DuncanM

Depressingly basic touch and go?

Hello, 

I'm happy enough with the sound, and the Bluetooth phone connection seems fine, however I don't seem to have the functionality that the manual suggests I should. There is no car setup button, and only very basic options under general. 

Also, I'd love to be able to set the key to fold the wing mirrors upon locking, is this possible? 

Another also, when opening the boot and filling with shopping (exciting yes), the car annoyingly beeps at me after a short time. Can I change this? 

Picture of basic system :

IMG_20200925_083947.jpg

Hi mate,

The unit is pretty generic, Ive still got mine but would want to replace eventually

So for the wing mirrors there is a module you can buy that folds the windows when the car is closed, I'm not too sure about the boot, as I feel like mine only beeps if the boot is open and I go to close the car

Thanks for the reply, I was surprised to not even see a car button to do basic set up as per the manual. 😕

Never mind, I'll see what I can do before making a decision on changing it. 

For mirror folding, here. Stock headunit audio quality is rather awful (then again stock speaker audio quality is awful too). And certainly don't get overpriced satnav option for stock headunit. I'd think of aftermarket headunit & from cheaper speaker upgrades Focal IS165TOY set. From usability/comfort things highly suggest getting some rear camera to ease tight spot parallel parking (rear visibility relatively sucks).

Mine has that unit + Nav. Which is getting a little outdated now.

We've just been to Stirling for a week and a few times it got itself a bit flustered. At one point going over the Queensferry bridge it completely lost the plot.

I'm not sure if I want to spunk the cash on an update or try and find something that will do everything the current unit does.

I couldn't care less about applecar play or streaming so I suppose that narrows it down somewhat.

1 hour ago, DuncanM said:

Another also, when opening the boot and filling with shopping (exciting yes), the car annoyingly beeps at me after a short time. Can I change this?

Is this after you close the lid?

The '86 has a pretty fragile sense of whether it's secure, but also tries to tell whether there's a key inside the car as it locks. The prime candidate for beep-beep is a lightly bent switch bracket that sticks up near the brake master cylinder. It gets bent when someone leans across it because it's made very thinly. I've not got a clear idea yet, but I think for some people the car believes the key is in the boot based on where the owner holds the key when they close the boot, but it might also be a second key close at hand, such as in a partner's pockets.

I think the boot beeping (when the car is locked but the boot is open) is when it cannot see the key - i.e. you've moved away from the boot but it's still open. I think mine does the same from time to time. You'll find it also does it if you leave the car door open and walk away?

Try replacing the battery in the fob - they do not last long.

The stereo is god awful - the UI and design are all the worst of any car I've seen. I have my phone connected via bluetooth with a holder next to the stereo so I never have to use the "touch" screen. That combined with an upgrade to the Focal speakers mentioned above means I'm content. The volume knob is still shite though.

Actually i'd forgive in UI most bugs but two. - What use is touch screen, if i cannot point with finger position in played track for quick forward? - And why it was that hard to implement to normal browse/play dir by dir structure files are grouped with, not just by mp3 tags?

58 minutes ago, Adamd said:

I think the boot beeping (when the car is locked but the boot is open) is when it cannot see the key

So many beeps, so little time. We could probably write a FAQ for them all.

The head unit has very little to do with car settings. Better of getting a Carista OBD dongle and their app which allows you to tweak all manner of things. You get a 1 month free trial of the app with the dongle which should be enough time to set things to your liking 

Thanks everyone, I think I'll just have to get used to the mirrors, and I guess the beeping makes sense re the car not liking how far my key is away! 

It is a little pants, but never mind :)

What's with getting used to mirrors? I linked where you can buy auto-fold module already? BTW, main reason for me to buy that module was to have extra visual cue that car is locked, as mine doesn't beep when locking, just flashing turn signals, easy to miss quiet locks turn sound in loud & bright daylight environment.

On 26/09/2020 at 3:01 PM, Church said:

What's with getting used to mirrors? I linked where you can buy auto-fold module already? BTW, main reason for me to buy that module was to have extra visual cue that car is locked, as mine doesn't beep when locking, just flashing turn signals, easy to miss quiet locks turn sound in loud & bright daylight environment.

Sorry for replying so late! I guess the truth is that if it's too much effort, I'll suck it up and accept it as it is. Thanks for the info though, as I may play about later in the year (y) :)