Maarten

Milltek or Cobra exhaust

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and the GT86 / BRZ community. I live in The Netherlands and before Covid I was visiting the UK about 3 - 4 times a year for holiday and BriSCA Stockcar F1 racing. Last month I bought a GT86 in Belgium as there are just a few for sale in The Netherlands. For me it is just a car for the weekend, not a daily driver.

The first modification will be the exhaust and I have read a lot about exhausts on this forums and others. I have decided to go for Milltek or Cobra. Milltek is for sale in The Netherlands, Cobra I have to order in the UK. I want a sound that is louder than stock, but not droning on Highways (as I want to drive the car also to the UK when possible again). 

I believe the Cobra non-resonated is very loud, so I would go for the resonated Cobra. I like the look of the outverted slash cut tips, but can not find any pictures of it mounted on a GT86. Does someone have these tips?

I also like the sound of the Milltek, but the quality (welds) seems to be a problem. Also the resonated version is not much louder than stock I believe? Does the non-resonated Milltek drone?

I would like hearing from you. 

Cheers,

Maarten

Maarten,

Before you start with exhaust think about how far you will take it.

1. Will you put a decat long tube manifold. If yes you need a quieter exhaust.
2. Do you plan to decat mid pipe. Same as above.
3. If you are going to add a turbo, you can go with a louder exhaust as turbo quietens.
4. If you plan to supercharge again a quieter exhaust is good.

Remus were the official.OE maker for Subaru Sports exhaust offered till 2017. You can buy their back box from your local.company. search for their. nl website. details below.
https://www.winparts.co.uk/exhaust-system/performance-exhausts/c293/remus-sport-exhaust-l-r-subaru-brz-2-0-147kw-2012-gt/p1072161.html

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Don't touch a Milltek, they crack. Sounds lovely but after cracking four of them I had enough. The Cobra booms on lift off, it's horrible. I don't like how it sounds. Some seem to like it though. I would look for something else. 

If you are running both cats then a non-res will be fine. TD non-res is probably more what you are looking for. 

I remember our rules being stricter than in the UK in regards to exhaust sounds and a non-resonated Cobra would be going over the sound limit by quite a bit.

Have you thought about getting  a custom exhaust or just removing cat?

Thank you all for your replies!

I am not planning any other exhaust updates at this time, only the cat back system and keep the cat. I had some MOT problems in The Netherlands in the past with my Westfield which had to much CO2.

I was hoping that Milltek solved the problems, but as Lauren had it cracked four times, I am not going that way. They have a dealer in The Netherlands, but still a long drive from where I live and I do not want to go there every time there is a problem with the exhaust. The good thing is that 86iain is happy with the Milltek and apparently had no issues. After all I have read about the Milltek issues I decided not to take one of them unfortunately (love the sound).

For the Cobra, I never heard them in real live, only on Youtube. If I am going for the Cobra it will be resonated.

I have also looked into the Remus and TD options as mentioned above. I will contact a local dealer about the Remus and I have sent a mail to TD with some questions. I hope the reviews I have read about TD from a person in The Netherlands and one from Germany are not true. They claim to have payed for parts and never received them...

Due to planning on a Tuning Developments (UK based) NA tuning package https://www.tuningdevelopments.uk/product_info.php?cPath=502_625_852&products_id=2567&osCsid=ckmofmh2472rtf81kjboj7kge0  I have just ordered an ARK Grip cat back https://www.torqen.uk/toyota/toyota-gt86/exhausts/exhaust-systems/3851-toyota-gt86-ark-grip-exhaust-system-burnt-tip-sm1202-0213g.html with the Helmholtz designed resonators. Although not significantly louder on a stock manifold they eliminate the drone and am hoping a good match for the TD 4-2-1 long tube header/manifold.  The Exhaust is currently around 20% discounted

Hi Maarten! Great to meet another Dutch car enthusiast on the forum! I'm located just a few km from the official lowest point of our car-hating country.

My GT86 is still completely in stock condition.

Hi Jay, nice to meet you over here! I'm located in the very south, near the highest point of NL haha. My car is also completely stock at the moment, but I am looking for some more sound.

It will be the: Cobra resonated (price incl. postage to NL € 760 ), TD resonated (price incl. postage to NL € 809 ) or Remus with (non resonated) racing pipe (available in NL for € 957).

Assuming you meant north, it's quite funny as I'm from the middle (below Utrecht) but moved to the UK a few years ago.

I'm personally having difficulties with finding a exhaust for a decent price, I need the quad pipes (trd) otherwise it looks odd and those are £1200 upwards.

Was looking at getting a custom one made but then covid hit us and paused that project.

As others have said, Milltek has a truly dreadful reputation now among the GT86/BRZ community. The numbers that cracked were unreal, they then retrospectively updated it with a flexi insert but it still cracked (I had 3 replacements under the warranty, the last one with the flexi that was meant to stop it cracking). At the same time dealers were reporting that Milltek were becoming increasingly difficult to deal with re the warranty replacements. In the end, I could have got yet another replacement or another exhaust completely (I was tempted) but went for a 3rd party welding option on the Milltek (even though that leaves me out of warranty) - Two and a half years later it is still fine (and sounds great to my ears) so I'm happy, but I'll never touch that company again after the experience.

13 hours ago, Captain Duff said:

As others have said, Milltek has a truly dreadful reputation now among the GT86/BRZ community. The numbers that cracked were unreal, they then retrospectively updated it with a flexi insert but it still cracked (I had 3 replacements under the warranty, the last one with the flexi that was meant to stop it cracking). At the same time dealers were reporting that Milltek were becoming increasingly difficult to deal with re the warranty replacements. In the end, I could have got yet another replacement or another exhaust completely (I was tempted) but went for a 3rd party welding option on the Milltek (even though that leaves me out of warranty) - Two and a half years later it is still fine (and sounds great to my ears) so I'm happy, but I'll never touch that company again after the experience.

Thank you Captain Duff! The sound is great, but if they crack all the time I don't want them. Certainly not if replacement will be more difficult in the future. Good to read however that your exhaust is fine after welding properly. I wonder why Milltek still didn't solve the problem.

I decided to buy the Cobra resonated cat-back from TarmacSportz. Including postage to The Netherlands and from UK Pounds to Euro it costs me € 797,- 

I have seen many Youtube movies (I know, sound can be different in real live, but due to Covid the options are limited) and I didn't like the sound of the Remus. I also contacted TD and Mike was very helpful, unfortunately the shipping costs where much higher, otherwise TD was a good option. Maybe I go there in the future for other modifications (after Covid when travelling is possible again).

22 hours ago, DevilsCry said:

Assuming you meant north, it's quite funny as I'm from the middle (below Utrecht) but moved to the UK a few years ago.

I'm personally having difficulties with finding a exhaust for a decent price, I need the quad pipes (trd) otherwise it looks odd and those are £1200 upwards.

Was looking at getting a custom one made but then covid hit us and paused that project.

I am living in the Maastricht area and normally travel a few times a year to the UK, even to Northampton (Brafield on the Green).

Quad pipes are expensive, I have seen them on different websites for a lot of money... 

My Cobra resonated exhaust has been fitted this week and I am very happy with it 😊

Sound is what I was looking for, more then stock and no drone at the highway. Also very happy with Tarmacsportz and Cobra exhausts for the service and delivery. From UK to The Netherlands in just a few days. Everything to install was included and it fits perfect.