Shad

Recommend me a replacement head unit

The standard basic Subaru head unit is not great as we know, so I'd like to replace it with something that will offer Android Auto (and Apple Car Play). I've been doing some reading and there are obviously a variety of double-din units, but what can you guys recommend today? I'd really love something that doesn't need a bit of plastic fascia to fill in any gaps, and I believe such units do exist (or at least, did). Are they still available and relevant? Car is a late 2015 BRZ.

Some things I'd be keen to have from a new unit:

• No additional fascia trim
  • Capacitive touch screen
  • Physical buttons for volume and track skip (a rotary dial for volume would be amazing but they seem to be out of fashion)
  • Retain the factory USB socket, and maybe even the 3.5mm input too
  • Android Auto as a priority
  • Fast start-up
  • Not cost the Earth!

I rarely listen to radio so I'm not bothered about DAB support (car doesn't have the DAB ariel anyway). There's also the cheaper Android head units, are they really any good? They seem like a security nightmare waiting to happen since I can't imagine they're going to be receiving any OS updates.

Thoughts welcome, thanks!

I had one of the Chinese android units, it was alright but ultimately not as slick or as good quality as something from the big names so I swapped it out. You are gonna be hard pressed to meet all your requirements, you will have to compromise. You want a 200mm headunit to do away with the fascia trims but that narrows your choice significantly. I ended up with a Kenwood DDX9 series imported from Malaysia as they don't sell them in this part of the world. Its fantastic, but has no buttons and its pricey.

Thanks @Varelco. I've looked into some more of the Chinese Android units and it seems like a complete minefield. Devices that work well for a number of months, then not so much. Suppliers disappearing. Warranty not being honored... think I'll pass on that idea. Can't seem to find any other 200x100mm units available in the UK anymore.

I guess that means the big compromise I'll have to make is on the fascia adapter. So in terms of a standard double din unit, what's a good option these days? There are so many to choose from!

Watching with interest....currently have a Pioneer AVH-X5800DAB which I bought off another member. But my girlfriend recently upgraded her car to something with built in Android Auto, and it's spoiled me, so I wants it, precious. 

What I can tell you though, is that any double din unit will need a fascia, as the stock unit (for the GT86 at least) is slightly wider than double din standard. 

Some potential options:

• Kenwood DMX8020DABS - double-din, available in the UK, wireless Android Auto, mixed reviews on Amazon
  • Kenwood DDX920WDABS - 200x100mm, import to the UK only, wireless Android Auto, no fascia required

The second one is appealing but it would mean shipping and import taxes from overseas. There's an Austrailian seller that also includes a full harness/wiring kit for a BRZ which helps. But it's a whole bunch more hassle (and money) over the 8020 🤔

Is anybody using wireless Android Auto yet?

I have the previous model year to the DDX920. the 919. Little info for you on the Kenwood units. Usually the last 2 numbers denotes the model year. First is the series number with 9 being their most premium. The DDX919 was significantly cheaper than the 920 as it was last year's model and doesn't have DAB so I went for that (also not fussed on DAB). Not used wireless AA yet I believe it's still being beta tested? It's fantastic. The built in DSP on the Kenwood unit is also very good. Once i swtup the crossovers and equalizer the sound out of my speakers is so much sharper and the bass is punchier.

Install is straightforward, the supplied harness will work out of the box but you will need an adaptor for the powered aerial and one to retain the USB (over priced so i DIYed my own) but that's it. 

Maybe I should wait a few months for the '21 units then! Good to know they're decent bits of kit though. Can you share who you imported yours from? Would you recommend them? I might see if I can find a UK distributor and ask if they can get a W unit. Surprised they don't have them in the UK, I wouldn't have thought our market is much different from Austrailia or othe regions.

I have absolutely no idea why they aren't available here. It's odd. They are made for the RHD market too, hence the buttons on the right side. I bought mine from Fasmoto in Malaysia. They were great, delivery was quick i had the headunit in about a week. You could wait for the 21 model but what more would you want from your headunit? It's got everything covered. Only other thing to note is they don't support DVDs, wrong region, but I don't suppose that matters. Who is gonna play a film in an 86.

@Varelco Thank you for sharing your insights and it is invaluable to know their naming convention. It is also great to know that their DSP is top notch. With all the tech now ( android auto, playing various audio formats etc.) people forget to check out/mention the DSP / Audio playback quality and this is where the traditional brands excel ( Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer) as that is what they focused on.  I was looking at Fasmoto site and they currently have 2 models suited for our cars DMX820WS and DDX919WS. I am struggling to find any differences other than the DVD player in the 919 while 820 is mechless. Do you know if the DSP , screen etc will be different aka lower quality in the 820?

