Jay Bamrah

Fensport vs Tuning Developments

I had a Sprintex supercharger previously (and several turbo cars) and preferred the progressive, more predictable and 'big engine' feel of a supercharger. 

The Harrop is a more grown-up supercharger with its Eaton core and intercooling over the Sprintex and is much quieter in operation (no whine).  It also has no lag so, together with the excellent tune from Abbey, responses are lightning fast.  There is some parasitic load but it doesn't affect responses and power is up by 50% to just over 300bhp which is plenty.  To be honest, it just feels like it's a 3.0l engine.

The combination of the excellent OEM feel of the Harrop kit and Abbey's attention to detail in the installation are just what I wanted for a car that is my daily all-season driver.

If you're driving hard enough to get the turbo that hot and then you drive into a lake, I think the turbo will be the least of your worries....
While the hot turbo, cold water scenario is possible, it is highly improbable. I haven't seen any "I wrote my turbo off driving through a puddle" threads on any forum.
Very few will claim they did damage driving their car through water. That's an idiot claiming he is one. So forums will not abound with such feedback. I did say its not a hugely likely scenario but with a low car and potentially lowered , is not a brilliant design for a daily. Great for track though as low COG.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Probably worth telling Subaru then

yq1xo4C.png

I did tell them which is why they did not bother fitting that turbo engine to the BRZ in first or second gen even though they had to develop the NA variant specifically.

For a high ground clearance SUV or even a rally car vs a low to the ground sports car, no comparison mate.

Took me a while to find it ,this is the best review for FI kits with all sorts of data and slants just from across the Atlantic. Take your time and read it a few times over Jay. Edelbrock is very similar to Harrop as it uses the same charger Eaton TVS 1320. So reference it that way and enjoy making your mind up.

https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/showcase/the-2018-86-challenge-presented-by-eneos/2/

The only thing I will say is that the Edelbrock develops a lot less power and torque than my Harrop.  However, the comments about road drivability are spot on.
It was tested on CARB California exhaust rules, so stock exhaust and both Cats intact . I think with that set up a Harrop would be ballpark thereabouts Martin. Dont you think so?

18 hours ago, BRZ-123 said:

Took me a while to find it ,this is the best review for FI kits with all sorts of data and slants just from across the Atlantic. Take your time and read it a few times over Jay. Edelbrock is very similar to Harrop as it uses the same charger Eaton TVS 1320. So reference it that way and enjoy making your mind up.

https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/showcase/the-2018-86-challenge-presented-by-eneos/2/

Excellent comparison, hadn't seen that one before.

16 hours ago, MartinT said:

The only thing I will say is that the Edelbrock develops a lot less power and torque than my Harrop.  However, the comments about road drivability are spot on.

Peak power is about the same as yours, I think.  The graphs on the link are whp; mine was putting out 250whp at Abbey so pretty much the same as they got from the Edelbrock, Mark reckoned that was around 290-295 at the flywheel.  Mine hit 199lbft, which is a bit higher than the link, although my peak was from a bump in the dyno curve around the 4500-5500rpm range.  That's around the top of the stock torque dip, so you might expect a decat manifold to perform better there.

Stock cars are about 160 bhp on the Dynapack at Abbey. Mine made about 170 bhp tuned but stock. Thing is, I bet that despite the headline figure the not being much higher, the torque curve due to the improved flow will be better. Either way, around 250whp on these is plenty quick and fun without becoming too much or requiring far greater grip to cope.

When I last saw @VAD17 in Bedford back in December the official fix for the cone filter neck breaking was to just use a shorter cone filter. 
@VAD17 makes subtle turbo sounds very OEM and power does feel progressive from the passenger seat. @MartinT Harrop setup looks incredibly OEM under the bonnet and makes it easy to tinker under the bonnet. 
As for what is better, I still can’t decide.

And then ill blow you away with the cosworth.

Id love to have a ride with you martin to see the difference, id also like to have a little pull next to yours and see what they are like against each other.

Just now, Rich196 said:

And then ill blow you away with the cosworth.

Id love to have a ride with you martin to see the difference, id also like to have a little pull next to yours and see what they are like against each other.

I would honestly pay to see all the main FI kits in a rolling race and drag race and then a 25k miles review on each.😂

5 minutes ago, MartinT said:

Hah - I don't make exaggerated claims for mine.  It's a well-sorted 300bhp car, for road use.  That's all 😀

Im only on baby pulley and stock mani, I have no idea what it makes I would go 260-270? Its never been dyno'd

Hence why I would like to have a rolling pull and just see what happens.

12 hours ago, Jay Bamrah said:

I would honestly pay to see all the main FI kits in a rolling race and drag race and then a 25k miles review on each.😂

:P Rather than paying them for a dragparison, just pay for a FI kit and enjoy the boost. :P  or you book a few of us with various kits at santapod and we will do it for you live :P 

3 hours ago, KevinA said:

Great thread, for me it's 350bhp stripped out and large soft tyres. Quite a handful but great fun.

What is your car running to get those numbers a built engine I guess and?