gavin_t

Oil coolers / baffled sumps

12 minutes ago, gavin_t said:

Shame they have an 82' thermostat otherwise those angled ones would have been ideal.

@will300 do you manage to run the standard fittings with an OEM box? My only reason for going banjo fitting was for clearance issues.

Will has an intake. I ran the kit with the stock box. We just heated the box up and bent it out of the way.

Cheers all.

I have been in touch with a few of the tuners. After speaking with Mike @ TD their kit seems by far the most cost effective and Mike assures me it will fit with the stock air box even if a little tight.

Anyone using their kit and can share some feedback? @VAD17 do you have it on your car?

My only reservation about this kit is the 80'C thermostat, would rather a higher one.

Other then that I am tempted to build my own from Setrab and Mocal parts online.

I used stock air box before going FI, but I've got oil cooler at the same time as TD turbo kit. Sorry can't be more helpful, but by the look of it I think it should be fine.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

@VAD17 cheers for the info.

If anyone has any pictures of their TD cooler fitted that would be great.  :D

I have been chatting with a few knowledgeable people online and think I am going to go with the TD kit.

Reasonable price, fits with the OEM air box (even if a little snug) and appears to not cause issues with over cooling.

@will300 Thanks, at least that highlights to me the bit I may need to modify :)

If anyone has any pictures of the cooler itself fitted that would be grand, just to see how they are been mounted to the plastic under tray

Thanks

4 hours ago, gavin_t said:

@will300 Thanks, at least that highlights to me the bit I may need to modify :)

If anyone has any pictures of the cooler itself fitted that would be grand, just to see how they are been mounted to the plastic under tray

Thanks

You don't want to mount it to the plastic under tray. If you go off on track and pull the bumper off....

[mention=247]will300[/mention] Thanks, at least that highlights to me the bit I may need to modify

Thanks
Mine was fouling the stock airbox very slightly, so used some heat proof exhaust pad (usually made for motorbike exhausts) stuck to the airbox against the oil cooler line and its been fine. The thermostat hex thing corner was against another pipe too, although not common and Mike sorted that out quickly. Would recommend TD oil cooler kit overall, just don't need to worry now about track temps

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, Deacon said:

You don't want to mount it to the plastic under tray. If you go off on track and pull the bumper off....

didn't think about that. Was just going on how Mike fits them, what have you guys mounted yours to?

@willclarke thanks for the info. Good to hear of some first hand experience of them, Do you know what your oil cooler is mounted to?

2 hours ago, gavin_t said:

didn't think about that. Was just going on how Mike fits them, what have you guys mounted yours to?

@willclarke thanks for the info. Good to hear of some first hand experience of them, Do you know what your oil cooler is mounted to?

Crash beam is the best place - figuring if it's an accident that smashes into the crash beam the oil cooler leasing is probably going to be the least of your worries!

Mine and Wills are fixed to the crash beam and supported with riser blocks on the undertray. Without the blocks would be safest but then they give a little extra support so 🤷🏼‍♂️

22 hours ago, Deacon said:

Crash beam is the best place - figuring if it's an accident that smashes into the crash beam the oil cooler leasing is probably going to be the least of your worries!

Mine and Wills are fixed to the crash beam and supported with riser blocks on the undertray. Without the blocks would be safest but then they give a little extra support so 🤷🏼‍♂️

@DeaconCheers for the info. Yer if something is smashing the crash beam I don't care too much if the cooler disappears as you say....

Are there any pictures of yours and the mounting in your build thread? Work PC doesn't show pictures -_- but I can check on my phone later tonight.

What are raiser blocks? Looks like the TD kit doesn't come with any brackets etc only bolts for mounting to the plastic tray.

I am sure this is something that I could source separately though as I assume all oil coolers would attach the same regardless of brand.

37 minutes ago, gavin_t said:

I assume all oil coolers would attach the same regardless of brand.

They are all slightly different. I think most mount behind the fog lights but my Mishimoto is dead centre below the numberplate without any spacer/riser blocks.

Mine has a bracket to attach to the crash bar then there are 4x self tapping screws to fix the bottom to the plastic tray.

Some would say thats a bad Idea, but in almost 20 years of track days I’ve never come off and lost an under tray or a bumper.

23 hours ago, Leeky said:

They are all slightly different. I think most mount behind the fog lights but my Mishimoto is dead centre below the numberplate without any spacer/riser blocks.

Mine has a bracket to attach to the crash bar then there are 4x self tapping screws to fix the bottom to the plastic tray.

Some would say thats a bad Idea, but in almost 20 years of track days I’ve never come off and lost an under tray or a bumper.

Wouldn't happen to have any pictures?

I assume its just an L shaped bracket that allows it to mount to the crash panel?

Hi,

I have the HKS cooler kit installed. Added fotos. I’m a bit confused over what adapters I should use to install a Inovative MTX-D Oil pressure/ temp gauge.

anyone have any info on this ?

thanks

F21DA57A-A5D5-4E53-9D97-B2ACC0302D6A.jpeg

BF5DAEA0-8B29-4D3B-A7B6-24AE4ECCF180.jpeg

Hey, I have come across to this thread bc I will be installing an oil cooler in my my+17 so I will have this clearance issues with the stock airbox with most of the kits

I saw this kit which includes a HEL plate:

https://www.fensport.co.uk/collections/toyota-gt86-2012-to-2016/products/hel-oil-cooler-kit-13-row-gt86-brz

But I believe it would have the same problem as the MOCAL, do you have any reference from this one?

Also note that I want to avoid Mishimoto bc I read bad things about those banjo fittings.  Otherwise I would maybe order this kit from this German place

https://www.buddeautomobile.de/toyota-gt86/

They have their own plate with tilted up fittings so there are no clearance issues