Also did you need to pay import taxes? If yes, how much approximately please?

I just took a look on Kenwood's website the 820 has the same DSP. I think any unit of their units which has the "Hi-Res Audio" symbol means that it has the same DSP with all the features. Also I forgot to mention the DDX means it has a CD slot and the DMX doesn't. The Fasmoto site is a bit naughty you only get the HD screen on the 9 series model, not the 8. It is lovely, very clear and crisp but probably unnecessary. From what I figure out with the 820 you lose the CD slot, the HD screen and the wireless functionality (Carplay and wireless mirror imaging). Come to think of it I didn't need the 919 the 820 would have done everything I need.

As for taxes I asked them to review the value of the headunit before they sent it. 😉  All fees came to £60

Ah you beat me to it @Varelco, was just writing basically exacty the same reply :)

Thanks for your input though, very useful. I don't need a mech but for me the screen resolution and wireless AA are good future-proofing options so will probably go with the 920 if the cost isn't too bad.

Unfortunately one needs to choose between quality audio and at best lagging android screen mirroring in products of leading car headunit makers, OR native android in some of chinese units. I'd be willing to pay extra to get both quality and audio in one unit, but as there were none in all these years despite imho more then probable demand, for whatever reasons, i predict that there will be none in foreseeable closest future. So it's upto one choosing his poison from exclusive choices. As alternative, i'd maybe consider chineese android headunit + some investment in amps/speakers, to enhance it's output instead of relying on built in amplification.

Don't use screen mirroring - it's a mistake.

Feed your phone's internet via USB or wi-fi hotspot and use apps directly in the Android head unit.  No lag, excellent performance and the display is properly as you would expect a 7" landscape format to be, rather than a rendered phone screen.  I have Waze and web radio running simultaneously and there are no problems even through poor signal areas.

Just looked into wireless AA a bit more. Some of the info is a bit old now so if you've got a fairly up to date phone it ought to be a bit simpler now. I'm using a OnePlus 5T on Android 10 and all I had to do to enable the wireless option was enable developer settings in Android Auto and then check the box, rather than installing any beta software on the phone. Android 11 phones, Pixels, and some Samsungs should all just work out of the box without any developer settings.

Based on what I've found it should work with the DDX919WS - @Varelco are you able to test by any chance?

Info from:

Sorry Shad can't help you with that one bud. I have an ancient Galaxy S7 so only have the option of tethered AA. I replaced the cigarette lighter socket with a second USB, I tuck my phone in there so it's not a big deal, means it gets charged too and I'm not tempted to touch it whilst driving.

I'm aware that the 919 does support AA wirelessly despite Kenwood oddly not advertising it, Fasmoto has proved that (and so does number 22. on your list by the looks of it)

So I reached out to a supplier in Aus about shipping a unit over and although they used to do that, they no longer ship overseas due to a number of potential issues. I also reached out to a local Kenwood dealer about sourcing one but haven't heard anything, so after getting a bit impatient I've gone with a UK spec 'double din' headunit and a fascia adapter. If I really don't like the look I might see about making a custom bit of trim that changes the 200mm stereo hole to a standard size one.

Anyway, question for you guys who've installed a stereo - what is the small flylead on the aerial adapter for? Where does that go?? Hard to find any information online, I'm guessing it's either a ground, or +12v to amplify the aerial?

2021-01-05 12.01.06.jpg

Ok new question... what are people doing for their vehicle speed sense (VSS) connection? Looks like pin 17 on the 28-pin connector. Not entirely sure if my head unit will need it or not, but if it does, would like to know what others are doing for this one.

Thanks

54 minutes ago, Shad said:

Ok new question... what are people doing for their vehicle speed sense (VSS) connection? Looks like pin 17 on the 28-pin connector. Not entirely sure if my head unit will need it or not, but if it does, would like to know what others are doing for this one.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure you won't be able to use it on an aftermarket unit. I would love to be wrong, but I have a Pioneer unit, and one of the downsides is it doesn't have automatic volume correction for speed. In a car like the GT86 where road noise can be intrusive, this is pretty annoying - I find myself often adjusting the volume for road speed.

If anyone knows a solution, I'd be grateful, but I don't think there are many aftermarket head units which support it.

If your unit has an input for VSS then it ought to work connected to the pin I mentioned, I think? I'm trying to piece this all together from various forum posts all over the place.