Daninplymouth

Sainsbury’s fuel

Depends on what you mean.

My supercharged celica running PowerFC ECU displays knock sensor output and flashes the CEL rapidly if it goes above a threshold.

Anyway, It's tuned to use vpower. I got caught out once and had to use regular unleaded. The knock sensor increased significantly when I gave it beans with the unleaded so there was no placebo effect just cold hard fact and a busted engine if i didn't heed the warning lol

Why didn't it retard ignition? Well, It's not as sophisticated as stock ECU (or syvecs alternative) so cannot retard ignition in the event of knock.  Its not usually an issue but glad I had it showing that day :)

3 hours ago, Adamd said:

The placebo effect is always something to behold in threads discussing fuel.

Nothing to do with placebo, which requires an expectation of outcome.

Quite apart from the great fuel debate, I wonder if the learned trims have an impact on a fresh tank of fuel from a different provider. I wonder if we only observe differences between the brand we've used consistently and others, irrespective of which it is. A few hours of varied driving ought to be enough to correct the trims.

There's also the fact that our experience between tanks is from week+ old fuel to fresh, and human perception is notoriously unreliable when the comparison is not immediate.

It's a tricky business! All the more so for you peeps with the custom tunes.