Luke

Daily driven/ track day brake pads

I’ve read numerous brake pad threads before on the forum but they were all posted quite a while ago and time and experience moves on.

I’m looking for some good suggestions from your experiences on what brake pad options work well for daily driving and occasional track day duties.

Had a very bad experience last weekend with a set of EBC green stuff providing some horrible brake judder after two hot laps of Bedford Autodrome. 

Previously the OEM pads worked better but faded within a few laps and also drove me mad with all the squealing on the public road.

From what I’ve researched it seems like a fast road pad is made of a softer material giving a better initial bite but after any significant heat they fall apart.

I have a set of PFC Z’s ready to go on the front but I’m just wondering what to partner them up with? Or would you suggest I fit something else all round?

There are a lot of options out there and I don’t believe the marketing spill anymore, I need real world experiences from you owners who’ve been there and tried it already.

Thanks in advance.

Hello mate I use ebc yellow stuff on the rear with pfc z front. In no way are these track pads but will survive on track longer than OEM. I have no issue with noise daily driving.

The pfc z pads do get spongy after 15 mins on track I tend to push another lap then come in. But also note I'm a rookie track day driver.

The answer that is obvious is that there isn't a pad that does both well. Best idea is to run two sets of pads.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

The rear pads aren't that important. I've found EBC yellowstuff fine there befpre, currently use DS2500 and still no problems, OEM would probably be fine tbh. "Fast road" pads are fine for the rears. If you put anything hardcore in the rears they'll make a hell of a racket in normal road use.

Also going to add, Bedford GT is very hard on brakes compared to most UK circuits.

Check disks if you feel judder. I had a slight lip on my, giving judder only when braking at speed over 80 mph (Paddock Hill at Brands was very challenging due to vibration).

My experience with pads so far (Ksports BBK fronts, stock rear)
- ECB Yellowstuff were absolutely fine, good combination for daily and occasional track day. Not too much dust, no noise. Dont last though, particularly after going FI.
- DS2500 front, ECB Yellowstuff rear - ok, but much better with ECB Bluestuff rear. Good life (fronts after 5 track days were just over 1/2 worn, rears lasted over 2 yrs, probably 15+ track days would have lasted couple more). Lots more dust, occasional sqeel but not too bad.

I have tried ECB Bluestuff on front and rear, but fronts crumbled on edges and I got a lip on the disk, hence had to change them.

After putting BBK on rear as well (DS2500 front and rear) brakes still feel weird with ABS engaging way too early (better in track mode, but Bedford was not to try it out tbf). Need another track day to get used to them.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Yellow stuff all around both before and after bbk. 

They wear quickly with trackdays but I've never had fade even with 30 min sessions at full chat. 

For reference, before bbk they needed to be changed after each trackday,afterwards it seems to be every 3 or 4 depending on the circuit.

Then again, when I started doing trackdays they would last 3 trackdays on standard yellowstuff. 

I can only give feedback on those or stock (stock Sucks) not tried any others. 

Check disks if you feel judder. I had a slight lip on my, giving judder only when braking at speed over 80 mph (Paddock Hill at Brands was very challenging due to vibration).

My experience with pads so far (Ksports BBK fronts, stock rear)
- ECB Yellowstuff were absolutely fine, good combination for daily and occasional track day. Not too much dust, no noise. Dont last though, particularly after going FI.
- DS2500 front, ECB Yellowstuff rear - ok, but much better with ECB Bluestuff rear. Good life (fronts after 5 track days were just over 1/2 worn, rears lasted over 2 yrs, probably 15+ track days would have lasted couple more). Lots more dust, occasional sqeel but not too bad.

I have tried ECB Bluestuff on front and rear, but fronts crumbled on edges and I got a lip on the disk, hence had to change them.

After putting BBK on rear as well (DS2500 front and rear) brakes still feel weird with ABS engaging way too early (better in track mode, but Bedford was not to try it out tbf). Need another track day to get used to them.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

BBK will be vastly different to stock brake. Pads won't reach the temperature you get on stock pads as fast due to more metal absorbing the heat.

As above I've found ebc yellow to be fine but just wear out quickly, but the project mu hc800 I've found even better (TD stock these) if slightly worse cold bite but feel great on track and haven't faded for me, although I keep my sessions reasonably short

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Thanks for you opinions guys, from what I read it seems that yellow stuff or ds2500 are the safe bet for a good all rounder. 
I’d agree that Bedford has a lot of heavy braking zones so you’d definitely notice a weakness in the brakes there. 
I try to keep my stints fairly short otherwise I lose concentration and start dicking around.

As you know I didnt like my Ds2500 they went in the bin after 1 track day.

Best pads I used on the stock calliper was a carbotech XP8/10.

The other option would be to swap pads for track day then you get the best of both worlds

When I had XP8's in the front calipers they worked well on track but noise on the road was horrific. It's not a nice squeal either, sounds like something is broken.

If you didn't like the minor little squeal you get on OEM pads, well these are about x 10 of that.

I’ve read a few articles before stating that changing pads for track is a bad idea without changing the discs as well because the two bed together and changing one will require some bedding in time. Has anyone else heard of this or experienced it before? 

I can recommend DBA T3 discs and Hawk pads.  Although I have tracked with them and they stand up well to short sessions they are more of a fast road set up

After almost 15k miles and around 5 track days they are around 60% worn and still performing well

I understand Sumo Power are currently advertising deals as a package

3 hours ago, maurice said:

When I had XP8's in the front calipers they worked well on track but noise on the road was horrific. It's not a nice squeal either, sounds like something is broken.

