McDude

OZ Leggera HLT - I'd wheely Like your thoughts

Okay, there are no wrong answers here! I've been eyeing up some OZ Leggera HLT in gold for my Mica Blue BRZ.

If you aren't familiar, the Leggera looks like this:

01-leggera-hlt-race-gold-jpg-1000x750.jpg.d2b08fcb09546f33257174ddaf6a2d7a.jpg

Now in 5x100 you can get the following:

Option 1:

17"x7.5J ET35

This seems to be the perfect size/offset for our cars and comes with the advantage that I can use my existing tyres as they have loads of tread on them

Option 2:

18"x8J ET35

Now with the wheel being 1" wider than stock and the offset being 13mm more poke this would put the wheel 25.7mm further out - is that too far? Will it possibly rub with the body work?

Option 3:

18"x8J ET 45

Much like option 2 but 15.7mm more poke than stock - feels like this might be a better compromise

I'd wrap an 18" in a 225 40R18 tyre and almost certainly drop the ride height (with springs!) by 20-25mm.

There is of course an Option 4 which is put the ET45s on the front and the ET35s on the back

Let's have your thoughts and in the meantime here is what it could look like - unfortunately I don't know what the offset is on these wheels but looking at the back I wonder if they are ET452050513409_SubaruLeggeraHLT2.jpg.db84118b36ec8753799c761798d3e431.jpg

41654527_SubaruLeggeraHLT.jpg.75e6181612d636d810260d872c84ecf3.jpg

Option 1 or 2 are the best choices. Personally I'd go Option 2.

Option 1: This is probably best if you are going to keep stock suspension or want a slightly lighter wheel:

option1.jpg

Option 2: Will have a better fitment when lowered (1" drop and 1degree camber) and with some camber:

option2.jpg

Does the negative camber come by virtue of dropping the car? As it's a macpherson up front, is there room to move the top mount!?! I can't figure out how you'd increase the camber up front. Actually looking at the rear not sure how you'd achieve that either as all the joints look like fixed points.

I've not done any spannering on this car (other than plumb in a new stereo) and I'm not about to start. I'm too old to get cold and dirty at weekends, swearing at 8 year old seized suspension assemblies! I used to have a 205 GTi so I'm done with all that, though still respect those that do. But I do like to be able to discuss knowledgeably with my friendly mechanic.

You do get some negative camber by dropping the car. 

If you're just getting lowering springs you can usually get over a degree of negative camber at the front by using camber bolts, cost around £20-25 iirc new.

The rear is more of an issue, you will get more negative camber at the rear with lowering springs but its not desirable. The only way to adjust that is aftermarket adjustable trailing arms. I think it's probably ok as long as you don't drop too much.

Drawback of extra camber from lowering, that it mostly happens in rear, not front, with mcferson struts .. and front camber is which is lacking most on these cars, for track use or for reducing OE alignment understeer-ish bias.
Then again .. if one will get alignment done anyway, why not purchase single set of front camberbolts prior that?

I will echo the above.

18x8 et35 for sure. May look slightly too far out at first on stock suspension but once lowered slightly 20mm and with a slight bit of camber they will look spot on. If you get the et45 you would probably which you can the extra 10mm of spacing at this point.

haven't got any decent pictures to hand at the moment to show the fitment of mine but mine are 8.5 wide and et38. therefore stick out slightly more. No rubber has ever been found on road or track :)

PS see you are in Brentwood, have we met at the cars and coffee in Maldon before?

2020-07-02_08-03-13.jpg

3 minutes ago, gavin_t said:

I will echo the above.

18x8 et35 for sure. May look slightly too far out at first on stock suspension but once lowered slightly 20mm and with a slight bit of camber they will look spot on. If you get the et45 you would probably which you can the extra 10mm of spacing at this point.

haven't got any decent pictures to hand at the moment to show the fitment of mine but mine are 8.5 wide and et38. therefore stick out slightly more. No rubber has ever been found on road or track :)

PS see you are in Brentwood, have we met at the cars and coffee in Maldon before?

