gavin_t

Reyland brake kit

So I am 90% sure I am going to go for this brake kit unless something else pops up. 

Just finalising some of the options and wanted to ask opinions and gain some feedback:

What pads are people running. I see they come supplied with ds2500 but didn't know if it was worth asking for something different? I have mixed feelings on the ds2500 from past use....

I have heard rumors of problems with the supplied braided lines. Is this widespread? Also do they come with the tab to mount them to the suspension strut? Wondered if was worth buying these separately. 

Any recommendations on what pattern to get for the disks? Was thinking "c hook" but didn't know if some were noisier then others or were preferable. I was just going to spec the normal Reyland own discs.

Also red or black for an orange car? I'm swaying to black....

FB_IMG_1609076289735.jpg

Having not long bought mine I can answer a few of these.

You can have them with different pads (Reyland have a few alternatives but I couldn't say what as they didn't have PFC and that's what I wanted) or with no pads (what I did).

@will300 has been running these longest and hasn't had any hose problems as far as I'm aware. They fitted on mine with no issues mounting as they should.

I've got J hook and not noticed any difference in noise. One of the big advantages of having the genuine AP discs was that they have curved internal veins. The downside is they're quite a bit more expensive. However, Reyland now offer this with their discs (it was an extra £50) when I bought mine and so seemed like a no brainer to me.

Definitely black with Ginger. Red would look odd imo

Assuming your going for the 330mm kit with CP9200 calipers, there is massive amount of choice when it comes to pads. 

Here are the pads I've used:

Ferrodo DS2500 - Good pad, outstanding life but lacked feel and abit lacking when cold on daily use.

Endless MX72 - Excellent daily pad, will stand up to very light track work. I managed to over heated them on track so decided to switch back to the Ferrodo, before fitting the PFC 08's.

PFC 08 - Best pad I've tried so far and the pad I'm currently using, excellent daily charactistics (works when cold), and has much better feel compare the the Ferrodo and has the best bite. It will last easily last for a 1hour session, being an endurance pad it should last even longer than 1 hour but I've not been out for longer than an hour.

As for brake lines, I'm using the ones my kit came with which I got nearly 5 years ago and they're still ok. You should be able to use any lines for the GT86 and it's just a standard banjo fitting on the caliper, atleast I'm 99% sure it is. 

With regards to discs, I went for the genuine AP Racing ones as originally Reyland used remanufactured disc and the AP Racing discs had better internal cooling vains.

As for the face type I'd recommend you go for straight groved, I'm aware of a few people that have had some issues with the Reyland J hook discs, @3782mc being one.

Here's a list of all the available pad choices for the CP9200 caliper, that I can think of:

Carbon Lorraine:  
Part No: 5004W50T17
Compounds Available: RC5+, RC6, RC6E, RC8, RC8R
Approx Price: £210
Available from: https://www.kamracing.co.uk/manufacturers/cl-brakes/cl-brakes-browse-by-caliper/ap-racing/ap-racing-5200-caliper-cp3215-d50-pads-cl-brakes-race-brake-pads.html

EBC:
Part No: Various
Compounds Available: Bluestuff, Orangestuff, Yellowstuff, RP-1, RP-X
Approx Price: £90
Available from: https://ebcbrakesdirect.com/race-caliper-parts/ap-racing/cp9200/24000159

Endless:
Part No: RCP015
Compounds Available: MX72, MX72 Plus, ME20, ME22, CC-Rg, CC43, M-Sport
Approx Price: £200
Available from: https://www.nengun.com/endless/

Ferodo:
Part No: FRP216
Compounds Available: DS2500, DS3000, DS1.11, DSUNO
Approx Price: £150
Available from: https://www.kamracing.co.uk/manufacturers/ferodo/ap-racing-caliper/ap-racing-5200-caliper-cp3215-d50-pads-ferodo-race-brake-pads.html

Mintex: 
Part No: MDB1292
Compounds Available: M1144, M1155, M1166
Approx Price: £102
Available from: https://www.kamracing.co.uk/manufacturers/mintex/ap-racing-calipers-mintex/ap-racing-5200-caliper-cp3215-d50-pads-mintex-race-brake-pads.html