If you didn't like the minor little squeal you get on OEM pads, well these are about x 10 of that.

I find it depends how you bed them in i think, give them death on the bedding in process and mine were quiet I had no noise issues like you describe.

3 hours ago, Luke said:

I’ve read a few articles before stating that changing pads for track is a bad idea without changing the discs as well because the two bed together and changing one will require some bedding in time. Has anyone else heard of this or experienced it before? 

Tends to only be an issue if one set of pads are bad for leaving deposits. I have no real experience of doing this though as i am hella lazy

My vote would be for PFC.08's. I ran them on stock calipers and discs. They were fantastic from cold, I didn't get and noise from them and they were amazing on track.

I'm on the PFC.11's now but will probably go back to the .08's - the .11's squeal like a pig!

I had the PFC Z and took them off after the first track day. Quite, low dust, well priced, didn't fade. BUT I found they had no bite or feel what so ever.

I  run yellow stuff rear which seem fine. Not noisy, haven't fallen to pieces and are 4 track days old and still have life (although two of these were wet days)

For the front I run DS2500 but am not completely satisfied with the performance. Road manners are fine, last ok but again feel a bit wooden under foot but are better then the PFC z.

I an either going to go whole hog with a reyland BBK next or stick in some project Mu as recommended by Will, jeff and tashan etc.

1 hour ago, Rich196 said:

I find it depends how you bed them in i think, give them death on the bedding in process and mine were quiet I had no noise issues like you describe.

Tends to only be an issue if one set of pads are bad for leaving deposits. I have no real experience of doing this though as i am hella lazy

I gave mine a fairly "decent" run in.

The UK seller let on in one of the forums he swaps his out on the road due to the noise, so I don't think it's an isolated problem. Probably differs depending on your local driving habits.

59 minutes ago, maurice said:

I gave mine a fairly "decent" run in.

The UK seller let on in one of the forums he swaps his out on the road due to the noise, so I don't think it's an isolated problem. Probably differs depending on your local driving habits.

Ah okay, I know the seller, and if he say they can be noisy then they can hes a great guy. I personally never had an issue with it then.

5 hours ago, gavin_t said:

I had the PFC Z and took them off after the first track day. Quite, low dust, well priced, didn't fade. BUT I found they had no bite or feel what so ever.

I  run yellow stuff rear which seem fine. Not noisy, haven't fallen to pieces and are 4 track days old and still have life (although two of these were wet days)

For the front I run DS2500 but am not completely satisfied with the performance. Road manners are fine, last ok but again feel a bit wooden under foot but are better then the PFC z.

I an either going to go whole hog with a reyland BBK next or stick in some project Mu as recommended by Will, jeff and tashan etc.

Project Mu do seem to get good reviews. Have all those above who are running non stock pads also gone in for uprated brake fluid? And braided lines for good measure? Or are a set of decent pads and a well maintained brake system all that's needed unless going all the way with a BBK? 

Luke, hope you don't mind me jumping in on your thread. I thought it would be useful to hear what people also think about fluid and hoses as well.....and, because like you, I'm at thst stage of needing to replace pads and thinking an upgrade is in order 😀

Project Mu do seem to get good reviews. Have all those above who are running non stock pads also gone in for uprated brake fluid? And braided lines for good measure? Or are a set of decent pads and a well maintained brake system all that's needed unless going all the way with a BBK? 
Luke, hope you don't mind me jumping in on your thread. I thought it would be useful to hear what people also think about fluid and hoses as well.....and, because like you, I'm at thst stage of needing to replace pads and thinking an upgrade is in order
I use rbf600 as its simple and easy and to have the piece of mind that your fluid won't boil on track is worth the couple of extra quid cost on fluid and to do a yearly change.

I haven't don't lines yet.

Luke, hope you don't mind me jumping in on your thread. I thought it would be useful to hear what people also think about fluid and hoses as well.....and, because like you, I'm at thst stage of needing to replace pads and thinking an upgrade is in order
Yes rbf660, worth it as I was boiling fluid before (even ate200), and braided lines, although I'm not sure how much difference the lines actually made and I'm sure I read somewhere the oem lines are actually pretty decent anyway

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't bother with braided lines unless getting them with a BBK.

I've never seen much difference with them, even on motorcycles. I think people fit them because they are cheap, have to rebleed the brakes while doing it and then attribute the improvement of freshly bled fluid to the braided lines.

Plus I also had a 2 year old braided line pop on me at my last MOT, from my googling it's not a rare incident. They don't last like OEM lines.

18 hours ago, Shippers said:

Luke, hope you don't mind me jumping in on your thread. I thought it would be useful to hear what people also think about fluid and hoses as well.....and, because like you, I'm at thst stage of needing to replace pads and thinking an upgrade is in order 😀

Not at all. I’m using SS brake lines, ate200 fluid and a master cylinder brace. It’s a marginal gain on pedal feel, I’d say that a fluid swap feels best of those. I do bleed off some fluid before and after each track day to remove any risk of boiled fluid near the hot caliper. That does improve the pedal feel. 

On the fluid and lines front I am stock. I do change the fluid every year though as keeping it fresh is as key as it been decent fluid,

I have used ATE blue in the past and found it good. Can get it from euro car parts too so nice and easy to get