gavin_t

Reyland brake kit

A little off topic but I’m curious, do these brakes tend to seize on when the cars been parked for a while after rain or a pressure wash? 
The OEM sliding calipers are always doing this on mine especially if the car doesn’t move for a day or two.

1 hour ago, maurice said:

They do, same as OEM.

Top marks for trying to justify a BBK to yourself by that issue though. 😁

Well I thought it was worth a shot. 😂 

I left my car last winter for ~2 months and the brakes didn't stick at all...

They have stuck previously and held the car on a sloped drive way. Hopefully this is small enough that you don't really read it and only the sentence above and makes you get the BBK!

On the subject of brake pads I was all set for ordering PFC 08 however the reply I got from Mark at Abbey was suggesting I was going for something too aggressive and they wouldn't be suitable for the road.
Anyone care to pass comment on their road manners?

I can't really add anything other than what I've previously said. 

I wouldn't say they were too aggressive thought. Only thing I can't really comment on is disc life with them. 

4 hours ago, gavin_t said:

On the subject of brake pads I was all set for ordering PFC 08 however the reply I got from Mark at Abbey was suggesting I was going for something too aggressive and they wouldn't be suitable for the road.
Anyone care to pass comment on their road manners?

Out of interest what did he recommend instead? 

17 hours ago, Shippers said:

Out of interest what did he recommend instead? 

Carbontec AX6 was what he was recommending.

I might stick to my guns and go with PFC 08 as there are many happy people using them

4 hours ago, MartinT said:

I have found PFC Z rated really good for road use.

Sent from my LG-G7 using Tapatalk

Cant comment on them in the AP kit but I hated mine on stock brakes. Went in the bin after less then 1000 miles -_-

4 hours ago, gavin_t said:

Cant comment on them in the AP kit but I hated mine on stock brakes. Went in the bin after less then 1000 miles -_-

What didn't you like about them?

I don't have a BBK but I did replace the front discs with something better.  Braking seems better than stock (I also have Cosworth Streetmasters on the rears).

19 hours ago, MartinT said:

What didn't you like about them?

I don't have a BBK but I did replace the front discs with something better.  Braking seems better than stock (I also have Cosworth Streetmasters on the rears).

Initially they felt the same as stock which was nice. But after a few heat cycles on track they seemed to loose all of their bite and become very wooden, tried to de glaze them but the feel never came back so binned them for something else. I put them on with new disks too so they shouldn't have had a problem.

22 hours ago, MartinT said:

Thanks.  They're probably not a good choice for track use, then, whereas they're good for road use where deep heat cycles are nowhere near as punishing.

For sure if you can retain their box fresh feel they will be fine. Seemed to hardly wear, were silent and virtually dust free so better then oem for the road.

On 1/8/2021 at 10:03 AM, Rich196 said:

Interesting! I might have seen a bit of this when not used HARD for a while but Iv never run my finger over it to feel, I assumed this was down to be running a pretty aggressive pad. Ill keep and eye out, I have only put a small grove in my discs when running my pads to low and the hangers were contacting the disc.

Do we know what pad he was using, and if he tried changing the pad to resolve this, as isnt pad deposits usual due to compound and what kind of temperature window you use them in?

I was running Ferodo DS2500 at the time (the standard pads that come with the kit - hated them with a passion), the discs had seen approx. 8 track days at that point IIRC. I wouldn’t say that the DS2500 is a particularly aggressive pad, in fact I would say they were far too mild for my liking.

Now switched to PMu HC+ but haven’t tracked the car enough (due to lockdown) to tell if the compound has made a difference. That said, they are excellent pads for pure road use but not aggressive enough on track - I have ordered a set of Endless ME20 which will be going on as soon as the PMus wear down.

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2021 at 9:33 AM, 3782mc said:

I was running Ferodo DS2500 at the time (the standard pads that come with the kit - hated them with a passion), the discs had seen approx. 8 track days at that point IIRC. I wouldn’t say that the DS2500 is a particularly aggressive pad, in fact I would say they were far too mild for my liking.

Now switched to PMu HC+ but haven’t tracked the car enough (due to lockdown) to tell if the compound has made a difference. That said, they are excellent pads for pure road use but not aggressive enough on track - I have ordered a set of Endless ME20 which will be going on as soon as the PMus wear down.

Some good info, confirms my hunch that I should avoid the DS2500 that comes as standard and spec something else.

Interesting people don't like the 2500's I ran these on sprints and found them fine, too aggressive and you find ABS cutting in a lot. Road use I do very little of so no feedback there I'm afraid.

I find them fine aswell. Overheated them once in a BBK but was an overly long hot session and I was risking it.

They get a lot of bad press online from people who drive them with heavier cars.

This might sound an odd point, but the build quality of the pad itself is better than all others I've tried. I used to have to file the backing plates of EBC and Carbotech pads down so they weren't a tight fit in the caliper but these DS2500's slot in beautifully!

4 hours ago, maurice said:

I find them fine aswell. Overheated them once in a BBK but was an overly long hot session and I was risking it.

They get a lot of bad press online from people who drive them with heavier cars.

This might sound an odd point, but the build quality of the pad itself is better than all others I've tried. I used to have to file the backing plates of EBC and Carbotech pads down so they weren't a tight fit in the caliper but these DS2500's slot in beautifully!

I do agree with that point they seem to have a good backing plate and seem well finished. I have to file loads off the PFC pads I had to get them to fit comfortable and as you say these slot straight in.

Kind of tempted to just order the complete kit from Reyland with these just to get me started. Its only the fact I didn't like the feel of them in the OEM 86 callipers that is putting me off.

On 1/29/2021 at 7:49 AM, KevinA said:

Interesting people don't like the 2500's I ran these on sprints and found them fine, too aggressive and you find ABS cutting in a lot. Road use I do very little of so no feedback there I'm afraid.

I loved the DS2500's as well. Never faded, lasted 45,000 miles. Did everything, was very happy with them.