tomlee80

Chipped Windscreen Repair

So I've owned my lovely 66 Plate GT86 for just over a month and when washing it last weekend I discovered a tiny little chip mark (about 5mm) near the windscreen base.  I don't want to go through my insurance to get it sorted for free as I don't want it to affect my no claims or annual premium. Friend told me most places will do it for about £30.

The choice of windscreen chip repairers is insane.  Is there anyone I should avoid particularly? I'm a bit wary of letting Halfords near my car.

Who would you/or have you used in the past?

7 minutes ago, nikndel said:

Windscreen replacement or repair shouldn’t raise premiums 

I was hoping that it wouldn't if I did use my insurer.  But I'm kind of precious about having 18 years no claims and for the first time ever putting anything through my insurer. Surely if they have to pay out for anything on my behalf it affects my standing for renewal?  Perhaps I'm wrong. But £30 is neither here nor there for peace of mind.

1 hour ago, tomlee80 said:

I was hoping that it wouldn't if I did use my insurer.  But I'm kind of precious about having 18 years no claims and for the first time ever putting anything through my insurer. Surely if they have to pay out for anything on my behalf it affects my standing for renewal?  Perhaps I'm wrong. But £30 is neither here nor there for peace of mind.

The glass part of the policy is separate from the main policy and it's just an additional cover they offer. You don't have to declare it on renewal. TBH, you can just ask them what their policy is.

14 hours ago, tomlee80 said:

Most insurers have a excess for total replacement I just paid £50 for my Yaris repairs used to be free not sure now most insurance only gives max 9 years NCD I know the three I use do ☹️

A few years ago I repaired a tiny chip with superglue. After thorough cleaning I put a few tiny drops onto the chipped spot and left it there for about an hour. Then I topped it up and  waited for several hours, till it was fully hardened. I cut off the excess glue with a razor blade and polished it with a slightly abrasive car polish. Worked very well.

BUT, if it can be done by a professional for free, then that's the preferred way.

On my previous car (Suzuki Swift Sport) I had the windscreen replaced on insurance. I'm sure I arranged it directly via Autoglass and they automatically cross-reference your insurance, charge you the necessary excess etc. Didn't affect my no claims though you're best checking your policy. Unfortunately I've also got a chip within a month of getting my car, so I'll have to do this too!

Getting even a windscreen replaced does not affect your NCB. I’ve had a chip repaired twice now on my 86 and its never put my premium up. I just had to pay the £50 excess on both occasions.

I've got a fairly big chip in mine on the passenger side, and the rest of the screen is peppered with tiny marks. In the collective experience here, are replacement screens usually a genuine Subaru/Toyota part, or a pattern part? Have any of you requested or specified the type of glass to use?

Obviously I'm keen to get a genuine Subaru screen...