Jay Bamrah

BRZ mud guard

Hey, I have had my BRZ for a month now and have noticed the tyres in comparison to my last car (vw golf) spit loads of road debris on the side of the car, so much I can wash it and one drive later the doors are covered.

my main fear is long term scratches from small rough road debris ruining the paint on the side of the car.

does anyone recommend any mud guard/flap to look at? I’m thinking once I get side skirts front lip etc they won’t look like they stick out the side of the car so much as they will kind of stick out  as much as the side skirts if that makes sense.

any ideas are helpful thanks guys :)

Hmm, my thoughts on mudguards ..

Stock are cheap and look good on car, but i'm slightly worried, that such plastic mudguards can be easily brake. Should be easy to buy at any toyota/subaru dealership, or if you find part numbers, order online wherever cheapest. IIRC there might be different ones for restyle & prerestyle, due different rear bumper, but not sure. And it may differ between gt86 and brz.

I have rally armor ones .. look good .. but i hate one bit .. their construction includes aluminium bracket, that sits a bit below bumper bottom. So it's easy to bend/break off those brackets if you eg. park near kerb in reverse with wheels till stop. Needed to rebolt back few times due that.

IIRC rokblokz mudflaps don't have such bracket, simply stiffer rubber part, and they also have shortened version for lowered cars. I don't have own experience with these though.

1 minute ago, Church said:

Stock are cheap and look good on car, but i'm slightly worried, that such plastic mudguards can be easily brake. Should be easy to buy at any toyota/subaru dealership, or if you find part numbers, order online wherever cheapest. IIRC there might be different ones for restyle & prerestyle, due different rear bumper, but not sure. And it may differ between gt86 and brz.

I have rally armor ones .. look good .. but i hate one bit .. their construction includes aluminium bracket, that sits a bit below bumper bottom. So it's easy to bend/break off those brackets if you eg. park near kerb in reverse with wheels till stop. Needed to rebolt back few times due that.

IIRC rokblokz mudflaps don't have such bracket, simply stiffer rubber part, and they also have shortened version for lowered cars. I don't have own experience with these though.

Thankyou bro I’ma go look into them both

I looked upon car .. mine are covered with dirty snow & ice .. certainly no sense in posting any "close-up" pics.

Quick search turned up DIY install vid of rallyarmor ones.

But as i noted before, i didn't like those brackets being below bumper. I guess if i'd were to choose again, i'd first try rockblokz ones due that reason. Certainly not pleasant to get screwdriver out and fix back detached, when i had reversed against kerb, flaps covered with dirt.

Agree with @jw191, I have the OEM ones on mine too, they're discreet and effective.  No idea why they weren't fitted as standard.  You can get them direct from Toyota through eBay, or cheaper assuming these are genuine as it says on the listing:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Toyota-GT86-2012-15-Mudflaps-4-Front-And-Rear-Mud-Flaps-Pu060-18013-P1/360772270319

Just now, spikyone said:

Agree with @jw191, I have the OEM ones on mine too, they're discreet and effective.  No idea why they weren't fitted as standard.  You can get them direct from Toyota through eBay, or cheaper assuming these are genuine as it says on the listing:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Toyota-GT86-2012-15-Mudflaps-4-Front-And-Rear-Mud-Flaps-Pu060-18013-P1/360772270319

Can you when you have time send some close up shots of them on your car I would really appreciate it thanks!

9 minutes ago, Jay Bamrah said:

Can you when you have time send some close up shots of them on your car I would really appreciate it thanks!

Yeah, no worries, will get some pics when I can - might be tomorrow.  I haven't forgotten about offering you a ride out in it at some point too, I didn't travel at all over Christmas and obviously we're in lockdown, but if you're still interested we can arrange something when lockdown eases.

