86-Rich

Bonnet alarm sensor

Hi guys took my car into Toyota for 60k service,3am this morning the alarms going off and looks like they knocked or moved the rubber cup under the bonnet for the sensor,it looks like they have tryed to stick it back on with a white sticky pad to hold it? Can someone confirm if it’s held on by a sticky pad or meant to be? 

FAE11DDE-B312-4DD5-9BDB-E64B3327B54F.jpeg

2 hours ago, Ignited said:

Mine is held on by a sticky pad.

I have had problems a few times when the bracket holding the switch gets moved and I have had to bend it back up a little.

2 hours ago, Ignited said:

Just stock so nope not really 😂 

1 hour ago, Kodename47 said:

If it helps, I've just cable tied the switch down so it never gets disturbed.... Can lock the car with the bonnet up without issue. Have you got anything under there worth stealing? ;) 

1 hour ago, Kodename47 said:

If it helps, I've just cable tied the switch down so it never gets disturbed.... Can lock the car with the bonnet up without issue. Have you got anything under there worth stealing? ;) 

I'm not sure if you're being serious or not but in case you are, that could invalidate your insurance. The car is a lot easier to steal (or even something like the wheels) with the battery disconnected and the alarm not going off...

I’m thinking maybe super glue that top rubber mount before it falls off,because I’m guessing if it falls off there’s then nothing to push on the switch and the alarm will just keep going,that sticky pad don’t look like it will last long 

1 hour ago, 86iain said:

B409A2F2-7C94-4202-B425-6D6C998DDCF2.jpeg

1 hour ago, Shad said:

I'm not sure if you're being serious or not but in case you are, that could invalidate your insurance. The car is a lot easier to steal (or even something like the wheels) with the battery disconnected and the alarm not going off...

Lifting the car would trigger the tilt sensor, the bonnet is pretty hard to open without getting to the pull handle in the cabin, which would trigger the internal sensors. Disconnecting the battery would set the alarm off. I did this so I could put a charger on the car, the battery going flat means that the alarm wouldn't go off anyway and is much easier to steal......

23 hours ago, 86-Rich said:

I’m thinking maybe super glue that top rubber mount before it falls off,because I’m guessing if it falls off there’s then nothing to push on the switch and the alarm will just keep going,that sticky pad don’t look like it will last long 

If you've got a deep enough clamp to hold it in place while it cures, I'd recommend an epoxy instead. Superglue is pretty weak on everything but fingers and plastic.

The adhesive pad is optimistic at best :/ unless its a high temp adhesive.

On 1/13/2021 at 9:00 AM, Kodename47 said:

Why didnt I think of that..... Make things easier at trackdays.

Hi guys took my car into Toyota for 60k service,3am this morning the alarms going off and looks like they knocked or moved the rubber cup under the bonnet for the sensor,it looks like they have tryed to stick it back on with a white sticky pad to hold it? Can someone confirm if it’s held on by a sticky pad or meant to be? 
FAE11DDE-B312-4DD5-9BDB-E64B3327B54F.thumb.jpeg.3548b0d5830d31e18c8cb39673883e59.jpeg

So that’s what the white pad is for! I bought mine when it was 2 years old and it never had the cup - just the white pad lol

Learn something new everyday.

I like the zip tie idea

Cheers guys this happened to me only but today on my 2017 GT86 ! Was looking for like 30 mins to see where this cup thing came from, in the engine bay. Lining up the cup to the sensor was a nightmare, I have glued the cup to the adhesive sticker with original Guerilla glue (apparently this can take 100degress of heat, I know engine bay gets very hot). If this does not work, and it falls off again I guess I’ll do the cable tie trick, my other thought was a small firm sponge material or something. Or some people were saying (in some other thread about engine heat) as gets hot in engine bay some epoxy as above also said, or window seal stuff that can take high heat. Not sure how well these epoxy and window seals glue though. It is silly a small sticky pad for this vital piece of plastic.