itsuki

Any experience with Primacy 4 (or other lower grip tyres)? 

First post but I've been lurking in the shadows for a while :)

I'm trying to maintain the playfulness of the stock HPs but for an 18 inch 225/40 tyre size, and also improving the HPs twitchiness in the wet.

Doing some research I think Primacy 4s are my best option, but wanted to know if anyone had had any experience with them. Or if you can think of any similar alternatives, I've seen Yokohama V105s mentioned but I understand those are quite a bit grippier. Any insight would be much appreciated, thanks!

I moved to the v105 because I didn't like how unpredictable the primacy were in the wet and didn't want something too grippy. Yes the v105 are a gripper tyre but it's still plenty playful enough with stock power (and far better in the wet!) would recommend.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Another v105 user here. Pretty much identical to willclarkes experience. I find them much more confidence inspiring than the stock primacys. Even with 225/40/18 the car is still playful, especially in the wet, but they never feel sketchy and are much more progressive when they let go. Dry grip is good but not excessive, it never feels over tyred, the car still holds it momentum and doesn't scrub off too much speed.

They wear faster than the practically plastic primacys and aren't as good as Michelin PS4s (from what I've heard) but they seem well suited to this car and ideal for what you are after.

Another happy V105 user here....

Went from stock primacy tyres on the OEM wheels to some Yokohama V105 in 225/40-18 on my new wheels and haven't looked back and I am on my 3rd set of V105 now :lol:

Can still swing the back out if you provoke it, takes a little more effort but the way the tyres behave is so much better. The breakaway is very progressive and gives you a lot more trust in what the car will do. The primacy was more grip followed by VERY sideways all or nothing. These are much more predictable and therefore fun :)

Was tempted to jump on the Michelin PS4 bandwagon last time I needed new rubber but decided "if it aint broke don't fix it" and just got another set.

1 hour ago, gavin_t said:

Glad to hear it was of some help. What size wheel are you fitting?

V105 are quite resilient to abuse on road and track for a road tyre too :)

Good to know! Just got the car a few months ago so planning to do a few track days next year if COVID allows it - although it'll be mostly spirited mountain road driving, I'm lucky to live close to some fun twisties!

Wheels are gonna be 18x7.5 XXR 530s, really like the look and doesn't deviate too far from stock specs and character. Waiting for Black Friday to hopefully get a good deal on wheels and tyres, fingers crossed 🤞

I must be in the minority in thinking that the stock car is under-tyred.  Never mind 'playful', with Primacies it's just damned dangerous in the wet.

With the chance to buy new wheels, I would go again for 8" wheels with 225 tyres for an NA car.

With my supercharged car, my 8.75" wheels with 235 tyres are just perfect.  Still pretty playful if I want it to be.

I think 7.5 will be fine with a 225 tyre. Would maybe sit slighter squarer and give better feel on an 8. Although if there is a wheel you like in 7.5 it will be fine also :)

I think  225 wide tyres on an 8 inch wheel is the sweet spot for the NA car. I agree with @martinT that a bit of extra grip does unlock more of the cars chassis potential.

Yer looks spot on that. Hard to say with all tyres as one manufactures 225 is very different to another's. Good to see the tyre we are discussing on a 7.5j wheel. Will be lighter too :)

16 hours ago, Varelco said:

My Advans are 7.5j on a 225/40/18 V105. Sidewall is completely flat. 

50572073088_3c606b835e_b.jpg

47555898182_060e83a59e_b.jpg

Your car looks super clean 😎 what is your suspension setup? More importantly are those SA3R’s, how did you source them?

17 hours ago, gavin_t said:

Yer looks spot on that. Hard to say with all tyres as one manufactures 225 is very different to another's. Good to see the tyre we are discussing on a 7.5j wheel. Will be lighter too :)

Thank you. Yeah massively. Even within manufacturers own tyres. I know Yoko Advans AD08R are really wide for their stated size.

1 hour ago, Luke said:

Your car looks super clean 😎 what is your suspension setup? More importantly are those SA3R’s, how did you source them?

Cheers mate, does not look like that at the minute  😂  I have -25mm Tein luxury master springs, camber bolts up front and adjustable lower control arms on the rear. They aren't SA3R's would love to see an 86 on a set though. The wheels are Yoko Advan AVS Model 5's, they don't make them anymore unfortunately and are really rare in 5x100. I managed to source a set in Lithuania then had them powdered shadow chrome. I'm selling them in the new year I want to go back to 17's.

Well done on sourcing the model 5’s though, they’re really rare in that fitment. What’s your reasons for wanting to switch to 17’s? 

What rim width/ET and tire width are you looking at?

I'm currently letting 7.5 width and 215/45 tires dictate which 17" rims I get even though for looks sake I'd prefer to go 8 inch wide ET35 rims