9 minutes ago, spikyone said:

Yeah, no worries, will get some pics when I can - might be tomorrow.  I haven't forgotten about offering you a ride out in it at some point too, I didn't travel at all over Christmas and obviously we're in lockdown, but if you're still interested we can arrange something when lockdown eases.

I was upset I thought I missed my chance😂 send me a message here or PM and il be free whenever you are around!

19 hours ago, gavin_t said:

Wait until you fit bigger wheels, crud everywhere :lol: . I was thinking of getting some PPF film on the rear arches at one point

Is there no real solution? My fear is small stones will make long scratches down the side or my car 

4 hours ago, Jay Bamrah said:

Is there no real solution? My fear is small stones will make long scratches down the side or my car 

I haven't got any long scratches just a few chips.

Mainly down to the Toyota paint been a bit thin and fragile. Plus I think some of mine are down to track days etc and debris flicking up.

No, it's rather modern car paint in general is not durable, when regulations made all makers to change to use paint w/o lead IIRC. +Wish of some for grippier tires or "spaced flush". Both those factors also are good ways to gain extra chips, as sticky tires pick up LOT of debris and obviously later also increases scratches.

I had a similar problem of small stones chipping the inside edge of the rear wheel archs so bought the OEM mud flaps to fix the problem, like others have said they should have come on the car from factory as besides being functional they also look great imo!

Added some photos of them installed on my car, no real close ups for you unfortunately but being black on red it might give you a better feel.

Do be aware that if you want to install a body kit/side skirts in the future these might make it hard/impossible to find a kit that will fit as the OEM mud flaps wrap round the body on the front and bumper on the rear which you can see in the second photo I put up.  

car.jpg

car2.jpg

On 1/10/2021 at 7:37 AM, Church said:

Stock are cheap and look good on car, but i'm slightly worried, that such plastic mudguards can be easily brake. Should be easy to buy at any toyota/subaru dealership, or if you find part numbers, order online wherever cheapest.

I ordered mudguards with my car 8 years ago. I can tell you the stock mudguards are super tough and have lasted very well despite being caught on kerbs etcetera. 

Lauren: thanks for sharing experience. I initially wanted stock ones, but that worry kept me off, hence why i thought that going for flexible flaps should "fix" that potential worry

2 hours ago, Shad said:

Has anybody painted their stock mudflaps body colour so they blend in a bit better?

Not worth it, IMHO, they'd probably stand out more if they were painted.  Even on the red car that @Lordyboi posted they're barely noticeable, they're a similar colour to the tyre or the inside of the wheelarch, depending on what angle you're looking at them from.  And the inside of them gets covered in crap from the road so if you have a lighter coloured car that crap will be noticeable and you'll end up repeatedly cleaning them.

@Jay Bamrah Here's the photos of mine:

FRONT:

OY9ypEI.jpg

cfZvIbq.jpg

REAR:

l0mM82T.jpg

WW8QmJT.jpg

And lastly, looking along the side at ground level:

280JeXx.jpg

A lot of the 'dirt' you can see is just raindrops.  You can see from the photos looking inside that they're pretty effective at catching a lot of the stuff that gets thrown up off the road.

13 minutes ago, spikyone said:

Not worth it, IMHO, they'd probably stand out more if they were painted.  Even on the red car that @Lordyboi posted they're barely noticeable, they're a similar colour to the tyre or the inside of the wheelarch, depending on what angle you're looking at them from.  And the inside of them gets covered in crap from the road so if you have a lighter coloured car that crap will be noticeable and you'll end up repeatedly cleaning them.

@Jay Bamrah Here's the photos of mine:

FRONT:

OY9ypEI.jpg

cfZvIbq.jpg

REAR:

l0mM82T.jpg

WW8QmJT.jpg

And lastly, looking along the side at ground level:

280JeXx.jpg

A lot of the 'dirt' you can see is just raindrops.  You can see from the photos looking inside that they're pretty effective at catching a lot of the stuff that gets thrown up off the road.

Oh yeah I see what u mean thanks!