Pagid Racing:
Part No: 1361
Compounds Available: RSL1, RSL29, RST1, RST2, RST3 ,RST4, RST5, RS14, RSH42
Approx Price: £102
Available from: https://www.clutchstop.co.uk/products/pagid-e1361-rs29-brake-pads.html

PBS:
Part No: 8223PR
Compounds Available: ProRace
Approx Price: £130
Available from: https://www.tegiwaimports.com/brands/pbs/pbs-prorace-brake-pads-ap-racing-caliper-cp5200-cp3215-d50.html

Performance Friction (PFC):
Part No: 7767
Compounds Available: Z-Rated, 08, 11
Available from: https://www.part-box.com/pfc-7767-z-rated-brake-pad-set-7767-10?search=pfc 7767&description=true

Project Mu:
Part No: F1076
Compounds Available: Type PS, HC-CS, HC+, R777, R999
Available from: https://www.rhdjapan.com/search/?q=F1076

Winmax:
Part No: WMP814-17
Compounds Available: W3, W4, W5, W6.5, WN3
Approx Price: £235
Available from: https://www.kamracing.co.uk/manufacturers/winmax-brakes/ap-racing-calipers-winmax/ap-racing-5200-caliper-cp3215-d50-pads-winmax-brake-pads.html

Hope that helps.

p.s. Go for Red calipers, why buy a big brake kit if not to show it off?

If it was my ginger I’d go with red calipers and black disc hats. However you said you were also going to change wheels so I’d just check that the colour combo looks good for you.

1 hour ago, choupolo said:

What problem did @3782mc have with the J hook grooves?

Thanks for the list of pads, very useful.

Second that? @will300 can you elaborate?

I have the Reyland kit, with Reyland J hook discs, and I don't believe I have had an issues, but I would be interested to know.

@Deacon does this mean Reyland do their own disc with curved veins now?

While we are on the topic of discs, I went with floating. If I was to do it again I wouldn't, at low town speed they rattle, even with anti rattle shims, but hey race car right?🙄

Braided lines, I choose to fit goodridge ones I had kicking around and not the ones that came with the Reyland kit this was only down to the fact the Reyland lines had no mounting bracket that goes on to the bottom of the shock, no other reason.

Overall I am very happy with the kit, simple to fit, and has resolved the issue of getting through discs and pads at a silly rate doing track days on the OEM callipers.

2 hours ago, choupolo said:

What problem did @3782mc have with the J hook grooves?

Thanks for the list of pads, very useful.

Interesting! I might have seen a bit of this when not used HARD for a while but Iv never run my finger over it to feel, I assumed this was down to be running a pretty aggressive pad. Ill keep and eye out, I have only put a small grove in my discs when running my pads to low and the hangers were contacting the disc.

Do we know what pad he was using, and if he tried changing the pad to resolve this, as isnt pad deposits usual due to compound and what kind of temperature window you use them in?

3 minutes ago, Deacon said:

It does

Ah nice! Thanks for highlighting this, I shall bare it in mine when I need new ones!

Good amount of information and replies thanks peeps.

I am currently in talks with Mark at abbey regarding some other work for my car so enquired about the reyland brakes and he mentioned he can supply direct so I think I may as well go via them for ease of not having to self fit and I wouldn't need to be home to arrange a delivery etc.

Mark was recommending supplying carbon tech AX6 pads with the kit.

I don't like the feel of the DS2500 in my OEM callipers so would probably avoid in the new kit for this reason in case it taints them with a bad feel.

For the sake of £50 I will keep with the reyland disks but spec the curved veins if possible. I was swaying to J hook but maybe grooved would be better to be safe. @will300 are the grooved discs noisy? I used to have some stoptech grooved disks it the past and they made a racket :unsure:

@Rich196 reyland website suggests they have improved their floating design now to eliminate this. Don't think I need to upgrade further at present anyway from the normal disks.

As their lines don't have the shock mounting that was my worry that they wouldn't be secure etc. Although if others have not encounter issues maybe I am over thinking things.

PS I know people have said red but I think I am going to side with @deacon with black.

