Shad

Modify the boot screen on your Kenwood or JVC head unit

I've just fitted a Kenwood DMX8020DABS and discovered you can modify the boot screen of the unit to give it a slightly more OEM appearance (sadly I don't think you can do much about the rest of the UI which is a bit less polished...). Here's the end result:

670955360_2021-01-1010_32_24.jpg.282bef8e87a7ad3c2e45418fc6e5d301.jpg

I followed the guide from here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgcVXVQIKrw

From reading around the comments there, their website, and elsewhere, it seems the head units are a bit tetchy about the image file used. To give me the best shot at success I used the provided image and updated that. If you use GIMP you can create an image that's for all intents and purposes the same so it ought to work too. I've attached the files I used to make it a simple process for any other users. Should work for any recent DDX/DMX Kenwood units and the JVCs too, just follow the advice in the spreadsheets linked in the video description. The only negative is the boot image isn't shown on the display for quite as long as the default. Not sure why, seems normal, and I doubt it's fixable. Still, happy with the result:

If anyone knows of other customisation options (like disabling the warning message) let me know! Has anyone else done this mod?

Customisation files used:

OpeningCustomize.txt

image1.bmp

Hi Shad, I've been discussing wireless Android Auto head units on the other forum. In doing that, I found the DMX8020DABS and now I'm looking at one as a potential upgrade. How are you finding the head unit in general...easy to install, use, etc? I'm keen to get wireless Android Auto and was looking at the Kenwood DDX919WS as its a perfect fit for our cars, but it's not available in the UK so would need to be ordered from Malayasia. But the DMX8020 looks available in the UK and going by your photo, fits nice with a fascia adapter there. 

Also...this has a capacitive touch screen am I right? Currently have a Pioneer unit with a resistive touch screen which isn't great if I'm honest. The Kenwood screens do seem superior. 

Hi Shad, I've been discussing wireless Android Auto head units on the other forum. In doing that, I found the DMX8020DABS and now I'm looking at one as a potential upgrade. How are you finding the head unit in general...easy to install, use, etc? I'm keen to get wireless Android Auto and was looking at the Kenwood DDX919WS as its a perfect fit for our cars, but it's not available in the UK so would need to be ordered from Malayasia. But the DMX8020 looks available in the UK and going by your photo, fits nice with a fascia adapter there. 
Also...this has a capacitive touch screen am I right? Currently have a Pioneer unit with a resistive touch screen which isn't great if I'm honest. The Kenwood screens do seem superior. 
Hi Dave, DDX919 afaik is only wired AA not wireless, so worth double checking. Just wireless phone mirroring.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

59 minutes ago, BRZ-123 said:

Hi Dave, DDX919 afaik is only wired AA not wireless, so worth double checking. Just wireless phone mirroring.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Going by the videos I've watched, the DDX919WS is indeed wireless (long video here: 

However, as it needs to be imported from abroad, I've now ordered the DMX8020DABS, same as Shad. It doesn't look like quite the perfect fit that the DDX unit is, however, it looks nice and neat in his photo above, so I'm happy with that. 

Hi Conscript, congrats on the 8020 purchase, I'm sure you'll enjoy it especially if you're coming from the stock head unit as I was. With the right fascia adapter (I used Connects2 CT23SU07 from Dynamic Sounds) and a bit of time and fettling you'll get a great fit. I was disappointed about not being able to get the WS unit here in the UK and didn't fancy risking buying one from overseas.

On the unit itself - the screen is capacitive and very sensitive, and the important physical volume buttons work very well. Wireless AA works very well with my OnePlus 5T although I've only used it when using navigation so far. I have a small USB stick for music in the glovebox. The Google Assistant works great or as well as it usually does with AA! I've positioned the microphone on the head lining just to the drivers side of the mirror which is usually fine but you have to raise your voice a bit if you're at speed because of the road noise in the car.

The UI of the headunit is a little dated compared to AA but it's functional and once you learn your way around it's fine. If you do listen to music on a USB stick and like to shuffle the whole thing then there's a bug in the software to be aware of. When you start the head unit after listening to tracks on random, the next track it plays will be the next track in its predecessors album, rather than an actual random next track. It sorts itself out after that, and you can skip to next as well. A very minor grievance on an otherwise excellent system.

These are all of the parts I used for my install:

1444832333_Screenshot2021-03-29at08_32_47.png.bad904f9023b1c2b67718be0136cade1.png

Post or PM if you have any other questions...

Cheers Shad. I actually found your other thread where you listed the parts you'd bought, so I've ordered the same fascia adapter as well.

I actually already have an aftermarket head unit (Pioneer DAB unit), but I really wanted wireless Android Auto (for music as well). I think the ISO harness that came with that should work, and I also have a DAB aerial and mic already installed (and I think the aerial and USB adapter), so I'm hoping I can just swap the head unit itself out. If I need any other bits, I'll order them after the head unit arrives. 

Glad to hear the screen is better, as that's one of my gripes about the Pioneer unit I have. The UI in the Pioneer isn't fantastic either (better than OEM), so as long as the Kenwood is "as good" then I will be happy, especially if the screen is more responsive. 

I have a modern and fairly common Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S10), so as long as the Android Auto works okay, I will be happy. I really just want a no-nonsense solution where I can get in the car with my phone in my pocket, and have the head unit access Spotify, Maps, Audible, etc, all without me having to faff with plugging the phone in or even getting it out of my pocket. I found from experience with my girlfriend's car that Android Auto is fantastic....but because it has to be plugged in to work in her car (OEM Kia), then I never go to the bother of using it unless it's a long journey. 

