DuncanM

225/45/17 tyres?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Tyres fitted! Four PS4 225's on the stock wheels. I went on a 130 mile trip. Positive are the grip I get accelerating from tight corners and the notably better comfort. Negative are the (hardly noticeable) reduced straight line stability and some tyre hum around 70 mph. Remains to be seen if the wet handling did improve, as it didn't rain today.

Nice one. Can you genuinely feel the better comfort? Tell us more on this after a few weeks of usage please as i am very keen on this one benefit.

10 minutes ago, BRZ-123 said:

Nice one. Can you genuinely feel the better comfort? Tell us more on this after a few weeks of usage please as i am very keen on this one benefit.

I know every mile of today's road trip very well, as I went to this destination multiple times before. Known bumps and ridges clearly feel more dampened, compared to the Primacy tyres.

I'll try to remember to report in a few weeks. Just ask me if I don't. Looking at the weather forecast, I can be pretty sure of rain, so I can get an idea of lateral and longitudinal grip in the wet.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I know every mile of today's road trip very well, as I went to this destination multiple times before. Known bumps and ridges clearly feel more dampened, compared to the Primacy tyres.

I'll try to remember to report in a few weeks. Just ask me if I don't. Looking at the weather forecast, I can be pretty sure of rain, so I can get an idea of lateral and longitudinal grip in the wet.

Its a change of tyre compound + a taller sidewall. So together they should make a lot of difference to comfort compared to the hard rubber of the primacy. How much is the compound and how much the sidewall is a bit of a guess.

7 minutes ago, BRZ-123 said:

Its a change of tyre compound + a taller sidewall. So together they should make a lot of difference to comfort compared to the hard rubber of the primacy. How much is the compound and how much the sidewall is a bit of a guess.

The tread feels way more flexible, due to the compound used. The stiffness of the sidewalls is hard to judge. Due to the increased width of 10 mm, the height of the sidewalls increased by 4.5 mm. This may contribute to less stiffness.

Rain!!! So I got to test the PS4 tyres in the wet. I went to places were I used to fight for grip with the Primacy tyres. The difference is stunning. The PS4's allow normal acceleration from a corner, without having to control the throttle with one toe only. 

Yeah, first day i fitted two years ago ps4, coincided with rain. Never on any tire or car i had that much wet grip, surprised me. Pitty it didn't stand well with track abuse, to fit universal tire role for me.

7 minutes ago, Church said:

Yeah, first day i fitted two years ago ps4, coincided with rain. Never on any tire or car i had that much wet grip, surprised me. Pitty it didn't stand well with track abuse, to fit universal tire role for me.

That's what I expected. The track demands other qualities. That's why professional series use different tyres for dry and wet; even intermediates. As my GT86 is my daily driver, I highly value drivability under a variety of weather conditions.

Problem at time was that more fit for the job, PS4S, weren't and aren't available for 17" in EU. Only new tires in 17" of UUHP class are just released bridgestone potenza sports. MPS4S, Conti SC6, GY F1 SS, all start with 18", unless one lives in US. Hence tried MPS4, but due that caveat, despite how i liked them on the street, they didn't fit for for me as "universal/hybrid" tires with 80%DD/20% track duty. Still, their wet grip was top notch and i can easily advise them for most (except those that want limited grip for more playfulness at slow speeds :) ).

On 5/12/2021 at 11:45 PM, BRZ-123 said:

I've been commuting all week, about 35 miles a day. Having had lots of rain, I can happily report a huge benefit of the newly mounted PS4's.

These tyres definitely offer more comfort on ridges and cobblestones. On large bumps the effect is partly concealed because of stiff springs and dampers.

The overall noise level didn't really change. Maybe the noise is composed of more low frequencies and less high frequencies.

The car tends towards slightly heavier steering, which seems normal, regarding increased width and lateral grip.

Hope to have informed you well. :)

I've been commuting all week, about 35 miles a day. Having had lots of rain, I can happily report a huge benefit of the newly mounted PS4's.
These tyres definitely offer more comfort on ridges and cobblestones. On large bumps the effect is partly concealed because of stiff springs and dampers.
The overall noise level didn't really change. Maybe the noise is composed of more low frequencies and less high frequencies.
The car tends towards slightly heavier steering, which seems normal, regarding increased width and lateral grip.
Hope to have informed you well. 
Thank you Jay. More comfort , less noise and heavier steering is a great summary. What about MPG?
Thank you. You've helped me decide on moving up on that one.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

52 minutes ago, BRZ-123 said:

Thank you Jay. More comfort , less noise and heavier steering is a great summary. What about MPG?
Thank you. You've helped me decide on moving up on that one.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

I don't know about fuel consumption yet. This varies heavily, as our cars have two faces regarding consumption. I'm quite sure that a wider tyre with more grip will burn some extra fuel. From the specifications I'd guess it may cost you an extra gallon per 1000 miles.

Last week I had the PS4's replaced with new ones. The old ones lasted for just over 18000 miles, which I think is reasonable.