Also are the brakes ok with clearance on an et35 18x8 wheel? As I may also be changing to a set of protrack wheels soon to save some unsprung mass....

Thanks again all

53 minutes ago, gavin_t said:

As their lines don't have the shock mounting that was my worry that they wouldn't be secure etc. Although if others have not encounter issues maybe I am over thinking things.

Mine are fastened to the suspension at the bottom.

Probably worth mentioning a few people have had scraping issues with Reyland's own discs on track after they heat up. Seems they might expand more than say AP discs.

From what I've heard they take bog standard OEM discs from other cars and machine them down. 

The kit comes with the correct tabs to mount the lines to the shock absorber body.

1 hour ago, gavin_t said:

Mark was recommending supplying carbon tech AX6 pads with the kit.

For the sake of £50 I will keep with the reyland disks but spec the curved veins if possible. I was swaying to J hook but maybe grooved would be better to be safe. @will300 are the grooved discs noisy? I used to have some stoptech grooved disks it the past and they made a racket :unsure:

Also are the brakes ok with clearance on an et35 18x8 wheel? As I may also be changing to a set of protrack wheels soon to save some unsprung mass....

Ah I forgot about Carbotech brake pads, I should add them to my list. Only thing I'd say with the AX6 is they have a working temperature range upto 537°, which might be abit low for track use. I really want to get some of that brake disc temperature paint, but it's so bloody expensive.

I've not had any noise from the grooved discs, other than the odd noise when reversing. 

Clearance should be fine on that size wheel. 

7 minutes ago, gavin_t said:

Cheers @will300 might see if I can get some PFC 08. Cheaper and tried and tested by people with this application.

Just a heads up to maybe save you a few pounds - when I got my PFC.11's Kam racing were cheapest for both the 08 and 11 of everywhere I looked

19 minutes ago, Deacon said:

Just a heads up to maybe save you a few pounds - when I got my PFC.11's Kam racing were cheapest for both the 08 and 11 of everywhere I looked

Ta.

I think the carbon tech pads via Abbey were coming in at £222 so will see how these compare price wise. I see you and will are split between the 08 and 11 compounds.

4 hours ago, gavin_t said:

Ta.

I think the carbon tech pads via Abbey were coming in at £222 so will see how these compare price wise. I see you and will are split between the 08 and 11 compounds.

I had the 08 on the OEM brakes and so thought I'd try the 11's on the BBK. Both are excellent so far but I've not had chance to use the 11 much so far due to good old Covid.

Sounds like there is plenty of good choice then. Plus been a superior brake setup you can probably use a slightly less aggressive pad and get away with it. Only reason I was swaying away from the supplied DS2500 was the wooden feel I had experienced in the past with them.

2 minutes ago, gavin_t said:

Sounds like there is plenty of good choice then. Plus been a superior brake setup you can probably use a slightly less aggressive pad and get away with it. Only reason I was swaying away from the supplied DS2500 was the wooden feel I had experienced in the past with them.

I was the same thats the only reason I didnt give them a try again!

5 minutes ago, Rich196 said:

I was the same thats the only reason I didnt give them a try again!

Just looked at the blurb on the F4R seem well rated by users and have a high temperature operating window too. How do you find the feel and road manners?

Seem a bargin at circa £100 as well.

9 minutes ago, gavin_t said:

Just looked at the blurb on the F4R seem well rated by users and have a high temperature operating window too. How do you find the feel and road manners?

Seem a bargin at circa £100 as well.

They don't have a lot of feel when cold, im not going to lie doesn't take much to get a little bit of heat into them and then they are fine.

I would prefer to have the road manner of the F4R over the track manner of the DS2500 personally.

2 hours ago, Rich196 said:

They don't have a lot of feel when cold, im not going to lie doesn't take much to get a little bit of heat into them and then they are fine.

I would prefer to have the road manner of the F4R over the track manner of the DS2500 personally.

Well I am living with the DS2500 on the road fine so they should be ample.

Where did you source your pads from?

13 minutes ago, gavin_t said:

Well I am living with the DS2500 on the road fine so they should be ample.

Where did you source your pads from?

Im sure it was a company called finishline on ebay where I last got them from. Not bought for a while as I have a set on the shelf still.