Whizo

US vs UK prices.

Hi all.

I have wanted to modify my GT86 since the day I bought it.  My plan was to buy these mods - 

Valenti Revo Rear Lights

Vland Front Lights

Invidia N1 Cat Back Exhaust

Tein Flex Z Coilovers or Lowering Springs

New Alloys and Tyres

As well as the above I was going to get a few other bits but the above is the bulk of what I wanted to do.  

Now after some research on prices I have found that if you buy direct from the US and include postage you save a ton of money.  I am not sure if all these items will be subject to import tax and VAT but in some cases you are still better off buying from the US.  Has anyone else here purchased their mods outside of the UK and if you have how did you find the process? Did you get stung by customs or where you one of the lucky ones who’s items slipped through?

I guess I am a little shocked at the price difference.  Can’t believe how much we get shafted in the UK. Actually surprised anyone can actually afford to mod their cars!

Hi all.
I have wanted to modify my GT86 since the day I bought it.  My plan was to buy these mods - 
Valenti Revo Rear Lights
Vland Front Lights
New Alloys and Tyres
As well as the above I was going to get a few other bits but the above is the bulk of what I wanted to do.  

Now after some research on prices I have found that if you buy direct from the US and include postage you save a ton of money.  I am not sure if all these items will be subject to import tax and VAT but in some cases you are still better off buying from the US.  Has anyone else here purchased their mods outside of the UK and if you have how did you find the process? Did you get stung by customs or where you one of the lucky ones who’s items slipped through?
I guess I am a little shocked at the price difference.  Can’t believe how much we get shafted in the UK. Actually surprised anyone can actually afford to mod their cars!
I've always been stung at customs from the half a dozen things I have bought. If your buying from US expect to get taxes and customs charges every time. If you don't get pinged then your very lucky.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

You don't get stung by customs unless they over charge you which is very rare.

I've ordered bits from Japan before - the Valenti indicator relay and the TRD aero fins, even with VAT + customs charges they were cheaper than any UK supplier, and in the case of the indicator relay, probably got it earlier than I would have if I ordered it from the only UK supplier :P 

If you're importing, it'll take longer and you run the risk of it being a nightmare to send back if there's an issue. I wouldn't do big bulky items like wheels/tyres/suspension from outside the UK for that reason.

Not sure if the vlands are any cheaper in the US, they're pretty cheap direct. US prices will be without sales tax too as well.

55 minutes ago, Mike said:

You don't get stung by customs unless they over charge you which is very rare.

I've ordered bits from Japan before - the Valenti indicator relay and the TRD aero fins, even with VAT + customs charges they were cheaper than any UK supplier, and in the case of the indicator relay, probably got it earlier than I would have if I ordered it from the only UK supplier :P 

If you're importing, it'll take longer and you run the risk of it being a nightmare to send back if there's an issue. I wouldn't do big bulky items like wheels/tyres/suspension from outside the UK for that reason.

Not sure if the vlands are any cheaper in the US, they're pretty cheap direct. US prices will be without sales tax too as well.

The TRD aero fins are also on my list.  Where did you source those mate. They cost an arm and a leg in the U.K.  

I see what you mean about the bigger items, but some of the savings are crazy, Tein coilovers and the Invidia N1 are about £150-£200 cheaper at a minimum.  So just for those two items you’re saving £300-£400!!

22 minutes ago, will300 said:

Where are you finding Tein Coilovers upto £200 cheaper?

Most suppliers in the US.  Take a look at 86Speed. £546 plus approx postage for $100 comes to £620 excluding VAT and import tax.  In the U.K. they are around £760-800 excluding the postage.

12 minutes ago, Whizo said:

Most suppliers in the US.  Take a look at 86Speed. £546 plus approx postage for $100 comes to £620 excluding VAT and import tax.  In the U.K. they are around £760-800 excluding the postage.

Stick VAT on that £546 and you're at £655, then postage, handling fee and import duties. You're looking at a very similar price to a UK supplier and potentially more depending on import duties.

May not be worth it.....

4 minutes ago, Kaltorak said:

Stick VAT on that £546 and you're at £655, then postage, handling fee and import duties. You're looking at a very similar price to a UK supplier and potentially more depending on import duties.

May not be worth it.....

That’s what I’m trying to work out.  Not sure what the charges are once the package hits the U.K.  I knew about VAT and import tax.  But didn’t think about handling fees. What is the handling fee for?

I bought a load of my gear when fixing up my car including rear lights, intake, radiator, fan shroud, etc all from FT86 Speed factory in the US and in the long run i think it was basically the same price as stuff in the UK only it was actually in stock unlike parts in the UK at the time.

Headlights is a risky game because of them being LHD of course but other than that go for it i say. It makes sense on bulkier orders rather than a one off item or 2

35 minutes ago, Whizo said:

But it's not $100 dollars shipping, it's actually $285.65 from the quote I've done, making the total £750. 

Then once you've added import duty and tax it'll be over £900. See the below import calculator figures (this was based on the FTSpeed prices).

Duty Calculator for referrence: https://www.simplyduty.com/import-calculator/

coilover_import.jpg

The other thing your forgetting is quite a few of the UK places will do discount of around 10% if you mention your a member of the 86 Drivers club. 

For example: Amber Performance list the Valenti Revo's at £642.00, but with there discount I paid £550 for my set.