2020-07-02_08-03-13.jpg

We've not met - I'm antisocial when it comes to such meet ups ;) 

What tyre size do you run on your 8.5J rims?

Brentwood and Braintree seem to be a Blue BRZ hotspot then, must be breeding ;)

I use 225/40-18 V105's Drives nice and would be spot on for an 8J wheel too.

Think I have some pictures at home of when the car was on those wheels on stock suspension and on 20mm springs, I will see if I can dig them out.

reminds me I need to advertise the springs for sale to get rid of them out the spare room :lol:

4 hours ago, gavin_t said:

Brentwood and Braintree seem to be a Blue BRZ hotspot then, must be breeding ;)

I use 225/40-18 V105's Drives nice and would be spot on for an 8J wheel too.

Think I have some pictures at home of when the car was on those wheels on stock suspension and on 20mm springs, I will see if I can dig them out.

reminds me I need to advertise the springs for sale to get rid of them out the spare room :lol:

My other consideration would be Japan Racing JR18 which come in a 8.5J so this is good to hear. I'm just a bit concerned about the weight of them, I think they tip the scales at over 10kg, whereas the OZ are low 9s, so similar to stock. That's a lot of unsprung mass to contend with otherwise.

If it was me I’d wait to see what Black Friday deals come out this year, there is always something on offer when it comes to wheels. As for choice the OZ HLT would definitely be in my short list. Otherwise Partbox usually have some lovely Rays on good deals.

19 hours ago, McDude said:

My other consideration would be Japan Racing JR18 which come in a 8.5J so this is good to hear. I'm just a bit concerned about the weight of them, I think they tip the scales at over 10kg, whereas the OZ are low 9s, so similar to stock. That's a lot of unsprung mass to contend with otherwise.

I agree there, mine are 10kg on the nose which is a little heavy. It is slightly noticeable but not night and day. If I was choosing a set off of the shelf I would certainly go for the lighter option. I got mine second hand just to try some 18's so went with what was available at the time and the weight hasn't bothered me too much in that time.

I do keep looking at other options though and my short list is currently a set of pro track wheels or some Autec wizards. Both of which are nice and light, come in 18's and are not overly pricey considering the quality.

https://protrackwheels.com/en/wheels/street/one

https://autec-wheels.de/en/design-program/type-w-wizard-gunmetal-matt.html

38 minutes ago, Luke said:

I’ve never seen a set of Protrack wheels before. Do they supply the VLN GT86’s that compete in the Nürburgring 24HR. 

Protrack wheels are ran by Root Racing / Tim Shricks BRZ in NLS (VLN) and also APEX Nurburgring on their rental car.

TMG/Gazoo Racing tend to run ATS wheels on their latest 86's, formerly OZ wheels.

Also you can now get the Protrack wheels from Tegiwa: https://www.tegiwaimports.com/wheels-tyres/protrack/protrack-alloy-wheel-one-track-edition.html

Cheers for the info Will, it seems like they have some proven record with a strong lightweight wheel. They’re about there with price compared to others with similar reputations. 

Those Protrack look great, but no gold option for Subaru owners ;) edited to add that at the price for a wheel that light you could afford to have them resprayed!

I've always liked these: https://www.macgracing.co.uk/shop/18/52-fullrace-a-8-x-18.html but no idea of weight. I think you can get just about any offset/hole pattern etc imaginable

3 hours ago, will300 said:

Protrack do Gold, just in 17x9 +30. Which is probably abit too aggressive

Yeah, that's not for me. But for the price of the OZ wheels you could pay for the Protrack and a respray - seems a light wheel.

@mcdude if you are interested in a set let me know. The place I was in talks with about a set can beat Tegiwa's price ;)

Keep meaning to grab myself a set but I think I am going to spend my pennies on a set of AP brakes first.