitable and many countries are doing similar. If you look at some of the new Chinese tech, such as Geely (who own Lotus and Volvo) and their drive towards EV, I don't think we'll be disappointed. It will just be different.

New Tesla roadster with over 7000 lb.ft of Torque, seems crazy but these can be done only with EV. It's just battery technology that needs to be there and affordable to make it work really. And for the obsession of massive touch screens to go. Having just seen the new Nissan Ariya, I think that it could be my next family car replacement:

Nissan_Ariya-01@2x.jpg

I preffer to convert my gt86 to electric 😄 i don.t want other

I’ll still have my 86 in 30 years from now. They can put up the road tax and fuel prices as high as they want, i’ll just pay it and carry on. Worth every penny.

Sadly it’s a way of the times that ice cars are being phased out. This is why I plan to go all out on my 86 over the next few years for one last hoorah before being forced into electric.

although I have no issues with electric cars and I’m sure for 90% of people they make much better sense. I mean if I didn’t have to warm my engine up i could cut my commute in half 

2 hours ago, Daninplymouth said:

Sadly it’s a way of the times that ice cars are being phased out. This is why I plan to go all out on my 86 over the next few years for one last hoorah before being forced into electric.

although I have no issues with electric cars and I’m sure for 90% of people they make much better sense. I mean if I didn’t have to warm my engine up i could cut my commute in half 

Now it-s possible to make conversion from fuel to LPG - then must be to EV - our models are too nice for rid them off. 1 we can go to live in another country where they accept for long years fuel cars or conversion in uk. In my case I will retire in 4-5 years back home

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

Now it-s possible to make conversion from fuel to LPG - then must be to EV - our models are too nice for rid them off. 1 we can go to live in another country where they accept for long years fuel cars or conversion in uk. In my case I will retire in 4-5 years back home

It's certainly possible to do, there are "crate" electric motors out there already, would just be packaging the batteries that is hard - and therefore making them viable via fast charging or suitable range. I mean there are EV beetles, classic Astons etc.

Thing is, China is being driven towards EV at a fast pace at the moment, and I reckon Europe (EU+ others) will move in tandem towards a target of 2030/2035 - most already have similar targets. I think because of this, all the major manufacturers will have to move as the power of these markets will make it so. Don't forget that at this point, this is for new car sales, not necessarily to get all existing cars off the market. Plus we have the potential for man made fuels, like the ones that Porsche are investing in, that will make ICE cars more environmentally friendly. Plus we've not really seen much in the way of performance Hybrid tech, which is coming down the pipeline now - see that the M40i BMW engines using the tech in the M340i/D and M440i even if only in mild form - The new AMG C series will use similar.

I understand the emotion behind the noise of combustion, it's why I echo that I want to get out of mine into some of the best sounding cars around at the moment while the tech gets there to make the jump to EV/Hybrid.

Will be interesting whether cars values drop completely or the market sees ICE as something that will appreciate.

Single biggest issue with electric is weight... The smallest tesla pack at 85kwh is as much as half our entire car... Never mind the motor weight. 

(you do obviously get the gain of no engine) 

49465737482_5103637411_k.jpg20191207_160242 by Richard Beale, on Flickr

Been there done that. Mine is for tax reasons more than anything.

Long story short is the infrastructure is no where near there to support it yet, and I think it would be a struggle to get it sorted in just ten years.

Any questions fire away.

I’m one of those people that has zero interest in electric or hybrids. But I can see the appeal/benefits of one. If anything my future car purchase plans involve adding more petrol cars with at least 8 cylinders to my collection lol

Also financially there are zero benefits for me to make the switch as I don't have to commute to work. My cars are all for recreational use only.

If all petrol stations disappear i’ll be happy buying barrels of E85 online. The more people that go electric the more petrol left for me :) lol

Our hybrid for family use. Took a while to get used to the hybrid idea, but it is really not a bad drivers car.  Sensitive steering, great roadholding, low COG etc, and sport mode can be great fun.  MPG is not as good as you might think, averaging mid 50s mpg.

It would not replace the GT though! 

DSC06248.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

IMG_20200327_154934_zpsflocv5ux.jpg