Daninplymouth

Sainsbury’s fuel

The ECU can handle it and will pull/ retard timing . Good tuners do a 95 octane , 97 and 99 octane mode , mode 1,2,3 and a mode 4 which can be a valet mode or an all toys mode with race rom features. All controlled through cruise control stalk.

If you are using the highest power tune and really need it , then use sainsbury premium 97 and add Millers petrol power ecomax , which is an octane booster and cleanser to take it to 99. I always carry ecomax in the car just in case.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I put in Sainsburys super unleaded last week and found the car less smooth, especially in pickup from idle.  Back to the usual Shell V-Power and it's smoother again.  My car with supercharger is mapped for Shell.  Fuels do make a difference.

Even NA I wouldn’t use anything less than 98ron on these FA20 engines given their reputable for bending rods.

It says “98ron+” under the fuel cap from the factory and in the owners manual it says the same.

It says at an absolute minimum you could use 95ron if nothing better is available but that “98 or higher” is the recommendation.

As yours has been mapped for 99, I would personally never risk using anything less than 99.

I see that Esso have started selling Synergy 99 Ron fuel. They claim zero Ethanol is used to boost octane. Not being sure that Shell  v power or Tesco momentum 99 has Ethanol in it but it’s another option that might be convenient.

2 minutes ago, Luke said:

I see that Esso have started selling Synergy 99 Ron fuel. They claim zero Ethanol is used to boost octane. Not being sure that Shell  v power or Tesco momentum 99 has Ethanol in it but it’s another option that might be convenient.

I'm keen to see if my local Esso station does this. I usually stick to V-Power of Tesco Momentum 99 as the car is remapped. However, both these fuels contain ethanol - which is what makes the fuel pump noisy (crickets). Esso Super unleaded is 97RON but apparently has no ethanol, and gets rid of the crickets, so if they also start matching the RON rating of Shell/Tesco, happy days.

52 minutes ago, Conscript said:

I'm keen to see if my local Esso station does this. I usually stick to V-Power of Tesco Momentum 99 as the car is remapped. However, both these fuels contain ethanol - which is what makes the fuel pump noisy (crickets). Esso Super unleaded is 97RON but apparently has no ethanol, and gets rid of the crickets, so if they also start matching the RON rating of Shell/Tesco, happy days.

Ditto, not so much an issue in the winter for me but my crickets get bad in the warmer months. I would like to try the Esso as I'm sure it will quieten down.

13 hours ago, Conscript said:

I'm keen to see if my local Esso station does this.

It's the new Supreme, the 97 is gone and replaced with 99. When on the continent I used their 98 which had as good MON ratings as our V-Power, which is actually a better determination than RON for performance. Even the Esso 97 formulation was good, so I hold high expectations for the 99.

5 minutes ago, nerdstrike said:

Keep an eye on the E numbers. Esso supreme+ sometimes has ethanol in it depending on how far you are from London.

Take it you didn't read the other posts.

Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area, Scotland and NW England).

Doesn't say how much ethanol or the exact areas / stations that are included from what I can find... 

Interesting comment about the fuel pump. For more than a year I've been getting an intermittent noise whilst idling which sounds like a sort of belt problem noise. I took it to a dealership before the first lockdown and they said they thought it was the fuel pump. Is the noise intermittent for those saying it is due to Ethanol or is it always there?

On 1/10/2021 at 5:01 PM, Willtl said:

Interesting comment about the fuel pump. For more than a year I've been getting an intermittent noise whilst idling which sounds like a sort of belt problem noise. I took it to a dealership before the first lockdown and they said they thought it was the fuel pump. Is the noise intermittent for those saying it is due to Ethanol or is it always there?

if you use cheap 95 fuel that is the reason of the issue. If no then the life of the pump is gone, search for aftermarket one cheap same as the original part will work properly

It has made the noise intermittently for more than a year. Fuel is always good quality. If life of the fuel pump is only 20,000 miles, Subaru make some poor quality parts.

21 hours ago, Iceman said:

if you use cheap 95 fuel that is the reason of the issue. If no then the life of the pump is gone, search for aftermarket one cheap same as the original part will work properly

It's not just cheap 95RON fuel. I've had the crickety fuel pump forever, and the car has been run on V-Power or Momemtum-99 almost exclusively - neither of which are cheap, nor 95RON. 

The only time it ever disappeared was when using Esso-97, which apparently how no ethanol. Now that Esso do a 99RON fuel to rival V-Power/Tesco Momentum, and my nearest fuel station is Esso, I've switched to using that. Since then, no crickets. 

2 hours ago, Conscript said:

It's not just cheap 95RON fuel. I've had the crickety fuel pump forever, and the car has been run on V-Power or Momemtum-99 almost exclusively - neither of which are cheap, nor 95RON. 

The only time it ever disappeared was when using Esso-97, which apparently how no ethanol. Now that Esso do a 99RON fuel to rival V-Power/Tesco Momentum, and my nearest fuel station is Esso, I've switched to using that. Since then, no crickets. 

Have you noticed any difference switching from v-power to Esso 99 performance wise ?? Since owning the car I have used nothing but V-power but at £1.45 a Ltr at the moment I may look at other options out there.

When I was running 3bar of boost on my Evo it was exclusively mapped on V power, luckily the 86 is only running just under 1bar of boost but once again only V power used.

3 hours ago, JohnM said:

Have you noticed any difference switching from v-power to Esso 99 performance wise ?? Since owning the car I have used nothing but V-power but at £1.45 a Ltr at the moment I may look at other options out there.

None whatsoever. But I'm not someone who lives at the redline 24/7, nor do I track the car...someone who does might notice it more. 

To be honest, I never even noticed much difference in performance between 95RON and 99RON in the few times I used it. I'd probably still be happy to use 95RON now, but I can't because the car is remapped. 

I notice the difference between super unleaded fuels quite a lot, never mind standard stuff.

Even V-Power varies by batch a little, sometimes being silky smooth while other times being just a little off.  BP is smooth but doesn't have quite the grunt and Sainsburys Super lacks smoothness and is considerably down on pickup, having a distinct lag in its response.