tomlee80

Initially started looking at Auris's and Corolla's...Only went and bought a bloody GT86 didn't I?! 😁

I'm 40, Have owned 4 cars total since 1997 when I passed my test.  My last one, a 53 plate 1.4ltr Corolla lasted me over 15 years since I purchased it in October 2005.  Always loved the look of the GT86 but never owned a car more powerful than a ride on lawnmower.  Picked my 66 plate up on Sunday and I've been grinning ever since!  Better late than never.

44 minutes ago, 86iain said:

Welcome.

You're the same age as me.

I've owned a few more cars than you though..

To be honest the Corolla purchase in 2005 was never intended to be a long term affair.  It just never broke down, ever! So I became attached. Ironically it was still running fine, but someone in a 19 plate Golf R drove into it outside a supermarket whilst I was shopping and it became an instant write off.  I felt I needed to stay with Toyota and here I am (albeit Toyota with a Subaru engine).

41 minutes ago, MartinT said:

Any age is a good age for an '86.  Welcome to the club!

Thanks, it's really so nice and tactile to drive.  I have zero regrets.

40 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Nothing like a mid life crisis eh? 🤣

Welcome and enjoy. :)

That's what I keep telling everyone, I'm just full-on embracing it! 😂

16 hours ago, nerdstrike said:

Don't sweat it Tom! The '86 is a very practical and sensible sports car.

He's not wrong! You can fit a set of skiis in it. No need for the other set, you cant carry the person that uses them at the same time :D

Welcome to the club, and I hope you love the car just as much as the rest of us! Great colour btw ;)

2 hours ago, nerdstrike said:

I got one of these into an RX8 once without compromising seating or using the ski-hatch, so I know what I'm talking about!

55" TV, new toilet, £1200 of paint, all went in the '86 (not at the same time!). Quite a list of quietly surprised retailers in my wake.

That's good to know, I always pick up a fairly large Christmas tree each year from our garden centre, was concerned I might not be able to manage it this year!

Welcome! 😎

I'm 20 years older than you and bought a GT86 about a year ago. It's my 18th car, if I remember well. 😁 I've owned everything from a Datsun 120Y to a Lexus GS430...

I'm amazed to hear the ages of some of you. I think it's fantastic (I appreciate I sound condescending). I'm 30 years old and it makes me smile knowing that some of you guys still in 60s are out there enjoying cars. Gives me hope for the future!

The sad story of my car was a 65 year old retiree bought his dream car for retirement, and died from undiagnosed cancer 3 weeks later. That's how I came to get my car. It's a 69 plate that I picked up this July with 200 miles on the clock... the family only sold it to me because they knew it was my dream car. I couldn't pay anywhere near it's true value. I felt bad at the time for buying someone else's dream, particularly at the price they sold to me. They seemed happy to sell it to an enthusiast though. It makes me happy and I think as a car lover who is way too attached to his car. If I ever had to get rid of my car, giving it to someone who would appreciate it would make me happy. Anyway, it was a sad story and I truly felt sorry for the original owner (also, called James and he had the same birth date as me... another reason the family sold it to me! interesting coincidences!)

Anyway I'm way off topic. But it just made me think. Congratulations and welcome to the world of the twins (GT86/BRZ). Enjoy it, they're fantastic cars and I hope you'll be able to enjoy this one for 15 years. Quite reliable, decent servicing costs. Fun... has backseats (that can be used in a pinch!)... fold the seats down and it becomes very practicable. I've had hatchbacks (208gti) that had less space for luggage etc!

Anyway take care and enjoy your new car. If you have any questions. The two UK forums are more than enough to help you. Neither, as active as they both use to be, but still enough.

Here's a picture of mine: (You need to upload one of yours! @tomlee80

IMG_20200910_153909.jpg