Sign in to follow this  
andrewbaru

Definitive rattles and worrying noises thread?

Dunno if I'm not searching hard enough.. but has anyone made a definitive thread of "rattles and noises", it seems the car has a lot of rattles that mean different things. Right at the moment I think I've got a few of the less serious ones , but I can see by having a search as your car gets older there are other things that crop up...

• Parcel shelf
    • Bung fibre cloths up the holes to push the parcel shelf up
    • Also, it can be the two little plastic covers that sit on top of the parcel shelf
  • Door cards
    • Wiring looms knocking against something
    • The sides of the switch gear box in the arm rests vibrating slightly
  • C pillars plastic trim
    • I've found adjusting/pressing them "a bit more home" helps, dunno if they get loose, or just mine were fitted in the factory "slightly" wrong
  • "Something" in the Middle Air vents
  • "Something" in or around the instrument cluster making a kinda metallic rattling sound at around 3k rpm or rough roads <- very hard to describe

I "know" there are a lot more to do with serious mechanical stuff... fuel filter noises, the infamous "crickets", exhaust shields, suspension knock, worn ball joint noises, but I'm hoping I'm a looooong way off experiencing those yet!

There's also the ticking of the boot shelf metal sheets sticking and hopping over each other as the car receives torsion. There's a BRZ advisory document for that, although I wasn't terribly successful trying to implement it. Don't know if bunging cloth up there would help.

On 9/25/2020 at 5:26 PM, will300 said:

Thanks this is exactly what I was after

Tbh my 2019 blue edition rattles... there's quite a few. But I just turn my music up and ignore it. Works for me!

That's usually what I end up doing too, but sometimes I just like hearing the boxer noise :)

On 9/25/2020 at 5:26 PM, will300 said:

I remember that guy, and that thread. Unless his car was an absolute Friday afternoon special, I think he went a bit overboard and got obsessive. He even added padding to the external plastic cover for the rear towing eye. Even if that did rattle, how on Earth would you be able to hear it over road and exhaust noise while inside the cabin? He claimed he could, but I don't buy it. 

By all means, have a crack at reducing creaks, but don't let it consume you too much, OP. Remember too, that if you start pulling trim apart, you might introduce more creaks and rattles. You can buy anti rattle tape fairly cheaply on Amazon, might be worth picking up a roll for taping wiring, trim edges, etc. 

On 10/8/2020 at 8:35 AM, Conscript said:

I remember that guy, and that thread. Unless his car was an absolute Friday afternoon special, I think he went a bit overboard and got obsessive. He even added padding to the external plastic cover for the rear towing eye. Even if that did rattle, how on Earth would you be able to hear it over road and exhaust noise while inside the cabin? He claimed he could, but I don't buy it. 

Ha! Funny you should say that, the "felt on the reverse light" was the one that made me think along those lines too 8^D

I also have strong doubts you'd be able to hear the windscreen washer dipstick rattling!!

I think mine are no worse than the window switch gear in the door card, the parcel shelf and something to do with the steering column (at times), from reading around these all seem fixable with a bit of the 'ol tesa. I'm certainly not crazy enough to start taking practically the whole car apart !!! 8^D

Rattles update (I know everyone, contain your excitement!) but I've discovered the odd temperamental rattle in the gauge cluster seems to actually be coming from the centre section of the steering wheel... Specifically the central overlay part that you press for the horn and contains the airbag. What I discovered completely by accident is if you hold that part slightly towards you when it rattles... The rattle stops. I've also discovered that knocking the steering wheel in a certain place makes it do it too, so is easier to diagnose when you're not driving!

Anyone else had this one? It's a bloody annoying rattle. Its like metal on metal and mainly on rough surfaces at reasonable speed and it's quite temperamental...

It sounds very similar to the noise in this video... But it's not quite as bad... And I'm fairly certain it's not coming from a pedal as it was in this video: https://youtu.be/PbmmV2ujX3E