2 minutes ago, Whizo said:

That’s what I’m trying to work out.  Not sure what the charges are once the package hits the U.K.  I knew about VAT and import tax.  But didn’t think about handling fees. What is the handling fee for?

The handling fee is for them taking the time out of their busy day to charge you all the other bits!

If you want a set of coilovers then I can highly recommend these over lowering springs. They are an entry level set but with enough adjustability for daily and fast road driving.

TEIN Street Advance Z TUV Certified Coilovers suspension kit - Toyota GT86 Subaru BRZ (part-box.com)

If you dont mind 2nd hand you can pick up an Invidia N1 from anywhere between £200 - £350 depending on condition.

1 hour ago, Whizo said:

The TRD aero fins are also on my list.  Where did you source those mate. They cost an arm and a leg in the U.K.  

I see what you mean about the bigger items, but some of the savings are crazy, Tein coilovers and the Invidia N1 are about £150-£200 cheaper at a minimum.  So just for those two items you’re saving £300-£400!!

https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/43911 for the aero fins, with vat + customs on top, think it worked out at £220 instead of the £265 in the UK

Want to thank everyone for all the advice.  It’s been a huge help.  I have worked out that all my mods will come to approx £4000-4500.  I paid £11000 for my car.  So the total would be close to £150000.  

My options are to sell and by something else.  Or spend the money and have the car as I want it to be.  Or the other option that’s really really tempting me is for £4000 I could get a 85” tv with a Sonos home cinema sound system which the whole family will benefit from.  Needless to say the home cinema is winning votes with the family.  But being a car nut I’m addicted to modding cars, even though I know I will never get my money back but it’s a heart over head thing. I’m sure you guys will understand but most people won’t.

Depends, if the family is already on an 80" TV without Sonos, its mod time! If they're watching the view out the window tuning into another episode of who's bin is it anyway, get the TV :D

Add into that the risk that if there is a problem when they are delivered and you will have to send them back to the USA. Forget it.

Plus always support a British company, if the margin in minimal! Some might even give you a club discount!

6 minutes ago, Kaltorak said:

Depends, if the family is already on an 80" TV without Sonos, its mod time! If they're watching the view out the window tuning into another episode of who's bin is it anyway, get the TV :D

Lol, we are still on a 50” TV that’s not even 4K, it’s several years old, got it before 4K even existed.  It’s barely HD.  We spend more time in front of the TV than in the car so common sense would say the TV should take priority.  But modding the GT86 is an itch that won’t go away. Needs scratching even though I know it doesn’t make sense spending that kind of money on it.  A lottery win would sort all my problems out!

US prices often look really good because they don't include sales tax; what we call VAT. They have to pay it on top of the price when they take it to the till, very confusing when you first go stateside! Don't get me wrong, they do have some bargains but as others have pointed out, by the time you've got it over here, paid the VAT, the import duty and various handlers who will bill you for presenting you with a bill then suddenly importing sounds expensive.

Bide your time and most of what you have called out comes up for sale second hand as people part out.

As for an 80" TV, jesus wept! How big a wall do you have to fit it on?

6 minutes ago, McDude said:

US prices often look really good because they don't include sales tax; what we call VAT. They have to pay it on top of the price when they take it to the till, very confusing when you first go stateside! Don't get me wrong, they do have some bargains but as others have pointed out, by the time you've got it over here, paid the VAT, the import duty and various handlers who will bill you for presenting you with a bill then suddenly importing sounds expensive.

Bide your time and most of what you have called out comes up for sale second hand as people part out.

As for an 80" TV, jesus wept! How big a wall do you have to fit it on?

Appreciate the advice may just hang fire and see what pops up on the second hand market.  

By the way it’s a 85” tv not a 80”, go big or go home right lol. 

On 1/29/2021 at 12:28 PM, Whizo said:

Hi all.

Valenti Revo Rear Lights

Vland Front Lights

New Alloys and Tyres

Uk has got cheap parts compared to fuckin'' EU prices. Search a good tuning workshop and they will find affordable prices parts

I got some Valenti sequential rear lights a couple of weeks back for £202.98 all in from thespeedline.com , no customs or additional taxes, guess I was lucky. Did order them back in November so over 6 weeks delivery. That maybe cos of COVID, Xmas or Brexit that customs are just horsing everything through.

I’ve had a look at the official VLAND site and they have two light kits for the headlights. One is LED and the other is HID. I have emailed them a couple of times with questions but they seem extremely slow with replies. Doesn’t fill me with confidence. If they can’t be bothered replying to emails and I’m willing to buy something what will they be like if something goes wrong!

On 1/29/2021 at 11:28 AM, Whizo said:

Hi all.

Valenti Revo Rear Lights

Vland Front Lights

New Alloys and Tyres

I live in the uk and paid £200 total end cost for valenti sequential black gold tinted tail lights from thespeedline. Defo recommend you try them. A dodgy looking website but I promise it’s legit.

Thanks for the link Jay, but I’m after the later model of lights. The Valenti Revo, that site only does the original model.  

Once I get underway with my orders and the stuff finally arrives what I am planning on doing is sharing the links to where I purchased everything from.  I have already found various retailers that are a little cheaper than what some on here have paid.  Might be handy for anyone looking to do similar mods.  Every few quid here and there saved soon adds up especially if you’re doing quite a few mods.