The only thing with the Samsungs I'm aware of is there was a recent update to their flavour of Android (One UI I think?) which caused some issues. Have a look at r/androidauto on Reddit for any kind of issues like that. Usually it's on the handset side of things rather than the head unit/vehicle.

Wireless AA does use a fair chunk of power especially if you're navigating, so don't bin that USB cable just yet ;)

1 hour ago, Shad said:

The only thing with the Samsungs I'm aware of is there was a recent update to their flavour of Android (One UI I think?) which caused some issues. Have a look at r/androidauto on Reddit for any kind of issues like that. Usually it's on the handset side of things rather than the head unit/vehicle.

Wireless AA does use a fair chunk of power especially if you're navigating, so don't bin that USB cable just yet ;)

Bugger. I'd hoped a flagship phone would be the one least likely to have issues.

Yes, at the moment I have a magnetic fast charging wireless phone holder, so I can jut plop the phone on it, and it charges, and it's sitting in front of me if I need to use the map. My intention is to either bin that (or modify it), so that instead I have a wireless charging pad under the arm rest, with a 12v fast charger. So if I'm just popping to the shops, I can leave my phone in my pocket while still using AA, but if it's a longer journey, I can stick the phone on charge safely stowed away under the arm rest, with no wires trailing to the head unit :)

One question you might be able to answer for me...does this unit have the ability to adjust the volume automatically based on the vehicle speed? I understand that the Kenwood units do have a Vehicle Speed Sensor pickup wire, and that it's needed if you use Apple Car Play. I don't need that, but I can't seem to confirm if the VSS wire will also allow the unit to boost volume to account for increasing road noise. It's another feature that seems to be missing from most aftermarket HUs - but our cars are pretty noisy when you get up to speed, and I hate having to fiddle with the volume regularly. For all it's faults, it's the one area where the stock unit is actually better, as it had automatic volume adjustment.

Sorry, to be clear I believe the last I saw Samsung had fixed the One UI issue, so you ought to be ok now.

The automatic volume adjustment - you're right, it does not work unfortunately. I've also wired that up but it does nothing. Probably only a firmware update needed to enable it but having looked through said firmware trying to find other customisation hooks it's fairly complicated. I don't find myself adjusting the volume too much, unless I've been at speed and needed it turned up. But having not been able to drive much lately it hasn't really been an issue!

My unit arrived today. Spent my lunch break getting it set up basically, just to get power to it and take a look. This evening after work I will spend some time getting it properly fitted and make sure everything is neat and tidy. Pleased so far though :D

@Shad - another question for you (sorry)...did you plug in the GPS antennae when you installed yours? It comes with it, but as far as I can tell, the unit doesn't have maps preinstalled...I didn't bother plugging it in yet, but navigation seems work work through Google Maps on AA fine. The only thing I can see it being needed for is the clock syncing and the compass widget. TO be honest, I'd rather not have to have an ugly GPS block sitting on the dash if I can avoid it. 

Congrats! Make sure you use plenty of loom tape on the wires to as not to create any more rattles :)

I connected the GPS antenna and fitted it inside the dash just above the stereo. In the BRZ there's a little box on a bracket in there to do with the alarm and it fitted along side that nicely. It only has plastic and glass above it so the signal is good. My understanding is that the antenna is used when navigating to save power on the phone, so I think it's worth hooking it up especially since it can be hidden away inside the dash.

Yeah, I am going to neaten it all up later, try and tape everything that's needed away neatly and make sure nothing is rattling around. If that's the case, I'll plug the GPS in at the same time then. 

Initial impressions are good, though. Screen is nice and responsive, and once I'd grounded the handbrake wire, Android Auto setup was a breeze. The mounting bracket doesn't fit fantastically, but it might just need a little fettling. 

3 minutes ago, Conscript said:

The mounting bracket doesn't fit fantastically, but it might just need a little fettling. 

Yeah it's not the best, but I think the end result is better than the version with two separate halves. I spent a considerable amount of time fettling the metal brackets on mine with a dremel, loads of test fits etc. You'll get there with it.

Getting back onto the topic of the actual start up screen, I've had a go at making one for myself. I wanted one in the same style as the OP, but with the Toyota logo instead of Subaru.

However, I then decided to add a little bit of flair. I just did a google search for "GT86 silhouette" and found a a beautiful outline image of the car posted by someone on Reddit years ago (so please, all credit to them as the original artist). I then also just searched for the Toyota logo on a black background and hey presto, manage to make what I think is a nice bootup screen :)

Hard to take a photo of it in car due to the amount of glare, so I've attached the files here as well as .bmp images, if anyone wants to use them. You can just use them with @Shad's .txt file, just ensure the image is named "image1.bmp" on the USB stick.

I believe this unit also supports custom wallpapers, so I might see if I can use the silhouette there as well.

20210403_124252.jpg

image1-logo only.bmp

image1.bmp

On 4/3/2021 at 12:48 PM, Conscript said:

Getting back onto the topic of the actual start up screen, I've had a go at making one for myself. I wanted one in the same style as the OP, but with the Toyota logo instead of Subaru.

However, I then decided to add a little bit of flair. I just did a google search for "GT86 silhouette" and found a a beautiful outline image of the car posted by someone on Reddit years ago (so please, all credit to them as the original artist). I then also just searched for the Toyota logo on a black background and hey presto, manage to make what I think is a nice bootup screen :)

Hard to take a photo of it in car due to the amount of glare, so I've attached the files here as well as .bmp images, if anyone wants to use them. You can just use them with @Shad's .txt file, just ensure the image is named "image1.bmp" on the USB stick.

I believe this unit also supports custom wallpapers, so I might see if I can use the silhouette there as well.

20210403_124252.jpg

image1-logo only.bmp

image1.bmp

Just used this fo mine.

works perfectly thanks guys👍