Jay Bamrah

Mtec clutch spring

I live in the uk and the clutch spring on ftspeed.com mtec.com and tuningdevelopments.com are charging more on import tax than the spring costs itself.

does anyone in the uk recommend a uk website to buy it from?

thanks guys

Just now, Samwise said:

I've got one i've not used that i'd consider selling, say £30 incl P&P?

It's brand new and all that jazz just un-used.

Can I see a photo of it with the mtec logo on the bag?

27 minutes ago, Shippers said:

I got it from Mike at TD. Not fitted it yet so would be interested to hear your feedback if you get round to fitting it before me.

I also got mine from TD.

You definitely have to take the pedal assembly off (right hand drive!), but it's not nearly as scary as it sounds.

It took me about two hours, including a short break for rain, a short break for coffee, and accidentally pulling out the wrong spring clip. I removed the clip for the brake pedal, then wondered why the clutch wouldn't move.

This guide is pretty good:

how to install MTEC clutch spring upgrade in right hand drive BRZ GT86 86 FRS

The only thing I would add is that, if you can, get a second pair of hands to help line up the clutch pedal assembly with the bulkhead holes when refitting. That was the one bit of the process that really gave me a headache - damned thing kept slipping.

13 minutes ago, cliddell said:

I also got mine from TD.

You definitely have to take the pedal assembly off (right hand drive!), but it's not nearly as scary as it sounds.

It took me about two hours, including a short break for rain, a short break for coffee, and accidentally pulling out the wrong spring clip. I removed the clip for the brake pedal, then wondered why the clutch wouldn't move.

This guide is pretty good:

how to install MTEC clutch spring upgrade in right hand drive BRZ GT86 86 FRS

The only thing I would add is that, if you can, get a second pair of hands to help line up the clutch pedal assembly with the bulkhead holes when refitting. That was the one bit of the process that really gave me a headache - damned thing kept slipping.

What’s the reason right hand makes it different can you not pop the e bracket and pull out the spring ?

2 minutes ago, Jay Bamrah said:

What’s the reason right hand makes it different can you not pop the e bracket and pull out the spring ?

The transmission tunnel is in the way of getting to the C clip for the clutch retaining pin, and even if you could get the pin off, you couldn't get anything in to press the pin out.

1 minute ago, cliddell said:

The transmission tunnel is in the way of getting to the C clip for the clutch retaining pin, and even if you could get the pin off, you couldn't get anything in to press the pin out.

Thanks, guess I’m gonna have to dedicate a Saturday to this then lol. And also thanks fkr telling me because I was going to have one arrive and then be lost why it wasn’t working too 

4 minutes ago, Jay Bamrah said:

Thanks, guess I’m gonna have to dedicate a Saturday to this then lol. And also thanks fkr telling me because I was going to have one arrive and then be lost why it wasn’t working too 

That's exactly what I did, and very nearly packed up when I realised the situation.

But stubbornness and lockdown boredom (I did it back in May) made me go ahead. And, like I said, I found it far less onerous a job than I feared.

If you're not too far from me, and if The Rules allow it when you want to do it, I'd be happy to lend a hand.

1 hour ago, Jay Bamrah said:

Okay, what’s the reason u don’t want it just curious 

I can't be bothered to fit it when i'm going to be ripping my engine out next year, too much hassle for what it's worth, i hate crawling around the pedals.

You seem very suspicious to buy what is essentially just a spring, i'm not trying to flog you a watch lol

Just now, Samwise said:

I can't be bothered to fit it when i'm going to be ripping my engine out next year, too much hassle for what it's worth, i hate crawling around the pedals.

You seem very suspicious to buy what is essentially just a spring, i'm not trying to flog you a watch lol

No I’m not suspicious I’m just curious why u bought it and don’t want it 😂 what are u doing engine wise

17 minutes ago, Samwise said:

Bought myself an LS3 v8 in 2019 to fit, currently in the process of stripping it down to rebuild it :) fun fun

Omg that’s actually badass wow does a v8 fit nice in the brz frs 86 ?

33 minutes ago, Jay Bamrah said:

Omg that’s actually badass wow does a v8 fit nice in the brz frs 86 ?

not too badly, boxer engines are really wide and the LS itself is rather small compared to most engines thanks to the fact it doesn't have over head cams.

Here's a similar small block chevy v8 next to a Ford 5.0 Coyote V8:

661029d1501397581-ford-coyote-swaps-do-t